The Expanse Season 5

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Allanon, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Oct 9, 2020 #1 of 17
    Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005

Advertisements

The Expanse season 5 will be streaming on Amazon Prime Video starting December 16, 2020. Here is a trailer:

Beryl, wprager, stellie93 and 2 others like this.
  2. Oct 9, 2020 #2 of 17
    doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    After feeling a little let down by Season 4 (it seemed to be various human drama interspersed with magical alien technobabble), the trailer for Season 5 looks really good.

jakerock likes this.
  3. Oct 9, 2020 #3 of 17
    MacThor

MacThor Not Pictured

Feb 7, 2002
    Richmond VA
    Man, I really need to go back and finish Season 3. I lost all momentum at the "midpoint" (don't want to spoiler it).

4. Oct 9, 2020 #4 of 17
    wedgecon

wedgecon Just Plain Awesome TCF Club

Dec 28, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    The book season 4 is based on "Cibola Burn" is considered by many fans to be the weakest of the eight published so far. The next book "Nemesis Games" is consistently rated by fans as one of the best.

jakerock and gweempose like this.
  5. Oct 9, 2020 #5 of 17
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

I thought it was a typo when I saw the reference to season 5. It's been around that long? Wow.

6. Oct 9, 2020 #6 of 17
    Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    Damn... Lis looks great.

I haven't read the books yet, so while I know they're jumping around and combining books into seasons (much like Bosch does), how much is missing from the story by them doing that? If I start to read the series will I be pissed off by how much they cut from the books?

7. Oct 9, 2020 #7 of 17
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    To me, it's kind of like Game of Thrones (at least, for as long as they had books to follow, before they were left on their own and began to struggle). They cut an enormous amount out because, well, they really had to, but they did a pretty brilliant job of it. So the books are like the show, only a lot more of it. And the show condenses the books down, but again, they did a pretty brilliant job of it.

In the case of Game of Thrones, I prefer the books to the early seasons, just because it's the same only so much more of it, but as the books kinda lose their way the show becomes better. In the case of The Exapnse, again, I prefer the books, but only because there's so much more there. The show is still amazing in its own right. (But the books have not yet lost their way, and as they approach the finalé it doesn't seem likely that they will!)

stellie93 likes this.
  8. Oct 9, 2020 #8 of 17
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I've been reading the books when I find the time. I'm about 90% of the way through Cibola Burn. I forgot most of what had happened during the first few seasons so I've been trying to re-watch them as well. Just finished the first season and it was like watching it for the first time. One thing about the books is that there are also some short novellas that fit in between the main books that provide back stories on some of the characters and how space travel evolved to where they could extend their reach to the outer planets. I'm looking forward to getting to the other books in the series. Good stuff.

9. Oct 9, 2020 #9 of 17
    Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Here is how the books lines up with the show's episodes.

[​IMG]

• Book 1: Leviathan Wakes
    • Book 2: Caliban's War
    • Book 3: Abaddon's Gate
    • Book 4: Cibola Burn
    • Book 5: Nemesis Games
    • Book 6: Babylon's Ashes
    • Book 7: Persepolis Rising
    • Book 8: Tiamat's Wrath
    • Book 9: Leviathan Falls
    Source

wmcbrine and stellie93 like this.
  10. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Is the last book--leviathan falls--out yet? I'm not sure if I've read it or not. :confused:

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Nope. They're only saying "2021" at this point, AFAIK.

stellie93 likes this.
  12. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Here are the missing novellas:

Book 0.1 - The Drive
    Book 0.25 - The Churn
    Book 0.5 - The Butcher of Anderson Station
    Book 2.5 - Gods of Risk
    Book 5.5 - The Vital Abyss
    Book 6.5 - Strange Dogs

These provide back stories for the entire series as well as some of the main characters

13. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That's their chronological order, but if you're reading with the books I would read them in publication order; otherwise, you'll get novel spoilers.

Book 1.5 - The Butcher of Anderson Station
    Book 2.5a - Gods of Risk
    Book 2.5b - The Drive
    Book 3.5 - The Churn
    Book 5.5 - The Vital Abyss
    Book 6.5 - Strange Dogs

14. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I read the first four books in the list in the chronological order I posted and don't recall anything that would be considered a spoiler, at least nothing that spoiled the other books I've read so far. This is how they're numbered in the book library on my phone app so that's the order I've been reading them in.

The Butcher of Anderson Station is the backstory of Fred Johnson and how he got the name.
    The Drive is about the scientist/engineer that developed the drive engine that allowed people from earth to travel to the further reaches of their solar system.
    The Churn is about Amos when he was younger.
    I actually don't recall reading Gods of Risk yet. I must have skipped over that one.

You could actually read them in whatever order you feel like as they would be more of a flashback than a spoiler.

jakerock likes this.
  15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Right, and since the ones that are flashbacks are written as flashbacks, I think it's best to read them that way.

Why get Amos's backstory before you've ever met Amos? Why not meet Amos when he's introduced instead of before? Etc...

I know some people are adamant about reading series in chronological order no matter what, but I've always been a firm believer in authorial intent. They wrote them in that order for a reason.

jakerock likes this.
  16. MacThor

MacThor Not Pictured

Feb 7, 2002
    Richmond VA
    Anyone who watched Star Wars in chronological order probably never made it to Episode III. :)

ej42137 and Rob Helmerichs like this.
  17. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I agree about The Churn being too soon in the sequence. Same with The Butcher of Anderson Station. I had already seen the TV series before I started reading any of the books so it was like a flashback to me since I was already familiar with the characters. I think I had read Leviathan Wakes before going back and reading the first couple of novellas so that flashed me back. For someone unfamiliar with the TV series or the books your sequence makes much more sense.