The Event "You Bury Other Things Too" 4/4/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jschuur, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Apr 5, 2011 #1 of 47
    jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    I stand by my previous assertion that there are no likable characters left on this show. They're all either pusssies or evil scum bags. If they keep this up, even the scfi-fi geek in me won't want to watch this show anymore.

Heck, after tonight's episode, Sean might be the only one with balls and a spine left on the rapidly depleting side of the good guys.

2. Apr 5, 2011 #2 of 47
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I still think the President is a good guy, previously too indecisive but now kicking alien ass and taking names. I despise Sean. I know nothing will happen to him since he's the ridiculous hero of this show but I hope for his death every minute he's on the screen. You're no Jack Bauer, Sean Walker!

3. Apr 5, 2011 #3 of 47
    jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    Whenever Dempsey had someone killed, wasn't it almost always by shooting? Not too long ago Dempsey shot someone himself. So when he orders the woman to be killed they bring out the old cliche of 'I'm going to leave you alive and not witness your death and just assume you're done with'.
    Does anyone doubt she's still alive?

4. Apr 5, 2011 #4 of 47
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I don't know, it's hard to take him seriously because the writers bend his characterization to the breaking point every time they need him to do something. He always does whatever will make the situation worse, whether it's accommodating the aliens to ridiculous extremes or attacking the aliens to ridiculous extremes. It would be nice (as even his wife points out, but she's supposed to be an alien [I don't believe she is, but at this point we're supposed to believe she is]) if he would show a little consistency. But instead he engages in these absurd mood swings that in the real world would have 25th Amendment implications.

Maybe a better show could pull off having a weak president who is constantly pulled in the wrong direction by reacting blindly against his previous mistakes, but as we've firmly established, this is not a better show. The only reason I'm still watching is because I've come this far and have some residual curiosity to see where the hell they think they're going with all this...

5. Apr 5, 2011 #5 of 47
    cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Yeah, but the President has always been in a no-win situation. No matter what decision he made, he either got porked directly by Thomas or through a duped Sophia. He tried diplomacy first and it didn't work.

Why do bad guys come up with complicated ways to murder someone? Dempsey says "Kill her" and the moron minion ties her up and sets the house on fire? No! Just shoot her.

Also, why do bad guys with automatic weapons always seem to miss their targets?

It's kind of funny that I root for the aliens on V but pull for the humans on this show.

6. Apr 5, 2011 #6 of 47
    mmilton80

mmilton80 Custom User Title

Jul 28, 2005
    Massachusetts
    I watched this episode with my wife (who only saw the pilot) and she remarked, "wow, I kinda wish I followed this show."

I told her that the last two ep's have picked up the action but had you been watching the whole time, you would have been annoyed.

So, is "The Event" going to be the final episode?

7. Apr 5, 2011 #7 of 47
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But he didn't have to be such a complete moron about it. He jumps to a conclusion that is completely separated from reality, then clings to it stubbornly long past the point where it's clear he's completely wrong; then suddenly jumps to a completely different but equally wrong conclusion, rinse, repeat.

His mood swings COULD have been written well. They weren't. Unless he's supposed to be portrayed as a weak, vacillating moron, in which case it's been written perfectly.

8. Apr 5, 2011 #8 of 47
    lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    "The Event" was originally going to be revealed early next season. They decided to wind up the plot lines this season, in case the show isn't renewed. Almost no chance of renewal. "The Event" reveal will almost certainly be the final episode.

Right but if the President wasn't such a moron, if at least some characters were likeable etc. the show might have been decent. Lost took years to give any real answers. This show was giving us answers and posing new questions. The show just wasn't done well.

9. Apr 5, 2011 #9 of 47
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I could have sworn at the beginning of the season they were saying The Event would be revealed in the Spring...

10. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    O...M...G...

I wasn't sure this show could get any worse, but I was wrong.

And yet, I just can't not watch - it is like a train wreck. Plus, I feel like I have invested so much time, I need to hold on just a little longer for the end.

The writing is simply abysmal. It's like the writers assume the audience is a bunch of morons. All the characters have completely jumped the shark. Some of the casting is just terrible, especially Ritter as Shawn - totally unbelievable.

Things that are bothering me the MOST (there are a lot more, but these are at the top of my list:

1. They spent most of the season trying to find the little sister. Now it is as if she no longer exists. They don't talk about her, worry about her, or try to get her to join them. I would bet money we won't see or hear about her ever again.
    2. The "escapes". Like when they fled the Secret Service after meeting the V.P. Really???? REALLY??? They just ran down the block and got away???
    3. The buses. That whole scenario was so contrived and impossible to believe. Enough said.
    4. Killing someone by setting fire to the house. COME. ON. As others here have mentioned, everyone is getting shot up, but they are going to kill this one woman by burning a house around her. Gee - I wonder if she will escape...:rolleyes:

I know they are trying to wrap things up quickly, but at least make it semi-believable. And for those of you comparing this show to 24 - 24 was a BILLION times better. It wasn't perfect, but it was a ride you could get on and they at least made the effort to keep it somewhat believable. And they had Jack, who was awesome!!! :)

11. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    I remember reading the Event would occur next season. Maybe your memory is better then mine. Maybe what the Even is was going to be revealed this season.

Based on the people we've come to know on the show wiping out the human race and starting anew with people from Sophies planet will be the only satisfactory conclusion. The VP is part of the conspiracy to kill the president yet the President blames the people who saved his life.

12. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I thing the Event will be a big CANCELED sign dropping on this show. :)

13. kettledrum

kettledrum Active Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Fishers, IN
    Still interested in seeing how Dempsey fits into everything and his past history with the aliens.

I guess I'm the only one who enjoys the show. The setting the house on fire was pretty lame, though...

Poor Simon. He can't play for either team now....

14. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    That's Writing Reason #736 why this show stinks. With a few more eps, we may make it to 1,000!

This is called the Flash Forward syndrome. One has -zero- real interest in the story anymore, you just wanna see how it ends. (And please... END it already)

Leila may be the single worst character in recent TV history. It's now impossible for me to watch any scene she is in without wishing disastrous, cataclysmic harm to her character. And Sean is only one step up the ladder from her. And the Pres is right there with 'em.

What does it say about a show when you wish every major character dead?

15. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I really tried to watch this episode. It SHOULD be GREAT by now, but I got distracted by Jesse Ventura on Piers Morgan during a commercial break. Oops!

I've seen each episode so far, so I guess I'll have to force myself to try to sit through it one more time.

And there is now another several week break before it wraps up, right? Ugh!

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    24 was many, many times better. But it was no more believable. Just about every scene had something that at the very least stretched reality.

17. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    [Dempsey] I'm on your side . . I'm a Sentinel . . Kill her! [/Dempsey]

[Tom Servo] But, what about . . Torture?! [/Tom Servo]

[Sophia] If you only knew the power of the Dark Side. [/Sophia]

[Comrade Alien] There's no reason to leave, Leila. Everything you need . . is here. [/Comrade Alien]

At this point, I just wanna know WTH the backwards E is all about.

That's all.

18. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    But, IMO, on 24 they got you on the ride and they made it fun and exciting. They kept it interesting. They had three dimensional characters that you cared about.

Yes, there were a few things you needed to just "accept", and some of it was a bit crazy - but the writing was a zillion times better, as was the acting, and it just worked. At least it did for me.

This one isn't working on any level for me. I just want it to end already!

19. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Really, the characters are written based on whatever the plot needs them to be, never mind how they acted a couple of episodes ago.

Seeing Sophia being this bloodthirsty shows me the writers really don't give a damn about consistent characterization.

They would have been better served by killing Sophia and leaving Thomas in charge but I guess that Laura Innes has a better contract than Clifton Collins Jr.

20. Vendikarr

Vendikarr New Member

Feb 24, 2004
    If the show was going to last, my bet is Laila frees Simon and sends him to help Shaun, who has replaced Dempsey as guardian against the aliens.