1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Expanse - S3 E6 - "Immolation"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, May 18, 2018.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Ok, did people watch it? If not and they didn't watch some of the previous eps, that's surely part of why it's being cancelled. :(

‘The Expanse’ To End On Syfy With Season 3, Will Be Shopped Elsewhere By Alcon
    Save 'The Expanse'! Fans, Celebs (and Even an Astronaut) Rally Behind Canceled Show points to Watch the latest The Expanse episode on DVR or Amazon.

This was a pretty good ep. I was a bit surprised that Nguyen was alive in a space suit, he didn't shoot the Roci crew who came over and that he didn't want to leave either. Then again, he had nothing really to gain if he escaped from the Agatha King. He'd either be executed or spend life in jail anyway.

I saw some blurbs about what happens in the books over at Agatha King (Books) and Augusto Nguyen (Books), and clearly, the TV show diverged from the book.

I thought that Bobbie Draper was going to die in this ep, due to that battle.

Is Mei actually ok or did Dr. Strickland already inject her w/stuff that has started the process?

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, either way she's not OK...the reason she was being treated in the first place was because of a genetic disorder she suffers from.

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    What really confused me is that I suspect there was a missing scene or it was cut for time since I rewound and still didn't see it.
    We have Bobbie at the bottom of the fall having killed the hybrid with her suit power failing and then after the break she's on the ship and getting hooked up in medbay...
    I'm usually ok with not spelling everything out, but this one was a big leap, I was sure she was dead when we went to commercial :)

4. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    He tried to shoot them, but his gun was empty. Remember, he was shot himself during the fight.

Right after she shot the hybrid and the camera was pulling back, we heard her radio for evac. Someone went out and got her. They didn't show that part.

The thing I didn't like about this episode was it seemed a departure for me from the realism that they strive for: they are on Io which has gravity less than 20% Earth gravity... and they're plummeting to the ground hard enough to break Bobbie's suit which can stop bullets without trying? Bobbie can't lift up her arm to aim her gun? That's just really ridiculous. She should have been able to pretty much jump out of Io's gravity well with that suit.

5. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    To be fair, the HUD graphic seemed to indicate that Bobbie was chewing up the suit's power at a prodigious rate (not a surprise, she was fighting a hybrid) and was running close to empty when they fell.
    Factor in that she'd been taking damage and took more damage when she fell......

That said, I more or less agree with you as I immediately thought that they were falling much too fast for Io's gravity and it probably shouldn't have caused that much (additional) damage.

I did like the fact, that when the King crewman shot the Protoy crewman in Coyter's cell, he didn't fall to the deck.

Also, this is the best Science Fiction show I've seen in the last several years.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  6. sfenton

sfenton Member TCF Club

Feb 8, 2004
    Acworth Ga
    I wonder if this is true or it is just something Strickland said because she was an ideal subject for his experiments. A mysterious disorder would give him complete access with little suspicion.

7. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    I'm more confused by what happened right before that, and wondering if I missed something. Why did the hybrid stop attacking, and look off to it's right, so distracted it let itself be shot in the head?

For a moment I thought it might be hunting sources of power, and lost interest when Bobbie's suit ran out of energy, but that doesn't really make sense. Or was there a part of the plan earlier that I missed (distracting it with another power source)? Or perhaps was there some explenation of it being distracted by other protomolacule goings on elsewhere?

8. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Wasn't that at the time the ship was launching from Venus? The protomolocules are all connected somehow, we learned in previous episodes. So I assumed the hybrid was distracted by the launch.

cwerdna likes this.
  9. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    In the book, the suit was in the process of rebooting, so none of the mechanical augmentation was working, in fact she had to fight against the locked down motors to move her arm. I guess they couldn't find a good way to do that much exposition in the show :). Also in the book, almost everyone had a different role, though a lot of the same action took place with different characters.

10. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I wondered that too. After the episode ended and seeing the ship thingy leaving Venus, I assumed that the hybrid was distracted by what was happening on Venus.

11. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'm happy that my big Martian Marine tv girlfriend with the funny accent is still alive.

12. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Another thing I've liked so far is how they developed the friendship between Amos and Prax.

And:

Amos: Doc, you're not that guy.
    Strickland: Oh, thank God.
    Amos: I am that guy.

dcheesi likes this.
  13. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Speaking of funny accents, I was curious how Cara Gee (plays Drummer (TV)) normally talks. Not all that surprisingly, from doing some searches on YouTube like cara gee - YouTube, she talks more/less like a typical Canadian outside of the show.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, she was the lead in Strange Empire (the Canadian Western about a town run by women)...

15. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Which I'd never heard about until those YouTube videos/your replies. Don't know if that ever aired on any US channels I watch but there's no CBC (AFAIK) on my Comcrap lineup.

When I lived in WA state, we did IIRC get CBUT, a CBC-affiliate on our Comcrap and maybe FiOS (Verizon then Frontier) TV lineup.

16. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I wondered if perhaps it was Katoa reasserting control, wanting to die.

17. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    The hard part about a show that features as a primary motif the notion that characters are all working on incorrect or out of date information is, after 3 years, I myself am starting to lose track of what's true vs what people believe. The only people who actually have a "sample" of the protomolecule, other than some remnants here and there (on the Roci's innards, etc.) are Mao's group (Protogen? Or is that defunct now?) and now Fred Johnson, right? Other than the kids, I mean, who may or may not be inoculated.

So the whole time they've been saying that it's out in the wild now and impossible to control, it wasn't entirely true until now. Except, I guess, that it probably was due to all the smatterings here and there.

18. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Don't forget about Venus...that's pretty thoroughly in the wild and impossible to control!

19. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Sure, but we spent most of last season watching Holden try to destroy all the other remnants, so I'm assuming his "logic" was only to count people trying to use it in some fashion, or that they didn't realize it was still around for most of that time.