The Detour - Season 4 * spoilers for all aired episodes *

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by series5orpremier, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Jul 3, 2019 #1 of 32
    series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    So far this season is so bizarre and twisted to a degree that rivals or exceeds season 1. I simply can’t look away. Just when I was anticipating they’re catching up to Delilah they get royally sidetracked again.

Tony_T likes this.
  2. Jul 4, 2019 #2 of 32
    Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    I think it's fallen off the rails.

uncdrew and Steveknj like this.
  3. Jul 4, 2019 #3 of 32
    series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    It also occurred to me to mention how great Mark Christopher Lawrence is in episode 2 as the cop who produced the public service video about runaway teenage girls. He also played Big Mike on the “Chuck” television series.

4. Jul 4, 2019 #4 of 32
    Gerryex

Gerryex Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Land O...
    Yes! I'm still watching but just barely hanging on. The last episode with the wife's twin and the fat guy in rather dirty tighty whities who could barely move or feed himself really turned me off. And of course the wife's twin was going to knock out the wife and take her place. Not sure how long i'll stick with it.

Gerry

5. Jul 5, 2019 #5 of 32
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    This season is totally bizarre. I understood looking for Delilah when they think she's potentially in some unsafe location halfway across the globe. But they learned for sure in the second episode that she's right there in Syracuse. Now that they know she's safe, they should just chill and let Delilah come back to them. So that's why I was totally baffled by Ep 3 when they're still looking for her. But I guess that was just a plot device to introduce the crazy sister. I wonder how long it will take before Nate realizes it's not his wife. They seemed to make a point of showing that the sister's boobs are bigger than Robin's, so wouldn't Nate recognize that pretty quickly?

6. Jul 5, 2019 #6 of 32
    series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    Well, they got the tip from their flyer offering the reward so they followed up, but Nate at first said he wasn’t buying it (and he turned out to be right). What didn’t quite hold water for me was why the two guys didn’t do a double take when they saw Robin and either say she’s your twin or think Robin WAS the crazy sister who lived there.

7. Jul 5, 2019 #7 of 32
    Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Bizarre wouldn't bother me if it were funny, which season 3 has not been.

Keep hoping.

uncdrew and Steveknj like this.
  8. Jul 5, 2019 #8 of 32
    series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    This is season 4.

Family likes this.
  9. Jul 6, 2019 #9 of 32
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I'd have stopped watching already if not for Natalie Zea :)

10. series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    I think the surprises and detours plot, like a lot of shows, has never been realistic all the way back to season 1. It’s also always been a mixture of a lot of different types of humor including slapstick and gross-out. So to me it’s pretty much the same show it’s always been and I think the show and Natalie Zea are both awesome. It’s predictable the Feds will soon be on their tail again and I hope Laura Benanti is back this season.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    DevdogAZ and ej42137 like this.
  11. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This exactly. The last episode was horrible. At least we got a lot of her! I'll give it another episode or 2 and see if it gets better.

Family likes this.
  12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I admit I haven't even finished S3 (I am about halfway through I think), but this show seemed to fall off the rails after the first season. It's just so weird that I put it off for a long time and then when I start watching, I semi-binge it (there was probably some other show I started watching when I stopped on S3).

13. series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    Jared: “I’m out! The family stories are just getting implausible.” Sounds familiar.

The B.J. worked for me. Several LOL moments, but with constantly being hit over the head with it Nate is just too much of an idiot to have not realized who he was with. I like how Jared’s commentary at the end was breaking the 4th wall to wink at the audience that the show is self-aware of how stupid it is. “I mean, what kind of hijinks are they going to get us into next?”

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  14. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    You mean Jareb, right? he also responds to "bastard"! ;)

I will always come back for Natalie Zea. The show is just as crazy as before but whereas past seasons were crazy and funny, this season is just crazy.

15. series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    Yes, I use them interchangeably. I usually think Jareb but sometimes autocorrect changes it to Jared and I happened to be looking at the IMDB Detour page when checking that which lists him as Jared and made me think it doesn’t matter that much.

I thought the sex-crazed hotel worker was pretty funny. And the videographer cop. I have noticed though for the main characters they’ve been relying a lot on slapstick this season.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  16. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    All our comforters are eyeballed for freshness on a biannual basis :D :up:

17. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    It's just gotten very silly and it seems that the plot (if you want to call it one) exists just to facilitate the sight gags. That said, I still am laughing at some things, so I'll stick with it for now.

18. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    They really needed subtitles when the fat guy spoke. I hardly understood anything he said.

Steveknj likes this.
  19. series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    I happened to have closed captioning on while watching, so it didn’t slow me down, but otherwise it would have been impossible to understand.

20. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I thought of turning on CC, but decided that it really didn't matter what he was saying. ;)

Family likes this.