The Defenders (spoilers ok)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Aug 19, 2017.

1. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    We should probably have a series thread with spoilers in addition to the no spoiler trailer thread.

I thought it was very good - 4 out of 5 stars. Ii was surprised that it was only eight episodes instead of ten but I guess I'd rather have eight and not have two episodes worth of filler. I binged all eight episodes in one day.

It seemed more like Iron Fist 2 with super friends.

Having the Iron Fist is pretty useless if you can't get your glow on at will.

I think Daredevil 3 is next on the list for this group of heroes but I'd rather have The Defenders 2 instead of their individual series.

I probably should have added "Netflix" and "Marvel" to the thread title.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  2. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    I really liked it. I thought at first this was going to drag on, since the group didn't meet each other until when, the second or third ep...?

But man did it simply take off then.

Oh let me add: Iron Fist appears to be impulsive, and overly emotional. What a f***ing tool. For someone who was trained by monks, this petulant imbecile has little to no self control.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I'm pretty sure it's Jessica Jones 2.

Which works for me...hers was my favorite of the individual series.

About to watch the final episode.

whoknows55 likes this.
  4. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    "You're the dumbest Iron Fist Yet" - YES!

IDSmoker likes this.
  5. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Personally, I think Iron Fist works a LOT better as part of an ensemble than as a solo act. That way, he can have his personal flaws without them getting in the way of the story.

I'd love to see Power Man & Iron Fist! They were starting to develop some good chemistry. Or Nightwing Restorations/Daughters of the Dragon (Misty Knight and Colleen Wing), once Misty gets her bionic arm.

I'm glad they didn't drag out the return of Matt. That would have been kind of insulting to pretend we might believe he's really dead until his next show.

I was amused how they made Jessica the stand-in for those in the audience who don't like comic books, with all her snarky remarks about superheroes.

Is Jessica Jones or Punisher up next?

6. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    The Punisher is up next followed by Jessica Jones 2. Luke Cage 2 just finished filming and Daredevil 3 is supposed to start filming in October.

7. milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Falls...
    I hope they offer some explanation how Matt got out. I lnow its a comic, but I mean, the whole premise of blowing the building would be pointless if people magically survive it.

I thought it was a bit slow moving. I'd give it 3.5, maybe 4 stars on a good day. I didnt see the iron fist season because it was so universally panned. Seeing his character, yeah, I'm glad i didnt.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

8. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I didn't grow up with comic books. There was no better secondary or tertiary Marvel character better than Iron Fist? I mean, Danny Rand/Iron Fist wasn't as crappy in this ensemble as he was in his own series but he was still a distant #4 out of the major characters in The Defenders. Hell, I'd rather Coleen Wing be the Iron Fist instead of Danny Rand.

It was weird that Stick showed up with a bloody stump where his hand used to be and everybody was cool with it.

Alexandra was as annoying to me in this series as was Ultron. I spent most of the movie hoping for her death but I did not see her death coming. That surprised me.

Comic book people... was this an original story or was it based on an old Marvel comic book series?

9. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    AFAIK it's original (unless it's based on something from the 1987-2001 period when I was out of comics). I know the Hand has nothing to do with K'un-Lun, and there's no immortal group of five who founded and continue to run it.

10. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I enjoyed. LOVE Sigourney Weaver. I could sit and watch her read the phone book. I really did not see what happens coming...

Some of the fight sequences were amazing - and then some of them were really bad - I often find these Marvel shows to have fight sequences that are hard to follow...
    another example - I found the (i'll call it the cave) cave sequence to have so much going on that nothing really mattered - then they all stop have a conversation and all the bad guys they just beat up get up and fight them again.

I actually like the Iron Fist series but - here - some of his dialogue was so movie preview voice-over-ish.

I think the ongoing problem with binge watching is you get so much information in a short time span that by the time the next one rolls around it's hard to retain everything. They really need a Last time on or recap of some sort. I got ten minutes in and went back to the last episode of Jessica Jones cos I had no memory of how it ended.

11. AeneaGames

AeneaGames Member

May 2, 2009
    Since Danny opened a door to Kun-Lun (sp?) he didn't know about I assume Matt came thru another door which ends up being in another place in the world...

12. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I liked it. I watched the first season of Daredevil, all of Jessica Jones, and a few episodes of Luke Cage and a few of Iron First. But I was mostly able to follow along.

I noticed that Gao and the Japanese talking guy were not decapitated, so they may still be alive too.

13. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I liked it. It reminded me how much I liked Jessica Jones and Luke Cage from Jessica Jones. (his own show wasn't great) I'm looking forward to Jessica Jones season 2.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, AFAIC Jessica Jones is the stand-out character of the Marvel Netflix world.

whoknows55 and IDSmoker like this.
  15. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Ya, if it wasn't for Jessica, I would of stopped after the 2nd episode.
    Loved Sigourney Weaver she was very good, tho awfully touchy feely with Elektra's face. Seemed every scene they were alone in she was stroking her face. lol

16. cbrrider

cbrrider Active Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Madame Gao is awesome.

Elektra seemed a bit overpowered.

Overall, enjoyed the series. Very slow start. Might have been better as a 6 episode series instead of 8.

17. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    Gao reminds me of Yoda.

18. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I liked Season 1 of Dare Devil a lot too. Season 2 wasn't as good, but hopefully all this hand stuff is over and we can move on to another bad guy for season 3.

19. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Started Episode 2 tonight... was pleased to see a "Skip Credits" button to skip straight to the program!

20. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I thought Luke Cage was the best series out of all of them until Diamondback showed up and then it plummeted to Iron Fist levels.

I guess part of Jessica Jones' charm is that she can't really fight but it wouldn't hurt if she knew a little bit more than "punch", "kick" and "drive a car onto somebody"