The Event - "A Message Back" - S1E14 - OAD 3/21/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by martinp13, Mar 22, 2011.

1. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX

Advertisements

I liked it... sure, plenty of even more unbelievable junk, but the story moved a lot. I'm thinking the portal is definitely related to The Event.

One thing I just don't see in this show is consistency. Martinez is frantic to not be a wuss Prez. He said he wants all of them, and he's not afraid to kill em. He has all the aliens caught unaware in one building. BLOW THE DAMN THING UP! End the series right now so you don't have to be eventually cancelled! * facepalm *

2. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Kind of amazing that an EM signal sent to a system thousands of light years away got a response in a few days.

After that bit of science I turned my brain off and actually enjoyed the episode. :)

3. martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I gave up on science and was praying for at least continuity.

:: BUZZ ::

4. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Ah yes... the old 'plummeting ratings + cliff hanger = renewal' formula. Works every time.

Also, if your sun is going nova, the radiation doesn't 'reach' your solar system, it emanates from its center (unless it's a multiple star system).

But damnit, I'm still tuning in to the bitter end. Hopefully that's 3 more seasons from now, but I'm skeptical.

5. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...

Advertisements

Aw come on, they used a smaller, lower bandwidth version of the "portal" to speed the message along. Right? :)

6. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, maybe in order to delay the effects of the impending supernova, the solar system fled, er, its sun, um...

I got nuthin'.

7. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    I've read the basic plot lines will be resolved this season. It became clear the show has close to zero shot of renewal. They had the break to rewrite the episodes. Sean and Vicki can catch (kill) Hal Holbrook any episode now. Thomas has everything he needs for the transporter.

Everything is in place for a conclusion.

8. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Well, they better make it quick. There's only 2 more scheduled eps left.

9. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    The show was scheduled to air through part of May. The show was given a full season pickup. Have you heard the show is being canceled early?

10. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    No, but according to IMDb, there are only two eps left. I know that's not conclusive, but that's what they're showing.

11. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    NBC announced they will air the season (series?) finale of The Event on May 23.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...-2011-30-rock-100th-episode-on-april-21/85013

Given the continuing low ratings NBC could change its mind. AFAIK 22 episodes are being shot. Given NBCs cable outlets, and online viewing, I suspect one way or another we'll be able to see the remaining episodes.

12. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Good to know. I just hope that all the questions are answered before the plug is finally pulled.

13. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Do the writers know the answers?

14. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    Doubtful, but I'm sure they can pull something out their, er, thin air. :)

15. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I would hope that they already had a general framework laid out, while touching on the bullet points. The question is, will the series run out of time, (and ratings), before the producers can put together a wrap up.

16. kettledrum

kettledrum Active Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Fishers, IN
    Vicky is such a badass! I'm happy she is still on the show and not 100% evil all of the time.

I also thought initially the writers were going to try to fool us again and show the feds converging on the wrong house. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me - you can't get fooled again!

17. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2010/11/14/the-event-scoop-drama-to-relaunch-in-january/

Several other articles essentially say the same thing. The scripts since the show came back have been reworked to wrap up the storyline this year.

Sean hooked up with Vicki. They know Hal Holbrook is responsible and have an idea where to find him. Sophie and Thomas are more or less combining their followers.

We're starting to get more answers then questions.

I fear a number of cliffhangers if Fringe isn't picked up.

18. oscarfish

oscarfish Active Member

Mar 1, 2009
    It's been several episodes now with no flashbacks, so I'm starting to think they're either never going to explain this or I missed it. Did they ever explain why Sean was chasing the airplane that Michael was piloting? Sean was obviously trying to stop Michael from doing something, but when did Sean ever find out Michael was being forced to do it? I don't recall any flashbacks of Sean or Michael between the time when Sean fled the cruise ship and when Sean was chasing the airplane.

19. martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Nope, they've never shown us how Sean got off the cruise ship or why he was being chased in the airport, or how he knew what was going on with Michael and the plane.

I'm afraid the low ratings have rendered all of that moot. With a slower reveal, they could have explained all that, but the general show quality wasn't good enough for a long show lifespan. It would have been awesome to make it all the way to the end of the first season and then find out they were aliens.

We'll be lucky to even see "the end of the first season". :)

20. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK