The Event - "Cut Off The Head" - S1E17 - OAD 4/18/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by martinp13, Apr 19, 2011.

1. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    OMG :) How did this not have a "parental guidance advised warning? A self-inflicted knife-slice to the hand and a gunshot-to-the-head suicide??? WOW

Re: President's wife

I don't think she is one of the aliens. If she was, Sophia would be using her as she used Simon. I suppose it's possible that Sophia doesn't know about her, just like Leila. We definitely know she's something. I loved the way that scene played out, but her I'm-still-hiding-something look as they were hugging at the end showed she wasn't telling the whole truth. Maybe she's a sentinel, but I doubt it.

Re: The Weapon

Anyone understand what the body on top of it meant?

Re: Sweet N Low

NOTE: I watched the preview of the next episode, so I won't comment on that.

When I saw what the plan was (VP to poison the Pres), I thought "They can't kill the Pres... he's too important of a character in this show... some red-shirt will end up drinking it I'm sure." And of course the cup is just seen sitting there, where anyone can get it... but the Pres' cup has the seal on it I guess, so it's HIS cup.

Re: Remote control nosebleeds

Have they forgotten about that? They could have used that on the helicopter pilot shooting the buses, the troops storming the church, etc, etc. More stupidity.

Re: Leila

What a waste of a 911 call. Relay your information and don't worry about the "where are you?" questions. Typical for that character. I did think her acting was better. :) At least when she called Sean she gave him the woman's name.

Re: The Event itself

Now I'm thinking that The Event is the partial destruction of the human race.

2. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Random thoughts:

* Leila is the worst character in history. Every time she's on screen, the story takes a nose-dive. See next point.

* The show has greatly improved the last few episodes. Nowhere near A quality, but it's moved up from C- to maybe a B-. The removal of Leila from most scenes has helped. The end of the Sean/Leila relationship has definitely helped--it never moved off cringe-worthy on the TV-romance scale. And there is finally some cohesiveness to the story. See next point.

* I think the writers doomed this show by having too many potential entry points into the main plot (I'm not saying it well, hopefully my point comes thru). The first few episodes we had way too many people all doing things that seemed at odds with everyone else. There wasn't any one or two POV. It got to the point that us viewers had no idea who was good, bad or ugly. Hence it became difficult for us to get invested and care about almost every character. It's one thing to create mystery; it's another to just have viewers so totally lost that we begin to give up.

And so many story lines just disappeared, or took paths that left us confused. For example, the entire reason Sean started his manhunt/journey was to find Leila & her little sister. That led to a variety of McGuffins which led to Dempsey. So why didn't Sean ask him what he was doing with Leila's sister? He just wanted to kill him without answers? Or the VP. He was (I think) working at Dempsey's direction. Did we ever find out why? And why was it just dropped? And now he's back?

It's these sudden shifts in character's motivations (and loyalties) and the scattershot nature of the story lines that creates unease in viewers, thus leading to lower ratings, resulting in its ultimate non-renewal (and it IS coming).

Crappy writing. It'll get ya' every time. :rolleyes:

3. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I don't see the improvement you seem to.
    Especially with (as you point out) the characters and their motivations being all over the place.

And Dempsey just blows his brains out just like that?
    What's up with that?

4. martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I agree that the recent episodes have been better, but I think that's because they're driving fast to the conclusion.

I think Dempsey needed to convince Sean to save the world, and that wouldn't happen if Sean eventually killed Dempsey. The suicide made Sean start to believe Dempsey... the discussion with Vicki when he was looking thru the bag said that. Evidently Sean is the new sentinel. :)

5. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The problem is that the writing and characterization on this show have been so botched already that I'm not sure I care about that conclusion.

All I would be convinced of is that the guy was a total whack job.

6. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    "I'm sorry, the GPS on your phone is off." :eek:

7. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I think Dempsy committeed suicide because he "knew" Sean is the one to stop the aliens. This took Dempsy off the board as far as Sean was concerned.
    I think there has to be more to the President's wife than illegal alien parents. If she was legal in the US, it doesn't matter who her parents were. (I so want to make a joke about Birthers but I won't) I would have thought she would have worked with the State departement to get them green cards. A good immigration attorney the minute she gets the coin to pay for it would have been what would have happened in real life.

8. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Is Dempsey really dead? If he's something other than human, making it looked like he killed himself could have been a red herring to get Sean to start unraveling Sophia's plans.

I couldn't care if the prez on the show dies, he's been a failure in all of his actions to do anything to Sophia.

The VP is a traitor, you'd think the White House would be keeping tabs on him all the time. I find it funny he's able to receive anonymous phone calls and go to secret meetings without alerting anyone.

I'm beginning to wonder why I'm keeping the SP. The writing is bad. Still not as horrible as Flash Forward though.

9. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Nothing will ever be as bad as FF. It's set the bar for badness.

And you're sticking with it to see how it ends. Aren't we all?

10. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    The book's not bad. I watched the series on Netflix and was glad I had read the book first.

11. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    At least they sort of redeemed the glaring death-trap cliche from last week: it was deliberately set up so that Sean could prove himself by saving the girl.

12. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Never read the book, but I heard (think I read an Amazon review) it spends too much time explaining things, but it's still better than the TV series.

13. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I thought the book was really good, but I read it after watching the show. Great by comparison.

I wonder if Sophia realizes that the US isn't a dictatorship. The president can't sell us down the river totally without input from congress. But then maybe congress is full of aliens.

If the President's wife is one of them, they must not have much faith in her ability to control him, since they're killing him off. I don't remember her really trying to influence him very much anyway.

Why is it so hard to take a promising scify premise and come up with a good series? :(

14. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Actually, I think an "anchor baby" joke would probably be more apropos there. :)

15. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    IRL if someone followed up on this they could use the cell tower info to get a general idea of where she made the call from and since she reported that she was kidnapped by the people that destroyed the monument someone should report it to a higher authority. The feds could use that info to do a grid search and locate the little E.T. subdivision. Before we had a GPS enabled phone my wife's car broke down somewhere along I-75 in GA. She hadn't been paying attention to her mile markers and signage so couldn't tell AAA where she was. They told her to call 911 to get her locale. Sure enough they knew without any GPS info that she was past mile marker x and almost to mile marker y.

16. classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    Unless these are tiny satellite phones.

17. robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Stopping using logic to point out flaws in the show.

18. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    He could have used a paintball gun. Next time we see him he'll have a huge bruise on his temple. ;)

I think because it takes only one "science fyction" ;) writer to write a good book, but when it becomes a screenplay for television, you've got interference from multiple viewpoints of several writers and the network execs and censors all having the power of veto over decent writing.

I think that is why pretty much all books are far better than their television or movie versions. That, along with the fact that a book can go into more detail, and explain the character's thought process.

Or am I just becoming cynical?

19. martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Then what the hell would we talk about? ;)

20. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    With the show rapidly coming to an end, it's time to play "guess what the Event is."

In the few weeks remaining Sophia will succeed in her plans to bring billions of her people to earth and eradicate all humans. The Event: we are actually all aliens!!