The Daily Show "Jim Cramer" (3/12/09)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by LoadStar, Mar 13, 2009.

1. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI

Advertisements

So... anyone else watch the conclusion to the war between Jon Stewart and CNBC?

I'll repost here the thoughts that I posted on another blog:

1) Jon Stewart has been indignant in the past when people suggested that TDS is a news show. With this interview, which took up the entire show and was not satire or comedy in the least, Stewart (IMHO) can no longer say with any credibility that TDS is not a news show.

2) While Cramer is arguably complicit in the sins of the network, he is not the network, but Stewart took him to task as if he were. At the same time, Stewart complained repeatedly that Cramer was reacting too personally... well, what is he supposed to do? He's not in charge of the network, he can only respond to what he did, and like the article says, to his credit he didn't do much to defend himself. In any case, if Jon wanted someone to really take the blame for the network, he needs to have the network head on, not just a host of one show on the network.

2. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Well, I understand where Stewart was coming from, and he attempted on multiple occasions to point his accusations not directly at Cramer but at CNBC as a whole. Although, most of his specific examples were directed at Cramer, he did state on multiple occasions that he was taking the whole network to task, and that it was unfortunate that Cramer had simply become the face of his derision.

As for TDS not being a news show, that's just the way Stewart hides from the responsibility to do any true journalism. I found it pretty disingenuous of him to sit there and take Cramer/CNBC to task for not being more intrepid with their reporting, yet he can claim that his show doesn't have to do any of the same reporting, because their news is "fake."

3. Buzant

Buzant New Member

Sep 11, 2002
    San Francisco
    I agree, I think Jon repeated several times that his accusations were against CNBC and their failure to be on the side of their viewers and not who they were reporting.

The Daily show is a comedy show, a parody, it is on Comedy Central, it is definitly not a news show, so I think to point out that Jon is being disingenuous, is not valid at all. As he pointed out his show does not make the same claim as CNBC does for giving expert advise on the market.

4. askewed

askewed Snoogins

Sep 12, 2000
    NJ
    I had a different experience when I watched. I felt that Stewart shined a bright light on an important issue and made it easy for a layperson to understand. I expect a lot to come from this interview.

On a side, Cramer was a fool to go on the show. They trashed talked back and forth and Stewart got the better of him in the end. He (Cramer) should have faked a stroke two sentences into the interview.

5. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA

Advertisements

I was really annoyed with Stewart. He very rarely let Cramer finish even a single sentence and just kept interrupting him. He should have let Cramer finish what he was trying to say, even if he disagreed with what was being said. He reminded me of an irate parent.

"Son, what do you have to say for yourself?

"I'm sorry, dad, but you see..."

"Doh! I don't want to here it! To your room!"

"But dad, all that happened was that...."

"I don't believe you! You know, I should ground you!"

"It wasn't just me. It was also..."

"Lies! You know, your mother is going to be so disappointed in you."

6. Jeeters

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    He needed Cramer to be there as punching bag to do that?

Maybe it was CNBC's decision, and not his.

7. TheDewAddict

TheDewAddict tciddAweDehT

Aug 21, 2002
    Amsterdam,...
    I think TDS stopped being a parody a long time ago. They're now a news show that uses humor, and sometimes does parody-ish reports. For the most part though, they still report the news, then make a crack about it.

The Colbert Report is a parody, TDS is no longer. Yesterday I went back and watched the first TDS with Jon Stewart. That was a parody show. It's a very different show now.

8. ncsercs

ncsercs DirecTivo fan.......

May 5, 2001
    Hinsdale, IL
    Isn't this the same guy who used to host "Remote Control" on MTV?

I thought so.

Who would take him seriously?

9. Jeeters

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    No.

10. FilmCritic3000

FilmCritic3000 Active Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...
    Correct. Remote Control (which I enjoyed) was hosted by Ken Ober.

11. askewed

askewed Snoogins

Sep 12, 2000
    NJ
    You're definitely having a different reaction to it then I did. Any idea why you are identifying so strongly with Cramer?

12. berkchops516

berkchops516 Member

Dec 5, 2005
    NY
    I loved the whole week leading up to this and last night was great. Can't wait until I get some time today to watch the unaired portions of the interview.

The whole thing with TDS is that it is a comedy show on Comedy Central. It may give news type information but it's main purpose is to entertain and to make people laugh. Stewart makes no claims to be a true journalist, if anything I think he is giving editorial like commentaries on news/current events.

13. stujac

stujac Member

Jan 26, 2002
    I thought JS was spot-on throughout the entire interview. I give Cramer credit for having the guts to endure it but he deserved it anyway.

You must always remember many on this site view TDS as a political tool for a side they don't agree with. Nothing JS says or does will sit well with them so they'll take any opportunity to slam him.

14. lambertman

lambertman Chris Lambert, man

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Wow, that was ironic.

15. scottykempf

scottykempf New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I didn't get what John was trying to do. He was talking about the network. How is Cramer to speak for the network? When he tried to say what he does on his show, John says "Its not about you." So Cramer is stuck. He can't win.

And look at the tone of this particular show. People are saying it's a fake news show, a comedy. That show was in no way comedy. John was out for blood. And I usually enjoy the Daily Show.

16. Jeeters

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I'm not identifying at all with Cramer. I just didn't like the way Stewart ran the 'interview'. It wasn't really an interview.

17. askewed

askewed Snoogins

Sep 12, 2000
    NJ
  18. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I don't play the market but I do watch a lot of CNBC, including Cramer. I actually felt a bit sorry for him by the end of the night. I believe he came in thinking this was going to a humorous, fake battle and discovered that Stewart was going to tear him a new a**hole. He also discovered that Stewart is an extremely intelligent guy and knows what he's talking about.

Interestingly, CNN this morning noted that Stewart's ratings have been up 20% this week while Cramer's have been down 24%.

I will say there are CNBC personalities who could probably fight back better than Cramer did. Erin Burnett, for example, is not only stunningly beautiful but she can be brutally honest when interviewing or commenting on business leaders. Jeff Macke (one of the bald guys on Fast Money) could easily go toe to toe with Stewart.

All in all, a great 30 minutes of tv and a TKO by Stewart.

19. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    I'm glad I stopped watching TDS. Sounds like a train wreck.

20. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Precisely this, on all counts, including that I usually enjoy TDS.