The Expanse - S03E08 - It Reaches Out - 05/30/2018

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Jun 2, 2018 #1 of 23
    cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA

Advertisements

Finally an ep where more happens.

What was up with the motions that cameraman saboteur was making? That was crazy with the forged (?) footage of Holden went out. Out of curiosity, in the books, does something similar happen? Also, in the books, does he also mysteriously see (strangely acting) Miller and nobody else does?

I'm guessing we'll find out in future eps who that saboteur is working for and whether the female reporter is in collusion with him.

Is the Thomas Prince supposed to be a bit more advanced (or less heavily armed) than the Agatha King? It appears that way from the bridge. Or, it's just there seems to be more room on the bridge w/the flat panels on the wall.

2. Jun 2, 2018 #2 of 23
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    As I recall correctly, yes. Maybe a careful rewatching of the episode will reveal a clue. They seem to follow the books relatively closely.

Do also consider that of the people on the Roci, Miller was closest to Holden, and they did spend all that time together on Eros.

I wonder how this would have been different if this had been a television show from the start rather than a novel. In a novel it's easy for a character to go missing for a book and then show back up. On a television show it must be difficult on the casting department to get actors willing to be awol for a season and then show back up.

I enjoyed this episode. One of the UNN guys asked at the beginning of the episode asked more-or-less the same question I asked last week ("why wasn't the racer pancaked?").

I really like the character of Miller and the actor who plays Miller. I'm glad we get to see more of him.

3. Jun 3, 2018 #3 of 23
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Yes, to both those questions. The TV series is following pretty closely to the plotting of the books. Which is great, because the plots are really quite excellent: intricate and they hold together very well. No worries of some sort of plot collapse into a pile of spaghetti by the end.

They are moving some things around a bit and condensed some more minor characters, mainly to make things fit into a pretty short season I suspect. But major things like Miller and the Holden confession broadcast are pretty much as they happened in the books. Same with the sabotage.

thewebgal likes this.
  4. Jun 4, 2018 #4 of 23
    Saturn_V

Saturn_V Now with flavor!

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    I'm starting to feel like they may wrap up Book 3 (Abaddon's Gate) *this season,* instead of letting it spill over into next as the previous two seasons have done. We still have five episodes left- and it's more than enough to cover the remaining plot. And it's rumored (from reddit)

that the show's going to Ilus, a planet from book 4: Cibola Burn.

What they've done with Ashford/Drummer/Naomi is brilliant compared to the book. And I'm loving Stratiharn's performance- even if his Belter creole seems a little funky.

5. Jun 4, 2018 #5 of 23
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003

Advertisements

That novel always felt like somewhat of a side adventure to me, with several major characters and politics left behind. I could have seen them instead switching to Nemesis Games, and continuing to explore politics within the system. Then again, you kinda have to let Cibola Burn play out to wrap up the Miller story.

I'm kinda looking forward to seeing Marcos Inaros at some point, assuming the series continues long enough (following your spoiler, if Cibola Burn is S4, Nemesis Games couldn't happen until S5)

I do find belter-speak far less annoying on screen than I did in the novels.

6. Jun 4, 2018 #6 of 23
    tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Book -> show change theory:

In the book Ashford wanted to destroy the ring out of religious fanaticism, I don't see the show Ashford having that problem, but I wonder if he would want to destroy the ring because he sees new planets as a threat to the belters?

7. Jun 4, 2018 #7 of 23
    Saturn_V

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    You wouldn't need an entire season to tell Cibola Burn. Three or five episodes tops. An sharp scribe can probably do a two hour movie on it.

Ashford is to Anderson Dawes as Drummer is to Fred Johnson- and his primary motivation is controlling Behemoth.

But the moment I saw the new Belter unis I thought Free Navy. I too want to see Marco Inaros and Naomi's son; so I'd rather not Ashford usurp that role.

8. Jun 4, 2018 #8 of 23
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Damn, this arc is really heating up.

I hope that Holden doesn't spend more than a few minutes trying to figure out who the saboteur on the Rocinante is.

9. Jun 5, 2018 #9 of 23
    tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Minor irritant: Are the writers just pretending they never changed the name of the Rocinante in the earlier episode? Seems like a truly pointless thing to have done.

10. Saturn_V

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    Over six months have passed since the war- why they changed their transponder ID in the first place. Do we really need to see a scene of them reclaiming their name when so much has transpired in the six months?

11. thewebgal

thewebgal MacAphile AV geek

Aug 10, 2007
    DC 'burbs
    I like how it's been shot, I liked the story (read all the books) and am hoping
    there isn't too long a delay between the syfy eps and the Amazon eps!

12. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Didn't understand that all first, then realized that he's blind.

cwerdna likes this.
  13. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I believe he sees through his cameras, which his hand motions are controlling. I presume he tracks things by moving his cameras, not his eyes, and so appears blind because his eyes don't track.

Tony_T likes this.
  14. Saturn_V

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    The sensors are in his fingers. That's how he sees.

15. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
  16. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    He's definitely blind. Amos referred to it.
    I looked to me also like he sees through the camera and uses his hands to move the camera.

17. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    He definitely sees common visual information through his camera drones. But there are other times where he's not using his drones, and it seems like he's using his hands to "map" the surfaces he's interacting with from a small distance. So probably a different set of sensors (perhaps magnetic?) built into his fingertips that he also uses to "see" in a different way.

18. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I missed that he didn't always have his drones with him.
    Could be that there are teeny tiny cameras embedded in his fingertips.

(Anyway, glad that Amazon picked up S4, but was hoping Hulu would. Guess I'll binge next year so that I only have to pay 1mo to Bezo ;))

19. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I figured at those times he was manipulating the drones remotely...

20. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    The gestures are somewhat similar, but it seemed clear to me when he was running his hands over the surfaces he was following the contours of said surfaces. If he was controlling the drones, he wouldn't have to get his hands that close, and in any case I don't recall seeing any drones in those particular scenes/shots.