The Daily Show question

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by RGM1138, Jun 16, 2011.

1. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Is there anyplace that runs uncensored episodes of TDS? Apparently not on CC.com. They run the same edited eps there as on cable.

2. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Define "uncensored".

Do you mean without words being bleeped, or do you mean uncut?

If there's a significant guest that warrants an extended interview, they will often put the full uncut interview on their thedailyshow.com website.

Couldn't tell you about unbleeped versions though.

3. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Swear words apparently scare online advertisers as well.

4. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Or it's just easier to produce a single version of the program.

AFAIK they aren't selling DVDs of TDS shows, so there's no real incentive to create a second, uncensored cut. In fact, there's a disincentive, because they'd rather you watch it on TV where they can charge more for ads. Anything that makes the online streaming more appealing than the broadcast is a net negative for them (which probably explains the increasing crappiness of their online player...).

5. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I can usually figure out what the word being bleeped is and it rarely really adds to the show. Just the fact it was said is sometimes funny but you could substitute almost any censored word to it and it would not change the meaning. I dislike censored movies and won't watch them on TV but this thing does not bug me.

6. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Are you asking because you have a need to hear Jon say the f-word, or is it because there are occasionally words that you don't know what he said?

7. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Yes, sometimes I'm not sure which words he's saying. I can usually guess, depending on the context. They recently had Matt Stone & Trey Parker on discussing a word they previously couldn't say on South Park. I couldn't read their lips, but they kept saying the word numerous times, and I couldn't figure out what it was.

Annoying.

8. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Can't tell if you figured it out yet -- it was the S-word.

As alluded to during the interview, the reason they do more bleeping on "The Daily Show" than they do on "South Park" is because Comedy Central has "Daily Show" reruns in the morning and afternoon hours; presumably, they could do separate "evening" and "daytime" versions with different amounts of bleeping, but apparently nobody cares enough to do that.

Almost never, that is -- I can't remember now whether it was "The Daily Show" or "The Colbert Report," but back when the author of this book was interviewed, they left the book title unbleeped for the evening/overnight broadcasts, then bleeped it for the daytime reruns the next day.

9. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Thanks. I was thinking that was it but I wasn't sure.

10. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Before I clicked the link, I guessed "Go The F to Sleep", but I was wrong. :)

11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Did sweeps just end? Why the half-week (err, half of 4, their normal quantity per week) of new Daily Show & Colberts? or wait, I think one had 3 new eps.. but there was a rerun of both last night IIRC..

12. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Sweeps ended a couple of weeks ago (Wednesday, May 25 was the end of the season). No idea why they'd be doing a half-week this week. Maybe they had a scheduled break and stuck around a few extra days to get more mileage out of the Wiener thing, and then shut it down when the story died out. Just a guess, probably not right.

13. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Interesting how you had "no idea" immediately followed by an idea! ;)

You're probably right ... about being "probably not right", that is. :cool: :p :D

14. lambertman

lambertman Incrediburgible

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    ABCNews:

"...Jon Stewart, who was at an event in Washington, D.C. Stewart didn't tape a show yesterday because he was performing at a Bob Woodruff Foundation event..."

15. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    That censorship of the book title was stupid. Name me a kid over the age of 5 who has not heard the S-word. I even heard a minister in a Unitarian church say it once in a sermon. :)

16. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    ...and sweeps don't apply to cable anyway.

I don't think there's ever been a rerun of "The Daily Show" and a new "Colbert Report," or vice versa -- either they're both new, or they're both reruns.

Stephen Colbert may not have been busy Thursday, but on Friday, he gave the commencement speech at his alma mater (and mine), Northwestern University.

17. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Do you mean sh*t? Or do you mean schl0ng or do you mean sna!ch or....

18. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    snark

19. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    The funny thing is, they used the word d*ldo several times on the same show. Is that less objectionable than sh*t?

20. Boston Fan

Boston Fan Active Member

Feb 7, 2006
    Eastern PA
    According to Stewart, the censors actually have a number of times he is allowed to say that word per show (I think he said three) before the censors deem it objectionable. Guess the censors must be Monty Python fans? ("And the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count!")