The Firm S01E01 Pilot OAD 1/8/12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tiams, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Jan 9, 2012 #1 of 21
    tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Looks like this is basically going to be a "case of the week" with a few minutes of the Evil Firm thrown in here and there. I hope the reason the Firm is evil at least turns out to be interesting.

I find TV legal dramas that center on the question of medical malpractice (faulty heart stents) to be boring. I hope they do more "is he or isn't he guilty of a crime" type cases.

I read the book so long ago I don't even remember it now. What was it, 20 years??

2. Jan 9, 2012 #2 of 21
    markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I don't remember much from the book or movie, but I believe the series picks right up where the book finished. At least I read that somewhere yesterday.

I enjoyed it okay. Enough to tune again to see how it progresses.

3. Jan 9, 2012 #3 of 21
    BradJW

BradJW Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Houston
    It was Ok, but I'm not looking for a case of the week legal drama.

I'll watch again, but not for sure how long.

4. Jan 9, 2012 #4 of 21
    dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    DFW
    I like how they incorporate almost all of the players from the movie, like his brother and the secretary.

Between the evil Mob Boss, the morally-ambiguous Firm, and his almost pro-bono case work, Mitch has his work cut out for him. And I'm sure the government will intervene sometime later to hinder him.

5. Jan 9, 2012 #5 of 21
    Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    10 years later as they exit witness protection.

6. Jan 9, 2012 #6 of 21
    StacieH

StacieH betativowho??

Jan 2, 2009
    Between San...
    I liked it and will definitely keep my season pass for now. Like others, I don't remember much from the book or movie...at all! I don't remember Mitch having a brother, or that David Straithairn played him...but I likes me some David Strathairn! :)

I'll have to go back and watch the movie to refresh my memory.

7. Jan 9, 2012 #7 of 21
    Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    Didn't see the movie or read the book but I liked the show so far.

8. Jan 9, 2012 #8 of 21
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I thought it was decent. The review I read of it called it really slow.

I do think the "action movie" beginning (and explanation of that at the very end) was very different from the rest of the show, and sort of misleading about what type of show it would be.. Also, it kind of seems like once that issue is resolved, how does the show continue?

Plus, what effect did they use on the "action movie" part? As well as having desaturated color, it seemed to be "flickery".. almost like it wasn't showing all frames.

9. Jan 9, 2012 #9 of 21
    TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    From the tribune:

"The Firm," based on the John Grisham novel and movie adaptation, had a two-hour premiere at 9 p.m. that earned an anemic 1.4/3 in the adults 18-49 demographic -- a 46 percent drop from last year's debut of the now canceled "The Cape" and NBC's lowest in-season drama debut on record.

I haven't watched it yet, in fact I'm not recording it till Saturdays repeat.

10. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I'm not quite halfway through and I'm pretty sure I won't stick with it. The courtroom scene when McDeere harassed the kid witness was terrible. I'm not sure he asked any questions. Then after when the parents of the dead kid talked to him he said "I'm a defense lawyer" - ugh! So cliche. I'm also not sure I can take the pained conflicted looks.

11. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    The lead actor playing McDeere is AWFUL.

How they got Julliete Lewis is beyond me.
    And someone I once thought was a good actor really sucks in this.

Tricia Helfer - oy - not much better.
    I guess there was a reason she worked well as a Cylon.

12. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I almost fell asleep during the pilot. Maybe that was because it was so long... and I'm sick and taking good cough medicine. But, it was a bit boring for me.

I'll give it a few more episodes. But, I'm not feeling it yet.

13. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I just watched and actually enjoyed it a bit. I thought McDeere was okay - an older McDeere than what we saw in the book/movie. I would have liked a bit more passion but I liked the actor, loved the blue eyes and I felt like a sort of hint of Cruise to him - hairstyle and facial features a bit. I liked the guy that played Ray and yet Tammy was just almost silly.

I put it on my SP and will see how it goes. It sort of reminds me of the tv show The Guardian for some reason.

14. Mikeyis4dcats

Mikeyis4dcats Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2003
    I liked it, especially for a pilot.

15. Tracy

Tracy Truly

Mar 12, 2000
    Galena, IL
    I watched it but as soon as I discovered it was pretty much another legal drama, I stopped and deleted. Plus, it didn't engage me. I like the actress that plays his wife, but that isn't enough.

16. swinca

swinca Menace to society

Jun 19, 2003
    Jaw-ja y'all
    I was hoping to like it but it didn't hold my attention. I didn't finish watching it. Season pass deleted.

17. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I watched it, expecting very little as I'd read bad reviews. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, so I'll keep it around for a while.

18. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    The fact that Mitch was using a payphone in the first couple of minutes made me assume the action was taking place in the same time period the book did or before he went into witness protection (10 years ago). When it was made clear the chase scene was taking place in the present day, I thought, "A payphone? WTF"

19. Mikeyis4dcats

Mikeyis4dcats Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2003
    he was using it to be anonymous and untraceable.

Payphones are hard to find, but not impossible.

20. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Maybe they're more common in DC then elsewhere... ya know, because it's DC.

:)