The event from "The Event" is it's canceled!

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Barmat, May 13, 2011.

1. Barmat

Barmat Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Livermore CA
    Will we ever find out what the real event is?

2. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    is it effective immediately?

3. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    At this point does anyone care?

4. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    Apparently not.

5. Barmat

Barmat Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Livermore CA
    Series final May 23rd.

6. stahta01

stahta01 Simple Member

Dec 23, 2001
    Fort Wayne,...
    So, "The Event" is now a non-event.

Tim S.

7. mmilton80

mmilton80 Custom User Title

Jul 28, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Wasn't it always a non-Event? ;)

8. Todd

Todd Gee thanks Jeremy...

Oct 7, 1999
    Coastal...
    Just as it was finally starting to hit its stride. :(

9. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    I really think this show would have gotten a second season if it had not taken a MAJOR break in the middle of it. I lost interest when it was off for so long, and I don't think I was the only one...

10. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I don't think that's true. The reason it got a MAJOR break is because the ratings had already fallen and the break was a last ditch effort to retool the show in an attempt to boost the ratings. They knew that it was a long shot, and that it would likely do more harm than good, but at that point, they had nothing to lose, because the ratings had already fallen to the point where it wasn't going to make it.

I just hope the writers saw the writing on the wall way back then and crafted the second half of the season such that it wraps up satisfactorily. With only a couple episodes left, I'm not sure exactly how that's going to happen.

11. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Canceled, or not renewed? ;)

12. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    What exactly was done to "retool" it, anyway? Did they mean to simplify it by killing off Thomas and Dempsey?

13. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm guessing they weren't planning to reveal much about Dempsey this season and intended Thomas to play a bigger role. But when they realized they were likely going to have to reveal "the event" this season and wrap up the show, they decided to simplify by getting rid of Dempsey and give Sophia a motivation to become the bad guy by having Martinez kill Thomas. I'm still convinced that the original plan was for Sophia to be good, or at least for her to have a more nuanced position rather than an outright villain, but after the retooling and simplification, they just didn't have time to develop her that way.

14. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    I think it meant to not have anymore of those constant flashbacks.

15. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    They made Hot Vicky less awesome.

16. dilbert27

dilbert27 New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Did not even relize there was a long break for the event for i just watched the entire season of the event and V 2 weeks ago during the easter weekend and had really enjoyed both series to date.

For the past 2 years i usually record an entire season of a series before ever watching the first episode of a season that has been part of the enjoyment of having a tivo with a large hard drive is that i can save and entire season of a show before watching any of them which i do in a marathon format.

Their have been few exceptions to this Chuck and Big Bang Theory are a couple of these.

The ratings system that has been in use for years no longer really works in my opinion for just about all my family, friends and coworkers usually never watch a show until the seasons are over so that we dont have to wait till the next week to see what happens that and so we can watch in have the time without commercials.

We have even gotten to where we record all sports we watch on about a 3 hour tape delay so that we can watch them without commercials also.

17. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I always thought 24 was badly written, popcorn action type show. As long as Jack Bauer was kicking butt it was enjoyable.

Take those writers, try to add in sci-fi, flash backs, more characters. Recipe for disaster IMO.

These people had zero business doing sci-fi.

18. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Yet that was pretty much the recipe for "LOST", and it was a winner. :confused:

Go figure ...

19. mmilton80

mmilton80 Custom User Title

Jul 28, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Obviously, it was but there a rumor made it to the HuffPost that Netflix may save it...

The Rumor

20. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    The Lost writers were also writing 24??