The Expanse S3 E12 and E13 (season finale) - Congregation and Abaddon's Gate

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, Jun 30, 2018.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Surprised there have been no S3 episode threads for awhile.

I finally finished it the other night. I was confused by the scene where Ashford's head was bashed into the console yet he's standing straight up afterward. But then later, he's laying down in another scene w/Drummer.

Someone at my work said something like they went much faster than the books to get to this point.

I wonder if we'll see much more of Melba/Clarissa. I was originally wondering how Bobbie Draper was going to explain the two dead Martian marines with her.

I skimmed the review at https://tv.avclub.com/the-expanse-flies-too-fast-into-its-season-finale-1827187889. I found it kinda funny that Anna kept babbling. If not in the book, I wonder if the writers were struggling to write lines for her to babble.

I just finished reading 'The Expanse' finale explained, and season 4 scoop revealed. I definitely wouldn't read it unless you finished the finale.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  2. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    It definitely looked like they wrote it to reach a place they could call a halt if they had to. I'm glad they don't have to.

3. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
  4. Jul 1, 2018 #4 of 59
    cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Strange this thread is so quiet.
    Given the above and so little chatter here, I guess few here on TCF are watching/caught up.

5. Jul 1, 2018 #5 of 59
    dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    After seeing the second half of the season, I'd be mightily pissed if the show had been canceled. It good really good.

6. Jul 1, 2018 #6 of 59
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    It was cancelled by SyFy, but Amazon picked it up for S4.

7. Jul 1, 2018 #7 of 59
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    He's not standing up, he's floating (with his feet still on the floor). The bridge is zero-g, but everyone has mag boots, so basically you only notice the zero-g when somebody is incapacitated.

I haven't read the books, but it was hard not to notice that episodes 1-6 felt like the conclusion of one story (book?), while episode 7 started a new story that's now already concluded. So, yeah, a fast pace.

I'm pretty sure she's dead? (Foreshadowed by her asking about someone redeeming themselves with an action at the end of their lives.)

8. Jul 1, 2018 #8 of 59
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    We saw Clarissa at the end medley wearing the chemical restraint on her arm so I'm guessing that she's still alive.

Fascinating finale.
    A lot of things to like in this.

Ashford wasn't a traditional "villain". His motive was to protect everyone and his actions understandable thus making the conflict more interesting.

I laughed out loud when Naomi "dropped" the elevator on Diogo and his crew.

I loved all the interactions between Amos and Anna, especially the look on his face when she smacked Clarissa.

The ending opens up about 1300 possibilities although I'm a little confused about whether the Rocinante was actually returning to Earth (or at least Tycho Station) or going through another "Stargate" due to Miller's comment about "needing a ride" (because he has a mystery to solve).

And Bobbie signing up with the crew!
    Looking forward to Season 4.

9. Jul 2, 2018 #9 of 59
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles

dianebrat likes this.
  10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    F Frankie Adams? That's the name she chooses?!?!?

:D

11. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I was on vacation last week so I just was able to watch last night... a very well-done finale although I agree they had to rush to fit it in, and that (IMO) lost some of the great plot work they've managed in the past. I definitely can't wait for next season on Amazon! Amos and Anna were fantastic together.

12. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Since "Lost", I never liked the acting of Elizabeth Mitchell. Not sure why, but the cadence of her voice and her smile turns me off.

I really liked the acting of Cara Gee as Drummer.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  13. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    I dont agree here, while zero-g would help him stand Ashford definitely seemed conscious and was reacting to what was being shown on the console. The way the guy he shot floated is what I would expect if unconscious.

In the elevator drop scene, I want to know where they found a space suit big enough to fit over Drummer's exoskeleton gear

14. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    They didn't.

--Carlos V.

15. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I would have expected the Martian suits to have had some kind of security features to prevent some random bad guys from obtaining and making unauthorized use of them. I would have also expected them to be individually tuned / fitted to their owners, and require some level of training to use effectively.

Elevator drop scene, as brief as it was, was one of my favorite scenes of the series.

If I have a criticism, it was with Ashford. I was really getting to like the character, and it felt like it was very forced to have him suddenly stop listening to everyone and decide to unilaterally destroy the gate, using a mechanism that wasn't guaranteed to work, and was likely to only throw the station into a more defensive mode. Throughout the season they made the Ashford character very rational, and at the end had him behave irrationally.

It was a good finale to a good season. Ended up pretty much where I would have expected them to take it relative to the novels.

16. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    It's kinda funny that Naomi is the only competent mechanic in the solar system.

cwerdna likes this.
  17. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I think the issue was that Ashford was acting out of fear (which was Holden's point).
    And he had good reason to be scared with everything that was going on.

If we hadn't following the adventures of Holden for a few years now, we'd have thought that he was insane too and been lock step with Ashford.

Tony_T likes this.
  18. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Mutiny against his captain, executing people on the bridge who disagree with him, refusing to even try the reactor power down, ... I don't think so.

I think Ashford's true motivation did come across in one of his dialog lines in the episode, which was not just to prevent the immediate destruction of the Earth system, but to deny future humans access to the gate as well. That's why he didn't want to try the power-down strategy, because that strategy might have succeeded. So yes it was fear, fear of change.

IIRC this attitude by various characters was more developed in the novels. The ring meant a significant change in the power structure of the solar system. Suddenly the divisions between Earth, Mars, and the Belt don't mean much. Who is going to be out there terraforming Mars or hollowing out asteroids when there's the potential to simply travel to unoccupied habitable worlds?

19. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I could understand his reluctance to power down since the idea came from a dead man, Miller.

cwerdna and JYoung like this.
  20. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    He's fighting to save the human race from being wiped out and you're of the opinion that he overdid it?

I mean the guys on the other side are taking advice from a dead man.
    That's just crazy talk.

:)

Although I would contend that fear contributed to his reactions.

Of course he wanted to to cut off access to the Ring. From what he gleaned it had the power to destroy all of humanity.
    That's terrifying and I can't necessarily blame him for being terrified.

I don't think you can argue that Ashford wanted to cut off humans from Interstellar travel due to the changes that it would make to human society since the humans didn't know that the Ring was a gateway to other solar systems until the other gateways opened up in ring space.
    Which was after all the ships powered down and proved that humans weren't a threat.

It is an interesting potential future plot point though.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018