The Dead Zone 6/17/07 ** spoilers **

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gchance, Jun 18, 2007.

1. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA

Advertisements

Wayyyy back there was a blog entry by Shawn Piller basically saying they were reinventing the show.

They weren't kidding. *FOUR* characters gone? Walt dead, Janus dead, Bruce taking a job out of state, Purdy leaving and going "somewhere". No more end-of-the-world visions, which could presumably mean, no more Stillson?

I'm not entirely sure what to make of it, but geez. Let's just kill everybody and get it over with.

Greg

2. jimborst

jimborst Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 30, 2001
    IA USA
    As I watched I kept thinking how are they going to bring Walt back, maybe Johnny just having a very long vision but..... I know the show has been having problems but I chose to watch it before the 4400, that show has (from what I remember) just been a chore to watch. Maybe I'll get around to try that Monday. If the Dead Zone is just going to start over how will they even tie it into the book and original movie.

3. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Anyone notice the music related product placement in both this and The 4400? There was an iTunes gift card in Dead Zone, and a plug for TV on the Radio (which I looked up on iTunes, of course) in The 4400.

And... damn me for read this thread early! I'm only 27 minutes into it :(

4. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    What happened to JJ? Why the new actor?

It looked like Nicole DeBoer is actually pregnant so I guess they had to write that in?

Not sure I like this reboot so far.

5. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK

Advertisements

Is there any chance that Sarah's kid might be Johnny's too? Didn't they briefly sleep together in a previous episode?

6. jonasfisher

jonasfisher New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    yeah....this JJ doesn't even resemble the last one! I feel like I'm in the twilight zone!

7. raebyddet

raebyddet Person

Oct 21, 2003
    Maryland
    Wow, they just totally killed the show. They just ended the only thing I ever watched the show for. The overarching mystery was the reason I watched. Now it looks like they are going to a serialized soap show. No more for me.

8. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    This was lame... The show has been sucking for a few seasons now, and then they pump out yet another painfully bad hour of TV. Auf Wiedersehen, Walt. I'll give it two more episodes to see if this "reboot" goes anywhere. After that I'm going to stop wasting my time with it.

9. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    The show has been horrible for a few seasons, but this was the definition of a Jump the Shark moment.

10. raebyddet

raebyddet Person

Oct 21, 2003
    Maryland
    Indeed.

11. Fleegle

Fleegle Chef-In-Training

Jan 15, 2002
    They shipped Bruce off? Well, then it's not really The Dead Zone anymore is it? Who's Johnny going to play off of now?

12. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    On the other hand, while I would prefer they dealt seriously with the show's main storyline, it will probably be less annoying that they have dropped it altogether than it was when they constantly ignored it.

Now, the show will never be what it could have been, but it might be better than it was when it was ignoring what it could have been. If you know what I mean...

13. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    Yea! There is so much other stuff to watch on Sunday Night.

14. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    heh, I was going to say.

"This show is still on?"

...because I stopped watching a season or 2 ago.

Looks like I havn't missed much.

15. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    I don't think it is entirely fair to judge an entire season based on the opening episode. Who says that the end of the world visions are really gone? The vision of Walt getting killed was gone and it happened anyway.

16. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I was gonna type up my standard tivo response then i realized not everyone here has it. But you should get it! Makes those nights there is nothing on so much better.

----------
    they should have made jj 10 years older like they change out characters in soap operas. My wife told me that one day you could have a 5 yr old boy in the show then him disappear a bit and show up as 15 in a few weeks while all the other cast remained on the current timeline. Sure makes for bizarre character changes.

So stillson is not the man we think it is. Maybe he really has a heart and now that he is in power will be nice to everyone? And spending all this time back 'home' seemed a tad out of place being the VP and all. hard to secure a carnival scene etc.

so now who will believe john and help him as well as do all the police work? having the fuzz on his side was a huge part of the show.

17. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    <Ron Weasley>Poisonous toadstools don't change their spots.</Ron Weasley>

The man is a murderer and accessory to murder on more than one occasion.

18. johnspalm

johnspalm New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    I've been pretty patient with this show for the past few seasons. Now, they have just gone totally overboard. Lucky for them that this is a summer show on a cable network.

My money is on cancellation at the end of this season.

19. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    I strongly suspect that the people behind Janus will replace him with someone even more nasty, and suddenly the end-of-the-world visions will reappear. In the book, Stillson was the bad guy, not just the puppet of the bad guy.

I wonder if they haven't already decided that this will be the last season. If that is their goal, then they might just give the series a proper ending, with a climax, oh, and dare I ask, a story conclusion that is satisfying and makes sense. No onion rings!

20. raebyddet

raebyddet Person

Oct 21, 2003
    Maryland
    Maybe, you do have a point. However I am judging this on the episode itself and on the previews for next week.
    The preview showed him in conflict with the new sheriff, this would seem to be taking the show in a new direction. It seemed to be totally focused on that relationship.

I think overall I was just kind in shock over 4 people leaving the show rather suddenly and what appears to be a retooling of the show.

If the show simply becomes a vision one week and Johnny saving or changing whatever it is, then next week its a new vision completely unrelated, then no thanks I won't be watching anymore. If I wanted this I could watch any of the Law and Order shows. I watched this show simply because of the overall story arch if its gone then I won't watch the show any more.