The Equalizer (season thread)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Feb 8, 2021 #1 of 12
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

I've always had a soft spot for this show, from the original tv version with Edward Woodward to the Denzel interpretations and now with this new Queen Latifah version. While it may take a bit of imagination to believe Queen Latifah in the action scenes, I think the show pulled it off well enough for me to be focused on it. I've always liked her as an actor and she didn't disappoint. It was only the pilot episode but I like how the show was presented along with the supporting cast members. Appending it after the Super Bowl Game probably didn't help viewers find it. I ended up recording it but extending it by an hour to allow for its delayed starting time.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  2. Feb 8, 2021 #2 of 12
    Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I like Queenie, too, and am looking forward to watching this, probably today sometime.

3. Feb 8, 2021 #3 of 12
    Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Girl says "I talk to my mom everyday and I have a scholarship interview". I wonder which of these things she's going to try to do that will result in her getting caught. Girl has people trying to kill her and she's wanted for murder. She's worried about an interview??

4. Feb 8, 2021 #4 of 12
    Hercules67

Hercules67 TiVo addict

Dec 8, 2007
    Yeah, I extended everything by an hour, including Colbert and my local news.

Interesting how they always, optimistically, schedule a show for 10pm (E) /9pm (C) after the Superbowl, but it never gets shown then.

Anyway, I've always had a soft spot for "The Equalizer". I plan to watch this today and hope it's good.

5. Feb 8, 2021 #5 of 12
    Bruce24

Bruce24 Active Member

Jan 8, 2003
    boston

Advertisements

Which they gave a nod to by having Queen Latifa drive a Jag.

cheesesteak likes this.
  6. Feb 8, 2021 #6 of 12
    Hercules67

Hercules67 TiVo addict

Dec 8, 2007
    Gosh, I loved that show when it was on....

7. Feb 8, 2021 #7 of 12
    Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    You can see the first episode for free on vudu. I'm sure other services have it too. I liked it alot, will keep watching. Watched the original when they were released, owned it on Australian dvd and later finally US release.

lparsons21 and terpfan1980 like this.
  8. Feb 8, 2021 #8 of 12
    Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
  9. Feb 8, 2021 #9 of 12
    mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    I watched it and will stick around for now. Gave me kind of a "Person of Interest" vibe. It needs to improve, but it's got a good cast who'll tide me over for a bit while the show finds its legs.

jasrub likes this.
  10. lparsons21

lparsons21 Active Member

Feb 17, 2015
    I liked it too regardless of what any critics might say. Timer set.

jasrub likes this.
  11. eddyj

eddyj SeƱor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I'll give it a few more episodes. It was OK mindless entertainment.

12. alpacaboy

alpacaboy Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2004
    I was hooked on the original series. Funny aside: I still kind of think of Lori Loughlin as the Equalizer's son(William Zabka/Johnny Lawrence)'s girlfriend, though that was only like 2 episodes

New series: Overall, I liked it. I'm kind of easy with action-ish procedurals.
    Queen is doing well in the role. I mostly know of her from move musicals, so I wasn't sure going in, but it works for me.

Some things I wasn't crazy about were the batcave and the computer expert. Nothing against the actor, but I get tired of the "computer security is
    magic" trope. Like why set up a technological threat if that's not in the main character's wheelhouse? Instead, they end up going to their computer buddy, who just waves their hand over their magic keyboard and all electronic devices are on their side. Just focus on extortion rackets like the original and the movie reboot...
    I'm also a little worried that it's too much of a team thing (like the Macgyver reboot), where the original and the movie(first one anyway) had the loner protagonist with a recurring support team.

But the tone feels good. I'm in.