The Event "I Know Who You Are" (11/8/10) [SPOILERS!]

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by RGM1138, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Nov 9, 2010 #1 of 47
    RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS

Advertisements

So. Deep Throat is the head of the bad guys (B Gs), Sterling unknowingly chats with a V in an elevator and Sophia is . . Thomas' baby mama?

This is one wacky show.

It was just too slick how Simon was totally cleared (again). And, how much access Sean and Leila have to the resistance.

And what is up with the "kids?"

I have a feeling that this whole thing will turn out to be a "Gary Seven" scenario.

2. Nov 9, 2010 #2 of 47
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, I've always suspected they're time travelers, and the way they make their money (buy low, sell high) seems to confirm that (despite the probably misleading evasiveness of that last conversation about how far they have to go).
    I'm not sure how unknowingly it was. He was clearly a bit suspicious at first, and SEEMED to be allayed by their conversation. But the V has a very distinctive voice and they've talked on the phone before, so I have to wonder if Sterling suspects/knows who he was...

3. Nov 9, 2010 #3 of 47
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I don't think you understand how that saying is used. The way you worded it means Thomas has a baby and Sophia is it's momma, which is gross since Sophia is also Thomas's momma.

4. Nov 9, 2010 #4 of 47
    RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    If he did suspect, he didn't show it. And he never mentioned anything to the Prez at their beer summit. Of course, he's been burned before.

Anyway, what's your take on "the girls?" That whole deal seems to be floated in from an X-Files ep.

5. Nov 9, 2010 #5 of 47
    RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS

Advertisements

Yes, I know. I was just trying to be clever.

6. Nov 9, 2010 #6 of 47
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Plus, in the previous episode, they saw Thomas entering the building on the security camera. It was from a side/back angle, and they kept showing him from that same angle in the elevator, making you think Sterling was going to catch on, but he never did.

I'm a little confused about what we're supposed to take from the Blake Sterling flashback. He clearly wasn't a good judge of character 14 years ago, and when it was brought to his attention, he was willing to run away with her rather than turn her in. Then today, he's clearly not a good judge of character again, when he trusts Simon and believes the evidence against Murphy. Yet in his conversation with Simon, he says "It's been a long time since I was wrong about someone like that." We know he's currently wrong about Simon. So are we supposed to thing Sterling is an idiot? Are we supposed to feel for him a little bit?

A little strange that there seemed to be almost no repercussions after a major building in D.C. just implodes, killing several federal agents. In real life, that would cause the city to be on lockdown and POTUS, Sterling and every other national security person would be on high alert in some kind of situation room. Instead, Sterling has time to just sit in Simon's hospital room and wait for him to wake up.

7. Nov 9, 2010 #7 of 47
    busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    The "buy low, sell high" comment was preceeded by a comment about how their advanced alien mathematics allows them to reliably predict the economic cycles in a way that humans can't. So their wildly successful investment strategies are not because of time travel.

The second that Hal Holbrook's name popped up in the credits, I immediately called that he was the leader of the shadow organization. :D

So far, in every single episode of this show that I've watched, the hour has seemed to fly by really quickly. It almost feels like a half-hour show. Is this just me? Is it because the story is so engaging and fast-moving? Or do they use more commercial time than other shows?

8. Nov 9, 2010 #8 of 47
    busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    The guy that they ended up diverting the suspicion onto... doesn't he have a solid alibi?

They framed him by putting his fingerprint on the vial that contained the tracking syrup that Simon dumped into the creamer at the Starbucks.

But when that whole Starbuck Gambit went down, the framed guy was in the Situation Room where they were tracking Sophia from. It wasn't until they got dozens of tracking blips that the guy came up with the idea to go test people in the field.

So it couldn't have been him.

9. Nov 9, 2010 #9 of 47
    RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    You know, if you keep picking at threads, this whole premise will unravel.

:)

10. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Which goes back to the whole "what are we supposed to think of Blake Sterling as a judge of character" thing. Either they're trying to show us that he's really not very good at his job, or they're just being lazy. Hopefully it's the former.

11. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    Yeah, I think we're supposed to feel bad for him. He tries to be all crusty and hard-nosed, but the truth is he's a softie and trusts people too much and lets his emotions get involved. Now we see that happening again, like it did with his Russian spy wife(helllloooo, Alias!), and the way he reacts to it now will be informed by his past.

Of course, they are kind of over-using the "I was in love before and got hurt so that's how you know I'm a good person no matter what I do now" gambit -- didn't we see basically that exact same thing with Simon? There has to be some other way to humanize these characters besides decades-old love affairs.

And what is up with the creepy little girls?

12. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    This show is dragging on to long for me unfortunately. Quite a bit of this could have been eliminated and made it a 6-8 episode min-series. Totally forgot about the kids being in the spoiler from two weeks ago, and they're still not explained being the last minute or so of the show.

Wacky, wild stuff.

13. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I don't see how any amount of math could predict economic cycles. There are too many unknown variables--who gets elected president, a terrorist bomb explodes or it doesn't. A knowledge of history from the future could do it, but why lie about it amongst themselves?

14. dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    DFW
    If they are indeed the human future, and are trying to open a wormhole back home, maybe the EVENT is: Mass immigration from their "homeworld" where the environment is wrecked, based on Simon's previous statement about not having oceans.

15. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    You just haven't learned the kind of math that the "Vs" have. :)

16. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    They said they had a guy in the midwest investing for them. Is Warren Buffet part of all this? :D

I still lean towards them NOT just being regular, human time travelers. Mostly, based on the idea of doing blood testing and how the "Vs" will avoid it. Sterling even tells Simon "You're human!"

17. Malcontent

Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Sep 4, 2004
    Couldn't it be argued that Murphy acquired the radioactive tracking syrup and passed it along to the "V". Who then dosed the coffee creamer. Still making Murphy a viable suspect.

18. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    The only thing I'm pretty sure about is that they aren't "aliens". For a show that is all about plot subterfuge, secrecy, and "dramatic chipmunk" moments, to have a minor character "spill the beans" that easily is nonsense. I'm still betting on 'evolved humans'.

I have no idea what the creepy girls are either... but it was so "dramatic chipmunk" that I actually laughed at the reveal. :) Biological testing? Genetic mutation (natural or induced)? Half-breeds? The more I think about it, half-breeds fits the best: the EBEs don't age, humans do, and the mixed bag is exactly the state the girls are in.

19. Malcontent

Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Sep 4, 2004
    My thinking is why would aliens continue to call each other by "human" names while in private?

I notice that the Hal Holbrook character looks like he's in poor health. He was hooked up to an I.V. kind of thing. Could be chemo therapy. Perhaps he's trying to crack the "V" longevity secret in hopes of curing his failing health. Perhaps he girls are the failed experiments.:confused:

20. jdfs

jdfs Unspecial Member

Oct 21, 2002
    I think everything still points to them being aliens. The portal thing seems to be to travel distance, not time, as was mentioned how they have much further to go. But it could all be just a huge misdirection for dramatic reveal later. Of course the EBEs do age, just much slower, otherwise they would all be newborns. You maybe right about the half-breeds, maybe failed experiments .