The Event - OAD 3/14/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jkeegan, Mar 15, 2011.

1. jkeegan

jkeegan Active Member

Oct 16, 2000
    Methuen,...

Advertisements

It doesn't look like there's a thread for this episode. I don't have much of a desire to start one, but I have a question to ask.

Is it just me, or is Sarah Roemer (the actress that plays Leila) the worst actress ever?? I hope she's not reading this because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but oh man, she has one facial expression and that's it, and everything is fear and panic. Horrible, horrible acting. Ugh.

That's all I have.

2. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    So, the prez has a bad dream and then tries to butch up by going all medieval on the Vs?

You know that an advanced alien race is out to get your fuel rods, and you send out a convoy with 2 pickup trucks and 4 FBI guys? I've never been
    a president, but I'm pretty sure that I'd order up a battalion of Marines and a couple helicopter gunships for this op.

Hey, who knew that Gabrielle Carteris was an alien? (I'd always suspected).

I see that subtlety is not Thomas' strong suit. Buying up a fleet of matching SUVs and an entire subdivision. (Hey, I wonder if I can get into that investment scheme?)

Poor Leila. Doesn't know which team to play for.

I hope that melt-face is good and dead. (Not just mostly dead). That guy is dangerous.

3. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    ROFL, +1 to all that!

Anyone who can dig a bluetooth headset out of his face AND IT'S STILL GOT POWER is one dangerous mofo. :)

Even when Sterling vouches for the alien that sacrificed herself, Martinez still can't understand this. He acts like he's never been in that situation where he's accidentally lied to anyone: we ALL have, it's part of life. You don't mean to, but things happen and you do! I think the problem is the script: that's how it's written so that's how it gets read, and it comes off looking stupid as hell.

I did enjoy watching Sean beat the snot out of the a-hole in the bar. Dear Mr A-hole: Next time you select someone to pick on, don't choose a guy who was forced to leave his fiance because she just found out she's an alien. :)

How the hell did Simon get out of that truck? They approached it from both sides... he couldn't possibly have escaped. I think I blew out another BS detector on that one.

OK, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the half-breed thing. They age at the normal human rate, I guess? They don't have the problem with blood (remember Simon's fake vein when being tested for the government job). Maybe one of the abilities/handicaps is lack of facial expression? :) Given that Leila didn't know she is an alien, that means ANYONE can be a half-breed and not know it. The original aliens seemed to have kept in touch (at least the ones not at Inostranka), so you'd think they know how many are out there. Maybe Sean is one too and not even Sofia/Thomas/Simon/etc know it.

4. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    Yeah, it's super not credible that nobody even considered the idea that the fuel rod trucks would be ambushed.

At least Leila didn't spend the entire episode mooning over Sean. I would have pressed Daddy for a lot more answers, though! He enticed her to dump Sean in exchange for answers, then totally refused to tell her anything, and she was just like, OK, whatever.

I think the aliens who had kids may not necessarily have shared that with the others -- seems like there's some prejudice against those who "went native" and Sophia made that disparaging comment about "kids you weren't even supposed to have." Which, incidentally, is not the most attractive side of Sophia. I mean obviously you are going to choose her over Thomas in terms of not being completely evil, but she really doesn't seem terribly sensitive to the situation of the people who were not imprisoned and coped by trying to blend in and now have attachements on Earth. I mean, what else were they supposed to do? Sit around watching TV for 60 years just waiting for Sophia to come back?

I've been wondering about the mixed-species kids too -- do they have some special skills or something? Maybe that is what the little-girl experiments were trying to find out. And speaking of the little-girl experiments, I have a lot of questions about that, which I hope someday will be answered. Why were the experiments being done and what, if anything, did they learn? Why only girls?

Reading this over, I'm a little disturbed by the amount of thought I've apparently put into this show! It's really not that good but yet I am still watching.

5. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

I was just face palming myself when Sophia took Simon's call on speaker phone so deformed guy could overhear the plan.

Really?
    You ever hear about closing THE DOOR?????!!!!

6. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    The whole conversation between Sean and his sister was ridiculous. And the bar scene where Sean gets beat up by the big jerk and then has a moment before he strikes back and pulverizes the other guy -- I thought he was gonna say "Don't make me angry ... you won't like me when I'm angry!" just before turning into The Hulk. WTH??!
    At least the show isn't as bad to watch as some others {cough_Persons Unknown_cough}.

7. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    It's like the writers didn't have anything for Sean to do in this episode so they had him get in a random bar fight.

Burn face dude unlocked a set of handcuffs with random electrical wire. He's got skillz.

Thomas went from whiney mama's boy to Rambo over the break.

Why didn't Sean just ring his sister's door bell first instead of breaking in?

The oddest thing about the aliens is that they come from galaxy m827 or something but English is their native language.

I hate dishonest promos. I thought there was going to be a "real" scene where Sophia has the prez handcuffed to a chair but it was only a dream.

8. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    This. I never liked the Leila/Sean scenes; they have -zero- chemistry. Now that they've had some scenes apart, I know the reason. She is terrible. No screen presence at all. None.

I did realize last night that's it's not a terrible show, if you completely eliminate Sean & Leila. I hope their characters serve some real purpose eventually; otherwise, the writers made a fatal mistake. As I believe that's part of why it dropped so quickly in viewership.
    This +2. As martinp13 said, I blew a BS meter right then.

This +3. That drives me nuts when a character says "I'll tell you everything", then proceeds to tell you almost nothing. And Leila, born with the special hybrid human/alien gift of no facial expressions, lets it pass.:mad:

This +4

This +infinity. I have no idea why I am still watching.:rolleyes:

9. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    So Sophia was critical for Thomas's plan to work. But didn't he try to kill her before the break? What was his plan back then? Or did the writers forget about that?

10. martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Why do Sophia (Maguire), Simon (Lee), and Michael (Buchanan) have last names, but Thomas does not? I still am thinking that the portal is to bring the "aliens" back to Earth, which they left long ago. Or to escape their alternate Earth, which became uninhabitable.

I'll be interested in hearing the message they get back. "Please deposit another 5 billion quatloos to receive this text message." :)

11. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Oh yeah! I forgot about that choking scene! Why didn't he just use the scarf she was already wearing?

12. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    The Vs -- oops -- wrong alien show -- I meant to say the "Others" -- nope, wrong show again -- I mean the "aliens" talk about "going home", but the previews say that they were here first. If that is so, then they are actually the "natives". :confused:

13. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    If it takes just 12 hours to shut down a nuclear reactor and remove the fuel rods and truck them somewhere safe, why don't they do that in Japan? :confused: Oh, because you can't do that in the real world.

And I totally agree with the size of the protection force for the convoy. And when the car exploded in front of the semi, my first thought was "Don't stop, drive right through/over it."

14. kettledrum

kettledrum Active Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Fishers, IN
    Didn't he need Sophia in order to get something (the module?) in the goop?

I was really hoping that The Prez was double crossing Sophia and was faking moving the rods in that truck.

15. dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    DFW
    Ever since the 1st episode, I've been wondering if the big age gap between Leila and her sister has some significance.

16. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I will give them credit for not having Sophia go all Buffy the Vampire Slayer in that scene.

17. HIHZia

HIHZia Mad Turk

Nov 3, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Does anyone else feel like they've been dropping little hints that Sophia and Michael were once "married"?

18. martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I thought that too, but quickly dismissed it because it makes too much sense.

19. martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Wow, you may be right. She sure sounded like an ex-wife when she snapped at him about the children he had with his Earth-wife. And they're spending a lot of time together, even though she was reluctant to even bring him on board at first.

20. TiVolunteer

TiVolunteer lotta lurk rare post

Jul 10, 2001
    Cary, NC
    I thought so too when they did a closeup of Sophia's hands and she was rubbing her ring finger -- like an old habit of fiddling with a wedding ring.