The Daily Show - Trevor Noah edition

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Nov 5, 2020 #1 of 10
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

I just thought I'd give Trevor Noah his props for how much he's improved as a host and interviewer since he's taken over for Jon Stewart as the host. My two late not comedian talk shows are The Daily Show and Stephen Colbert. I've always loved Colbert but I find that in this covid-19, non-studio audience version of their shows that I prefer TDS over LSSC. Your mileage may vary.

2. Nov 5, 2020 #2 of 10
    morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Trevor is significantly better than when he first started. The show from his apartment works really well and he’s gotten a lot more knowledgeable on certain subjects he was lacking on before.

3. Nov 5, 2020 #3 of 10
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Those are my two late night shows, as well. I always watch them the next morning. Both guys are very smart and very funny.

I miss Jon Stewart all the time, as an aside, and would love to see him on cable tv again more. Every now and then he stops by TDS and LSSC (where he's also an EP), and I always love it.

4. Nov 5, 2020 #4 of 10
    morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Jon Stewart will be on Apple TV+ some time next year.

Jon Stewart Returns to Spotlight With a Series for Apple TV+

mattack likes this.
  5. Nov 9, 2020 #5 of 10
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

Advertisements

While TN is still not as good (or as funny) as JS, he has grown on me a lot. I think he feels less like a South African reading staff jokes about American politics (that he may not even have any insight on) to someone who's really tuned in on it. It's funny but I think his show works best in the current format, with him home and no audience. For some reason, I find him funnier like this. The show is always better when they have good staff, which he has now mostly (though I can do without Dulce Sloan and Jabuki, who I don't find all that funny, Dulce feels like she stole Leslie Jones' act, and Jabuki is just not very funny. I like Desi Lydic, Roy Wood Jr. Jordan Kelpper, Ronnie Chaing (who is severely underused) and of course, when he comes on Lewis Black.

As for his interviewing skill, yeah, better, but I think, more than JS his interviewees tend to mostly people who's subjects he has interest in (mostly around African American issues) and I often skip them.

6. Nov 9, 2020 #6 of 10
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    No, you have just overcome your prejudice. I told you back then that his standup which he had been doing for years in America contained a lot of American political commentary but you stuck to your belief that he didn’t know what he was talking about. Instead of realizing you were wrong, you have rationalized that he has changed when he hasn’t.

7. Nov 9, 2020 #7 of 10
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I just started watching TDS (now called The Daily Social Distancing Show) again over the past few months. I stopped watching the show when Jon Stewart left but decided to give it another shot. I've only seen Trevor doing the show from his apartment so I can't comment on how he does in a normal venue. I think he adds more of a comedic twist than Jon Stewart did. Stewart was really savvy when it came to politics so I miss his insight. Trevor seems to be on top of things as well and does a good job showing the silliness and insanity that runs rampant in the political climate in this country.

Steveknj likes this.
  8. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Don't tell me what I did. I described how I felt back then, and how I felt now. Why are you telling me I feel different. Do you KNOW me? I stand by what I said back then, and I stand by what I'm saying now.

9. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    And you ignore the FACT that he used American politics as part of his stand up well before TDC. Your “feeling” was a claim that he didn’t know American politics. That’s not a personal preference. That’s a claim to an erroneous fact. I don’t need to know you to know you made a claim to a fact that is wrong. And yet you continue to claim it.

10. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I didn't see his stand up before he was on TDS, so I didn't have that context, so it was only what I saw when I originally watched him. That said, he has a much better feel for it now than he did then, even just on TDS. When I originally watched him, to me (perhaps not to you), it felt like he was just reading the jokes without complete understanding. Over time, between getting comfortable doing the show, having writers getting used to his style and him being much more in the thick of things now, he's gotten MUCH better.