The feature I would REALLY like to see from Tivo.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by danjw1, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Aug 2, 2007 #1 of 28
    danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    I just ordered my Tivo HD and I am not looking forward to moving all my settings over the the new Tivo. It would be great if they would add the ability to transfer settings from a Tivo on the same network.

Dan

2. Aug 2, 2007 #2 of 28
    purefct

purefct New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Anaheim CA
    Not only to transfer everything, but decide to move or copy individual SP/WL or all of them. I'd also like to be able to move/copy my ratings, etc.

It would be beneficial to have the ability for Tivos in your house to share recording responsibilities when there is a conflict between shows to record.
    - Then have an option selectable by the user to either leave the show on the alternate unit or automatically transfer the show to the Tivo unit which couldn't record due to the conflict.

Once upon a time I had over 200 season passes and whishlist items. I'm down to about 100 now but I'm also using another company's DVR since Tivo doesn't record HD from satelite. I had a second Tivo for a period of time and just couldn't bring myself to re-enter all the SP/WL. I use the ratings to remind me if I've already seen a movie or a non-series show so I can delete them from the To Do list faster (or prevent it from recording and learn after the recording I could have deleted it). I ended up specializing the two Tivos since I had to build a new ratings list on the second Tivo. This is a waste of my time, especially when Tivo could do this once and all the users would save countless thousands of hours of manually doing it.

3. Aug 2, 2007 #3 of 28
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Been discussed so many times....

4. Aug 2, 2007 #4 of 28
    minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
    Then maybe TiVo should take the hint!

5. Aug 2, 2007 #5 of 28
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    If you replace a TiVo on your account (an S2 or S3) with a new box (change the TSN from tivo.com that is), then your Season Passes will be transferred automatically. Otherwise, you are out of luck.

6. Aug 2, 2007 #6 of 28
    ebf

ebf New Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Are you sure about that? I swapped boxes ages ago and do not remember that magic happening. And if it could, then there is not reason TiVo could not offer that feature in other situations.

[edit for magic, not majic!]

7. Aug 3, 2007 #7 of 28
    purefct

purefct New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Anaheim CA
    If you replace a Tivo, the old Tivo can't transfer your SP since it's not on your account any longer! I've added a Tivo to my account and nothing transfers automatically from one box to the other. The only thing I know you can transfer is a recorded show, which brings up another item to want; have the two units recognize each other as secure, pass a security key between each other, then rather than translate the entire recorded show from one unit to the other, copy it instead. It should be just as secure, and satisfies the owner's need for instant gratification. C'mon, 40 minutes to transfer an hour show? Based on size, the file should copy in about two minutes.

aadam101, rather than putting people down, how about helping out? List the last ten threads where this was discussed, mention key players who are supporting a feature like this, help newbies learn something rather than quipping in such a vague manner you know something others do not. Help, don't hinder!

8. Aug 3, 2007 #8 of 28
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    IIRC, that only works if you've changed your privacy settings to allow it.

9. Aug 3, 2007 #9 of 28
    Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Maybe you should take the hint that it isn't going to happen!

10. IHDB

IHDB New Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Is that really called for? Do you really think that it's all that unhelpful for people to ask for features that they would like? :rolleyes:

11. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Welcome to the Forum Dan.

Yes it would be great to be able to transfer settings over from one unit to another.

If you replaced a unit on your account (Say a Series 2) to a Series 3, it would be great to be able to transfer over all your wishlists, season passes etc.

Maybe someone from Tivo may see this and think... WOW... another great idea we could work on.

12. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina
    Doesn't anyone think it's fun to setup season passes again with a fresh system?

Do you really need to transfer your Knights Of Prosperity and Dana Carvey show season passes?

13. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    That's now that I was doing. I just wanted the op to know that there are probably 20 threads about this already that he is more than welcome to read.

14. purefct

purefct New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Anaheim CA
    Yeah, but ... you have almost 1,200 posts, he has less than 20 and I less than 100. If you've been that active you should be a vetran who can be a mentor, not a tormentor. Help, really help, and if we post 100+ posts without searching THEN be crabby. Besides, even if it has been mentioned before, the group's desire for better product won't be recognized unless it's mentioned repeatedly.

Maybe you can help me. When I search, for example on "backdoor" I read about the codes but I can't figure out what the "B" button is. Perhaps it's because I can't enable backdoor, but everywhere I search people reference the B button but no one says which button it actually is.

15. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    You lost me. I spend most of my time on the off topic forum.

16. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    The only time this will happen is if you are Opt'd in (whatever that means, something to do with less privacy) and you replace the HD in your TiVo the servers will see that the SP/WL setup is different than what it thinks it should be and will restore the SP/WL settings. But it has to be the same TSN.

17. purefct

purefct New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Anaheim CA
    What button on the remote is the B button?

18. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    If you replace one TiVo with another TiVo your SPs, etc, do NOT migrate to the new one.

The 'magic restore' only happens if you replace the drive in the SAME TiVo - and you've set your privacy to OPT-IN before hand. Using GuruGuides and KidZone online will ask you to do that - and I think Swivel Search and some other things also ask you to opt in now too.

This is because the servers store a mirror of your Season Pass list and keeps it in sync with the unit. So if the drive is replaced and the server sees the unit has 'lost' its SPs, they get restored. But this is tied to the TSN, so it doesn't migrate to a new unit.

19. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    even a Zen master with a big stick can bring you to enlightenment, as it is better to reproach the student the first time versus the 100th time.

20. purefct

purefct New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Anaheim CA
    LoL, reproach before education ... another high poster who's a tormentor and not a mentor. The stick only works if the Zen master took the time to teach the student first! Otherwise he's a bully who enjoys tormenting.

Thanks for not answering the B button question. A mentor answered another post I had, turns out the threads I read were referring to the Oija board and not the remote.

I vow to work towards being a mentor, not a tormentor. I ask forgiveness for any wrongs I've committed to date and will work from now on to help others when I can!