The Event "Arrival" (5/13/11) [SPOILERS!]

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by RGM1138, May 24, 2011.

1. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Son of a. . What a place to be left hangin'. BIH NBC. Well, at least we know what the 'event' is. Sorta. Ascension. Or, chrysalis, maybe. Still don't know why the E is backwards.

I was wondering if all 2.5 B aliens would be walking single file through the gate. But no, they brought the whole frickin' planet.

So, the First Lady is a V after all. I guess Jarvis will be on a roadside crew for life. Or, mysteriously erased. Sean just dismissed Vicky, without so much as a "Thanks for saving my ass."

I hope that one day the producers will publish the contents of the Dead Sea scrolls online, That could be interesting, at least.

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Huh.

First off, wasn't this supposed to be two hours? Or am I misremembering? I hope there's not a really-last episode still to come, that you can only see on DVD or online or something. But that would be just like NBC.

So, they brought the whole planet... that's a hell of a lot of extra mass to move (and I thought they were having a hard enough time with much smaller amounts), but I guess it's more convenient than herding everyone into one spot. But wait -- if they brought their planet here, why do they still have to "make room" on Earth? It's not being irradiated by the dying star anymore, so it should still be habitable.

Simon = gratuitously cryptic to Sean. Boo.

Yeah, First Lady is an alien, but she seems to be genuinely loyal to Martinez, and not taking orders from Sophia. Call her a defector.

"The Event" seems to be a prophecy. I would've thought these people were too sophisticated for that.

Oh, Sophia: "Did my son deserve to die?" Well, yeah, he kinda did.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Except it looked like it was falling apart. Cracking open, with magma showing.

Which raises the question of how the Others will survive long enough to make it to Earth, but that's probably putting more thought into it than the writers did ("Ooh, it would be cool if we ended with their WHOLE PLANET appearing in the Earth's sky, all falling apart and burning up and stuff!").

4. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Simon to Sean was: The series ends here, so why should I waste time explaining all this crap? Hehe... the rebirth is probably when they become fully human. :)

I think the First Lady is a hybrid that knows her roots. Sophia knew all of the full aliens.

5. BrandonRe

BrandonRe Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Huh. Disappointed that we are left at this point with no resolution to anything. I wonder if the Netflix rumors are true and that's why the writers didn't try to wrap anything up? I sort of hope so. Could make for a decent show with the premise that "The Event" is foretold and some are working to avert it while others are working to make it happen. I actually think as a season finale the show was decent. As a series finale, not so much.

6. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Not to mention there needs to be a way to get rid of the planet after moving or both planets would end up tearing themselves apart do to the tidal forces. Though I guess they could send the planet away if the array in Tibet survived all the earthquakes.

Rumor was that another network (or Netflix) might try to save the show. I don't see that happening. Goodbye 24 Jr.

7. postrin

postrin New Member

Nov 13, 2001
    houston,tx,usa
    The title should be changed to 5/23, does leila survive? she's pregnant.... since the baby is even less V, how will it survive the virus???

P

8. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Give her some Tamiflu; they'll be fine. :p

9. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Looked like Apokolips to me.

So if I understand the last episode correctly, the Event is their planet colliding into ours and everyone is killed?

I'm ok with that.

10. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    :up:

11. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Me too. It would save us from having to discuss this POS series.

Lessee... the Simon/Sean conversation was crap. Being interrupted at a critical point in the conversation--cheap writing tactic, especially for a series finale. The "prophecy" was even worse crap. The aliens are worried & left our planet because it was "foretold" they would all die (or something like that; my brain was shut down by this point). And as was mentioned, Sean/Vicki just... faded away? Huh? Oh yeah, he gave her a half-hearted hug. And I think a $25 Target GC for saving his ass. Again and again.

Some things remained consistent: Even a final, maybe dying, scene with Leila was terrible. Every time she had air time--the show just plain sucked.

I did like the last statement, by the First Lady, "Our home". Cute finish. And amazing she could recognize it, even as it went all Krypton on us.

I'm no geophysicistist; heck, I can't even spell it, but I think if a planet that size just showed up between the Earth & the Moon, all hell would break loose, and it really would be the end of life as we know it.

Ya' know, at some point I should learn a lesson. Every time a show in this genre starts to stink, I tend to finish it out "just to see how it ends". Closure. But I am ALWAYS left disappointed. So why do I continue to do it? I think from now on, when a show stinks, it stinks. Delete the SP and move on. Maybe read these threads for gratuitous thrills, but free up an hour of my life, once a week. As examples--Flash Forward, The Event, and that show on NBC a summer or so ago, with the mystery killings, set in a fake village.

12. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    This thread just saved me 9 hours. I had watched the first 3 or 4 episodes and had the rest saved waiting to see if it got canceled or at least had an ending.

13. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Wow, what a horrible finale. This episode is the poster child for the writers/producers being unable to course correct when it's clear something is not working. They should have realized that the Sean/Leila thing was a huge anchor for the show and minimized it as much as possible. Instead, we get to the final 8 minutes of the final episode, when the show should be focusing on the fact that 2.5 BILLION aliens are on their way to earth, and instead we get a five minute scene with Sean talking to Leila. :confused: WTF?!? Why do the writers think we care to see that? Why are they interested in writing about that? Didn't they also watch the show and realize that every time that relationship took center stage, the show went into a nose dive? I assumed they figured that out when they separated Sean and Leila for most of the second half of the season, yet in the final two episodes, they devoted several minutes at critical times to Sean and Leila pining for each other. Lame!

And just exactly what was Sophia's plan for getting the 2.5 BILLION aliens off the other planet and onto Earth? If they could be individually transported via the portal array, why did she bring the whole planet? If they can't be individually transported via the portal array, is she planning to build a fleet of shuttles to fly up there and bus them all back to Earth? And once they're all safe on Earth, what did she plan to do with this massive planet now just outside our atmosphere?

And speaking of the portal array, earlier in the season, the guy who runs the portal array was claiming that he couldn't transport all the people out of the church in LA because he didn't have time to load enough uranium. So he did the best he could, which was topple the Washington Monument. Then, a couple hours later, he transported an entire bus full of people, but couldn't transport all three buses before two of them were destroyed. Now, we're supposed to believe that the portal array is powerful enough to move an entire planet from a distant galaxy to our atmosphere within a few days?

14. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Maybe the Leila/Seasn child was supposed to be a "star child"

15. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Well, to be fair, the planet wasn't actually in our atmosphere. That's an optical illusion.

And if they did transport billions of Vs through the portal, bodies would be stacking up on each other for miles.

:)

16. bkc56

bkc56 Designated Grunt

Apr 29, 2001
    Santa Rosa,...
    Looks like it saved me even more as I have the entire series on Tivo waiting to see if it was worth watching or would get canceled. The more posts I saw over the year, the more it supported my decision to wait-and-see.

Beginning to sound like taking the time to delete all the episodes is even wasting more time than the series is worth... :p

17. obixman

obixman Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Houston
    I don't know of course, but somehow I thought that the first lady might be associated with the Hal Holbrook faction of protectors.

Just my impression. but the "Home" statement could work that way and it would explain why she's not in the Sopia ring.

Also given the closeness of the new planet the solar system and especially Earth id going to be in for rough times. Earthquakes, Tidal changes, Tidal remorphing of the planet just to name a few. I don;t think Earth would be very habitable (not that that would bother the writers of this dreck.)

18. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    I hate having to speak for this dreck, but Sophia did kinda cover this in her off hand comment that what they (the ones on Earth had done) was, I believe the words she used were:

"Cracked the door open."

Left unsaid was probably that the rest of the energy came from their world. They connected to the portal and transmitted themselves through it, they weren't pulled.

Well, that's what should have been brought up in future episodes anyway.

19. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    BTW, I mostly enjoyed the show. And I don't understand all the Leila hate.

20. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I wasn't expecting a whole planet to pop up. I was expecting a mass of people to pop up in Tibet. Stream in on a beam or something like that.

Always suspected that FLOTUS was a V. Never bought into the lie/cover she made.

Sean should have hooked up with Hot Vicky. Way hotter than Leila.

And so annoying that the arrival of the planet wasn't the actual Event. The Event was something that was supposed to have happened on Earth anyway, without some damn portal.