The CW

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Beeper3000, Jan 26, 2006.

UPN + The WB = The CW (Good Idea?)

1. Yes

112 vote(s)
    78.9%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. Beeper3000

Beeper3000 New Member

Jan 9, 2005
    SD
    UPN + The WB = The CW (Good Idea?)

2. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Are you asking about the name or the whole idea of merging the two networks?

3. Beeper3000

Beeper3000 New Member

Jan 9, 2005
    SD
    Merging of the two networks.

4. Dmon4u

Dmon4u Unresponsive User

Jul 15, 2000
    PA
    The name could have been better.

Perhaps they should have used old corporate overlord name for UPN, which was Viacom. Then taking the first letter from that and adding the W, they would have had

VW !

Ah, nevermind....

5. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    I could care less about the merging itself, but I do have an opinion on the name. Already I've heard Moonves call it "The CW". Why add the "The" to it? Can't we just call it "CW". After all we don't say "The FX", or "The E!"? I never could figure out why they added "The" onto WB. Always sounded kind of awkward to me.

6. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    I always thought it was because it only had two letters, and they needed to add something to have three like everyone else. Not that I don't agree they could have come up with something better than "The." Plus, "W" is multi-syllabic so even without the "The" it has more syllables than ABC, NBC, CBS or UPN, and especially Fox since that is pronounced as a word, not "F-O-X."

Then again, a lot of people apparently don't think of "W" as multi-syllabic. I remember a thread here once discussing how on ER they say "GSW" to abbreviate "gunshot wound" even though the abbreviation takes longer to say - 5 syllables vs. 3, and the whole point would seem to be to save time in saying it, as opposed to writing it, given the emergency room setting.

Another point though, since it's supposed to be a merger of UPN and the WB, why not use letters from those two instead of one from CBS? I'm aware of the CBS/UPN corporate relationship, but shouldn't it be about the actual TV networks? I think "The UW" or "The WU" would have been better - I'm assuming we're stuck with the "the" in any event.

Anyway, I answered yes to the poll. There just weren't enough decent shows to justify both of those networks, and my UPN affiliate's (DC 20) HD signal is only strong enough to get a signal if you actually live in the tower itself.

7. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars back to back is such an obvious winner that they'll never do it. :(

Of course, if GG's producers don't sign a contract for next year, that idea's out. But then there's room for Everwood.

8. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    The two weakest networks merging to attempt to become stronger?

Sounds like a reasonable business decision to me.

Also, they clearly don't even currently have enough highly rated shows between them to put them together to make up a schedule for one network much less two, so the consolidation makes sense.

9. Beeper3000

Beeper3000 New Member

Jan 9, 2005
    SD
    Wonder whats going to happen to some of the affilliates that have to go to independent. Does anyone think that there will be another network coming? i.e. FOX 2

10. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    All of the UPN and WB stations I'm familiar with existed as independents before becoming WB and UPN affiliates. I guess they'll just go back to that. I don't see another network coming out of this - I think they've realized that the quality programming is spread too thin as it is, thus the contraction. Why would that lead directly to another expansion?

11. dadx2

dadx2 I am Hence I Tivo

Oct 14, 2002
    Silicon...
    I'm against the merger because too many low rated good shows will be axed! :mad:

12. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    But, it is possible that some low rated good shows will be saved with a larger audience that isn't split between two networks.

13. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    In addition to a little less competition, this will also expose some shows in markets where they weren't previously available.

14. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    The New Orleans UPN affiliate was built by Viacom as a UPN affiliate.

The New Orleans WB affiliate went on the air in 1983 as an independent, did a stint as our FOX affiliate for several years, then went to WB. During that time, it changed ownership several times, eventually coming to be owned by Tribune.

They have announced that the WB affiliate will become the CW affiliate. The license for the UPN station (built by Viacom to be a UPN affiliate) will be put up for sale (and the station may simply go off the air).

15. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    I can't vote since I can't recall ever having watched a show on either network. ;)

The local UPN affiliate runs Jeopardy, but that wouldn't count, would it?

16. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    Interesting. In D.C. the new station will also be on the current WB affiliate. I believe our UPN affiliate carries some pro sports - Wizards and/or Capitals and/or Orioles and/or Nationals games, I forget which one(s). In fact, that station carried the local OTA simulcast of the Redskins ESPN Sunday Night games. In any case, I was just saying that I'm sure a lot of stations will survive just fine as independents - it wasn't all that long ago that we didn't the WB and UPN, or even Fox for those of us old enough (ahem) to remember. I grew up in Philly and there were 3 main independent stations - 17, 29 and 48 and if I'm not mistaken (haven't lived there since 1990, so I might be) those are now the WB, UPN, and Fox affiliates. But when they were independent, I don't ever recall thinking, jeez, someone better start a new network or these guys are going to go out of business. Of course, DC and Philly are pretty big markets, so maybe some stations elsewhere will just go off the air.

17. AJRitz

AJRitz Princess Anti-Santa

Mar 25, 2002
    Overland...
    I dearly hope that here in KC, the current UPN affiliate becomes the CW affiliate. The UPN affiliate broadcasts in HD and is available in HD via Time-Warner cable. The WB affiliate is not available on TWC.

/me LOVE watching Veronica Mars in HD :D

18. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles

uhm, like what?
    Girlfriends? One on One?

19. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    For example? :confused:

I can't think of any show on these netlets that's in danger of getting the axe that doesn't deserve it. There's really only 4-5 shows total between the two that are worth keeping. Personally, I only watch two but I'll defer to the judgment of some others that a couple of the other shows are worthwhile also.

20. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    The University of Washington already has "The UW" in use and therefore it really isn't available for national branding. "The WU" would have similar issues since there are a couple of schools with those initials.

"The CW" is probably thought to be the best combo since it kinda incorporates all the corporate names plus has a technical meaning too. "The WB" used to bill itself as "The Frog" after the mascot and just in the last year or two did they drop that for "The WB". "WBUPN" or "UPNWB" sound like they would need a "/" in the middle since both already have some namespace. "PW" or "The PW" sounds like a rap group. "CW" is a telecom company's acronym and is also a mode of wireless transmission so "The CW" gets picked.