The Event - "Strain" - S1E18 - OAD 4/25/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by loubob57, Apr 26, 2011.

1. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    My fears are being realized. Sterling will get the coffee stain analyzed and they'll figure out how to save Martinez. Aughhhh! Why couldn't the aliens concoct a poison that killed him quickly? As I said before it is just to piss me off.

Also, they sure seemed to make the 1918 flu kill those people very quickly. I'm not an epidemiologist, but I'm pretty sure it still takes at least a few days if not a week or more. And according to Wikipedia the mortality rate was only 10-20%, but the overall infection rate was about a third of the world population. Doesn't seem like a good choice for a weapon to wipe out humanity.

2. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    You're really analyzing this? :)

This is an alien race who have the technology to travel to our planet, but the only way to destroy us is to dig up someone who died 90 years ago and harvest his lungs for a flu virus. Okay.

3. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Sophie didn't want Martinez to die immediately. Wanted the toxin to get out of his system so an autopsy wouldn't find any evidence. Not sure why a blood test wouldn't find it but there are so many things in the Event which are a lot less believable.

4. loubob57

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    I won't argue that. But Tom Clancy had no trouble coming up with the poison succinylcholine for taking out terrorists in Teeth of the Tiger. It worked quickly mimicking a heart attack and metabolized away in minutes even after the target was dead. Why couldn't Sophie have been a Tom Clancy fan? ;)

5. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    So it's official. They really ARE making us sick!

:D

6. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I thought it was odd that Sophia phoned the VP to impatiently ask him why he was not declared the President yet, and after he said that the Prez wasn't dead yet, then she told HIM to be patient, as the poison takes a couple of hours. So why was she so impatient when she called? And aren't there audio recorders in every office in the WH? I recall declassified audio recordings of Nixon thinking he was talking privately with someone about all sorts of stuff (25 years after the fact).

7. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I think the system was removed because of the Watergate tapes fiasco.

8. kettledrum

kettledrum Active Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Fishers, IN
    My biggest problem with the episode was that Sean and Hot Vicky didn't seem to go through any decontamination or quarantine process when they left the inner part of the boat. They showed them with their suits still on and the headgear off, pointing their guns at the Russian.

9. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, the perverse part of my mind thought they found an easy way to wrap the show up early...Sean leaves the door open, the virus escapes, humanity is wiped out, and the aliens live happily ever after, erecting a statue in honor of Sean. :D

10. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    It's probably stupid trying to look for logic and believability in this show.

My memory is succinylcholie was delivered by an injection. The VP had trouble switching the sweetener packet. He could not have jabbed the president with a pen.

Your OP hit the important plot flaw. The flu wouldn't have killed that fast and is unlikely to reduce the world's population by the desired numbers.

They have the technology to create wormholes but can't produce a biological weapon? Had to be easier then looking for a frozen soldier and hoping his lungs still contains live flu virus.

Probably wouldn't have noticed these plot defects if Vicky had taken a decontamination shower.

11. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    When they showed Sean and Vicky in the infected room, I started to wonder how they would get out. Then I wondered how they got in. Then I caught myself and I stopped all that nonsensical wondering. :)

12. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    (Spoiler about V)
    I thought that was the ending to V and the statue was of Tyler.

I think I've basically given up.
    I was watching this last night and I couldn't generate any interest in what was going on what so ever.

I'm just marking time until the end now.

13. loubob57

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    :up: :D

14. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Since this episode appeared to be borrowing everything else from 24 (president has stroke, deadly virus), why not just deliver the poison via a handshake.

15. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    This VP would never get close enough to shake the hand of this president.

Posters want to find plot holes. No real reason why the VP has to be allowed in any of those meetings. Have him spend all his time in the Senate waiting to break ties.

16. loubob57

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    That's another big break from reality. Given what he did earlier they would have banished him to some safe/obscure office. Kind of like how Roosevelt treated Truman.

17. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    As I was watching, I just kept wondering what the writers originally had in mind for this show. There's no way the original plan was to have the aliens try to take out the human race by reintroducing an old flu virus.

Basically, I'm just watching to see how it ends. I had high hopes for this show (and FlashForward) and instead it's given TV execs yet another reason not to greenlight serialized shows.

18. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    My guess is Hal Holbrook and the president would have lived at least through the season finale and possibly next season. Reducing the human race sounds like a second season plot.

Don't make excuses for the writers. They had more then enough time to come up with a better way to thin the human race. Maybe the writers are spending more time looking for work then coming up with creative plot lines.

19. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Remember the 2007–2008 writers strike? I blame that for killing shows like Journeyman (tear). In return it seems like the writing on a lot of shows has gone to crap.

20. avery

avery New Member

May 29, 2006
    New York
    Wow, Watergate-era nostalgia. Nixon's taping of his own conversations were recorded directly from White House landlines. As I recall, Sophia called the VP on his cell.