1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Expanse - S03E07- Delta-V - 05/23/2018

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by JYoung, May 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Arguably, three people lost their heads this episode.

So "Eros" has left Venus, moved out to beyond Uranus, and become "The Ring".
    Yes, it looks like a giant Stargate (and could be a prelude to an invasion).

And that was an interesting version of Highway Star that the racer was playing.
    Belter version?

thewebgal likes this.
  2. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
  3. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Jeff Bezos announces Amazon is picking up 'The Expanse' also echoes the above and has a tweet from Cas Avanar w/Jeff Bezos talking. YAY!!!!

That said, this ep was a real let down to me compared to some of the earlier eps in this season. And, I really didn't like the headbanger guy. Was he in the books?

I also had no idea that the nervous woman planting the explosives was
    Clarissa Mao (TV)
    until I stumbled across it the other day.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, you wouldn't, since it hasn't been revealed in the show yet...

5. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    ^^^
    Thanks. I "spoilered" it now.

Rob Helmerichs likes this.
  6. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    At last the plot is moving on! I'm very excited. Also Miller reappears!

The "headbanger guy" is not really specific enough for me to know who you mean. Are you talking about the racing ship driving Belter? Luckily for you, if you didn't like him, he's clearly not going to be an ongoing character :). He's important, though, since he gets the action moving around the Ring.

Yes, that bit of plot is almost straight out of the books, including the ending.

7. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Yes, the racing guy who decided to fly thru the ring and lost his head. See? "Headbanger guy" was specific enough. :D

8. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    There's really no need to lose your head over this.

;)

dianebrat likes this.
  9. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    That whole scene reminded me a lot of the Epstein scene from season 2. Both guys flying solo. Both guys who gained fame at their time of death. The filmography of had a similar feel. The difference for me was in the personality of the pilot. I didn't care for the headbanger guy either, but I did like Epstein.

Any physics guys handy? Shouldn't such a rapid change in velocity have also crumpled the racer's ship?

10. madscientist

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    It's alien technology. No physics people can comment ;)

11. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    It was a human-built ship, and I'm sure one of our physics types could make an educated guess as to how fast it was traveling before and after it encountered the ring, based on what we were shown during the episode. From that you could calculate the forces that the pilot was subjected to.

I suppose the racing ship (including the pilot's chair and restraint system) was only designed to withstand acceleration in one direction. If you want to slow down, you rotate 180 and then slow down. So it's designed to support his head moving forward, but not backward.

12. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Eros was loaded with humans and technology.
    How did it move out of it's orbit and all the way to Venus?

stellie93 likes this.
  13. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I do wonder if we're going to see more Deep Purple covers in upcoming episodes.

I could see Amos rocking out to Space Truckin'.

14. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    Something can move a great distance, consistent with our physics, even with people on it. It's acceleration that you have to limit if you want to keep humans alive. Perhaps the protomolecule is capable of engineering relatively mild acceleration, yet applying it for a long duration. You could build up a lot of velocity and still not pulp the humans and tech.

15. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    What propulsion system did Eros use?

Also, if you recall, the Rocinante had to initiate a high G burn to try and catch up and they couldn't maintain an even acceleration curve with Eros, let alone a superior one. And it was taxing a trained space crew beyond their physical limits.

The point is, The Ring probably has similar unknown "technology".

16. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    It went from Saturn to beyond Uranus in a matter of months. Hundreds, perhaps thousands of miles per second, obviously. Many times faster than a rifle bullet. The physics of impact is essentially the same as a meteor impact, except much, much more violent. The racing ship would become a hot, dirty cloud of gas if it hit any material object, it wouldn't matter what.

However, what it hit was an alien something whose properties are understood in detail by just two people: James S. A. Corey. Only they could explain the physics of the impact.

17. madscientist

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Yes. That's what I was trying to say. Thanks!

18. Saturn_V

Saturn_V Now with flavor!

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    It will all become clear in upcoming episodes.

now to distract you with something shiny: SyFy actually promoting the show! (some spoilers ahead- ok if you've read the novels.)

These are 360 videos, click-and-drag to pan around.

cwerdna and stellie93 like this.
  19. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    I've already read the books, though it was some time ago. I recall the "what" and the "why" becoming clear, but not necessarily a "how" that explains the death of the pilot but not the utter destruction of the ship. Maybe I need to spend some time re-reading.

That's assuming they care about an explanation. They seem to be able to do a pretty good job of walking the fine line of a story that's truer to physics than many, yet takes sufficient liberties with reality to be interesting. Maybe they just felt the imagery of human pulping was superior to the imagery of total spacecraft obliteration.

20. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Perhaps you didn't read my post very carefully; I wrote "could", not "would".