The end is nigh...?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by TheBear, Sep 26, 2009.

1. TheBear

TheBear Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Cornwall
    Apparently, Tivo have relinquished control of the UK website and not bothered to renew it as it "does not form part of the tivo strategy going forward" or whatever.

I have also heard a rumour from a normally reliable source that the service may cease at the end of this year.

2. steveroe

steveroe Must do some work...

Oct 29, 2002
    Oxford, UK
  3. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    What? Again? :)

4. mutant_matt2

mutant_matt2 New Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Indeed. ;)

How long will it take us to replace the schedules service though, I for one am not ready to give up the best, (still!), PVR available for use in the UK.... :)

5. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    It's from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TiVo.

Someone keeps editing in a quote saying it will all end at the end of the year (no source of course....)
    "The UK TiVo service will cease at the end of December 2009, the UK TiVo website having been removed in September of that year."

The wonder of wikipedia is that anybody can edit in any old rubbish and present it as fact...:rolleyes:
    [Edit]
    I've corrected it now.

6. kitschcamp

kitschcamp Tweaked and poked

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...
    Basic listings with episodic data, I'd say about 24 hours. Some people already run schedules for TiVo in Sweden, for example... It wouldn't be a huge ask.

Proper episodic long term data, a bit longer.

7. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    It does not take long to get over the loss of ones Tivo.

I once had three and now have one and I cannot remember how long ago that was last powered up.

Just the odd look at digiguide does me...

Automan.

8. kitschcamp

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...
    It depends on how you use things. When we moved to Sweden, I was desparate to get it up and running again after being without for a few months, and then having to use awful inferior systems. And enough to work out how to get TiVo working with Swedish listings, also...

9. shabbadoof13

shabbadoof13 New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    was on the phone today to TiVo about something else, but they were still selling subscriptions...both 10 quid and month and willing to take details for 199 lifetime

10. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    This must be about the only service that has never gone up or down in price.

And its been on offer now for neally ten years!

Automan.

11. katman

katman New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    East Anglia
    Interesting thought......

....it hasnt changed despite the change in the VAT rate.

Sky subs got adjusted so in effect for the last few months the Tivo service has actually increased in price LOL.

12. shabbadoof13

shabbadoof13 New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    the wiki entry has been edited again I see

Rumours abound that the UK TiVo service will cease altogether at the end of December 2009.

13. kitschcamp

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...
    Rumours have abounded for years! Almost as long as the service has been on offer. Until we hear something concrete from TiVo themselves, I'm not going to stress.

14. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    It shows how much this Wikipedia miscreant actually knows as Tivo's registration of tivo.co.uk seems to have been relinquished at least as long ago as 24th September 2007.

See www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=378923

and the current www.whois.co.uk entry for www.tivo.co.uk

I also note from the Wikipedia Version history that the miscreant has inserted their changes regarding the imminent end of UK Tivo service from more than one different IP address after that duff information had already been removed.:eek::mad::thumbsdown:

15. Trinitron

Trinitron New Member

Jan 20, 2003
    North West
    Not defending the entries one bit but varying IP addresses proves nothing. Many ISPs have dynamic addressing and I post from several different IP addresses dependent on which university VPN I happen to be connected through at the time!