The Event "Us or Them" 5/2/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by robojerk, May 3, 2011.

1. May 3, 2011 #1 of 35
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    This show hurts my head.

• What happened to the virus on the ship? Did Sean and his new gf Vicky just leave the infection behind?
    • Why didn't Vicky kill the guy holding a gun to Sean's head?
    • Why didn't the guy holding a gun to Sean's head not kill Sean and Vicky when she threw the gun down?
    • Does Vicky have her own agenda or working for someone else? There's no way she has a thing for Sean.
    • Why Didn't Sophia just have the other guy kill Simon, why pull Michael in to do it?
    • Why did Leila stay behind with her practically dead dad? Seems like the place was a prison for her and now 2 of Sophia's people are dead (Michael and Leila's shadow). I would think she would punished for what happened.

Seems like a lot of things are going on just to move the plot along, logic and reason be damned.

2. May 3, 2011 #2 of 35
    jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Vicky has a "thing" for Sean

Sending Michael to kill Simon was a test of his loyalty.

It's weird how Sterling is a real good guy now.

3. May 4, 2011 #3 of 35
    robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    The scene when Sophia asks Michael to kill Simon
    "When Michael asks why she's chosen him, Sophia says that he's never let his family attachments get in the way of what needs to do. After a moment, Michael agrees to her request." from TV.com

Umm, wtf? Michael was about to crash a plane into the president of the united states to save his daughters. When Sophia originally asked Michael to help her, he said hell no until his daughters were safe, and if I remember correctly Sophia was annoyed by his defiance.

4. May 4, 2011 #4 of 35
    appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    But that was from the first half of the season. It appears to me that nothing from the first half of the season has any bearing on the storyline we're seeing now. It's as if the first half and the second half are two different shows. The first half was a sucky show, and the second half is a slightly less sucky show (actually the verdict is still out on that!) They must have done a hell of a major retooling during the Olympics.

5. May 4, 2011 #5 of 35
    loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    Looks like my prediction of President Martinez getting saved is coming true. Not exactly the way I thought it would, but close enough. Arggghhhhh! :mad:

6. May 4, 2011 #6 of 35
    Johnny Dancing

Johnny Dancing Closet Rebel

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    See answers below, they are all based on a thread logic so they all probably are incorrect:

They set the boat on fire before they left, we just did not see it.

She has a hidden agenda to let the virus get out. Since she is a super killer, she could have easily take the bad guy out if that is what she wanted to do.

Vicky is on on the bad guy's side plus they were in a hurry to get out out of there and didn't take the time to kill Sean.

Yes. If she had a thing for Sean he would forget about whatever he thinks he is doing and move to a small island with her.

She was testing Michael to see if he was loyal. He failed.

It's Leila, she is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. The writers are hearing the hate for Leila and will give us her head.

7. May 4, 2011 #7 of 35
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I think I can sum up this episode as:

Vicky, stupid.
    Sean, stupid.
    Leila, stupid.
    Jarvis, stupid.
    Sophia, stupid.
    Michael, stupid.
    Sterling, stupid.

8. May 4, 2011 #8 of 35
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    On a more positive note, Martinez didn't do anything stupid this week.

9. May 4, 2011 #9 of 35
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    If they did the retooling during the Olympics, why weren't they in place in time for the premiere last fall? ;)

I think Vicky definitely has a thing for Sean and didn't want to risk him getting killed if she took the shot at the guy.

I'm totally confused about who we're supposed to be rooting for in this show. At the beginning, it was written that Sterling was the sinister government type trying to keep the imprisonment of the innocent aliens a secret from the world. Martinez initially tried to do the right thing and let them out, but then had a change of heart and sided with Sterling. Sophia and her people seemed to be peaceful and longsuffering.

Suddenly, Sophia and her people are ruthless terrorists hell bent on genocide and Sterling and Martinez are supposedly the good guys.

I think the writers had a much more nuanced and intricate idea of how things were going to play out when the series started, but with the realization that they're not going to get the time to tell that story, they reverted all the characters to the standard good guy/bad guy cliches.

I'm still baffled as to why they continue to use Sean and Leila so much. Those two characters are completely worthless and just bog down the real story, which is the interaction between Sophia's people and the US government. At least when we see Sean, we usually get to see Hot Vicky too, but that's barely consolation.

10. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I think this show would be less annoying if they removed some characters.

Remove Sean and leave Vicky alone to to act as if she were Jack Bauer unfolding the mystery and kicking some alien tail. She's easier on the eyes, and has a back story that makes her more believable as someone willing to do what it takes to get the job done.
    Leila needs to go as well. Kill the romantic couple off, unite them in a way where they don't wish to play these games anymore, or have them detained. They're not real people so who cares anyway.
    Martinez, if he somehow survives from being poisoned and regains control of the white house he needs to delegate the alien hunting tasks to someone else. He's failed and been manipulated one time too many and I don't see him doing any better in the future.

11. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    This show is now 24 but with aliens.

Hot Vicky was once a bad ass super agent. Now she's just an ineffective sidekick.

I had to laugh at Sean's and Vicky's various conversations out loud on the plane but somehow nobody overheard them.

Sterling should have shot the VP.

12. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    Oh yeah you're right. :eek: What the hell was it they went on hiatus for? Was it March Madness? I can't remember the initial reason. (And it's more likely it was all bulls**t anyway. They just needed any excuse they could find to get time for a retool.)

13. Johnny Dancing

Johnny Dancing Closet Rebel

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    Could you imagine if your on a plane and someone that looked like Vicky gets on.

[​IMG]

Low profile ruined. Swiveling and craning necks would be hurt. The guys up front would be taking lots of bathroom breaks at the back of the plane. She is absolutely stunning.

If she does have a thing for Sean, Leila should be history. Leila gave Sean an out by going by being wishy washy and going with Alien daddy. No need to feel commitment to her, plus she is half alien herself, not someone I want to raise a family with (that would be my story anyway)

My thinking is the writers figured out Sean/Leila was not working and tweaked the story on the fly to get Vicky with Sean.

In this week's episode, while they took up half the story, Sean and Vicky accomplished absolutely nothing. I am OK with that though.

14. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I don't think there was ever any specific announcement or reason why the show took such a long hiatus. It was just the way NBC scheduled it. With 39 weeks during the TV season and only 22 new episodes, there have to be several weeks without new shows. NBC was faced with the choice of spacing them out every so often, with re-runs mixed in, or taking it off the air entirely for several months and then bringing it back to finish its run consecutively. Shows like Alias, 24 and LOST all proved that its better to air a serialized show in consecutive weeks rather than take breaks, so I can't fault NBC for the way they did it.

The real question is: if NBC really had high hopes for this serialized show, why did they premiere it in the fall? Shouldn't they have known that premiering a serialized show in the fall would require a long hiatus which might hurt the show?

15. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I've discovered your problem. Don't bring your head along when you watch. It solves a variety of problems, including:

*hurting head
    *exploding head
    *eyes popping out of head in dumbfoundment
    *wanting to kill yourself head
    *why am I watching this head

16. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Unfortunately, they've essentially turned Vicky into Sean's stalker.

Have Sean and Vicky accomplished anything at all other than going on globe trotting easter egg hunts?

Can you really carry an attache case full of coke onto a plane these days? Wouldn't it have to be x-rayed or something?

17. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    What's a baggie of coke going to look like on a x-ray machine? Probably not significantly different than many other legal things that someone might carry in a briefcase. X-rays don't detect drugs. Dogs and visual inspections do, and it appears that neither of those things happened.

18. classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    I think Sean is stupid lucky. First Leila and now Vicky.

Vicky is beyond beautiful and she's not a ditz like Leila.

19. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    There's no way CIA assassin and super hot beach body Vicky would fall for whiskery pouty face Sean in a weeks time, especially since their previous relationship was based on her hired to kidnap his girlfriend, frame him for murder, then try to kill him several times.

A + B != C
    != "does not equal"

20. Vendikarr

Vendikarr New Member

Feb 24, 2004
    And he survived all that. Maybe that kind of strength (or dumb luck) turns her on.