The Crown - Season 2 (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Agatha Mystery, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....

Advertisements

I binged watched the Crown in a couple of days. Some things really stood out at me.

Nudity/Sex scenes - really come off as a surprise. I don't recall anything like that in the first season, aside from a reference to Elizabeth going down on her knees. There was nothing overt. Instead, we get extended sex scenes with Margaret's beau/fiance. I was really surprised that it came up like that. Seemed more like they put it in for the shock factor than it being needed to tell the story. They could have alluded to it the way the rest of the season and the previous season alluded to it.

The 5 month tour was 3 episodes (and 2 episodes too long). I kept thinking 'get on with it'. There didn't seem like there was enough to put in those 3 episodes. I expected more from the Olympic games.

Things that needed more time - their "arrangement" wasn't fleshed out as to what they did to make Philip happy to stay in the marriage. If you don't know if there was one, don't reference it for the show. And if you do, give some details, because otherwise, it's just confusing. I know that there is speculation that Philip cheated, but no real proof. I'm sure that's what they are trying to convey here. In reality, though, they just implied that he cheated and that she was willing to accept it. Same with Philip getting to decide Charles's education. The show implied that it was part of the arrangement. I also feel like the Kennedy thing was a bit weird. I've never heard the drugs angle before. It's an interesting portrayal of Jackie. I felt like the actress was too thin for the role, though. It was distracting.

wtherrell likes this.
  2. danielhart

danielhart Nerp Nerp

Apr 27, 2004
    Just watched eps 1 and 2 tonight. Enjoyed them. Looking forward to sex and nudity!

3. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I binged it also this weekend.
    Same thoughts on the 7 month tour, dragged on too long.

Funny this show is is always a longer binge for me, because I keep pausing and going to Wiki to look up info being played out during the epidode, like the Queens spat with Jackie.

megory and MScottC like this.
  4. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Just watched "Watch what happens Live" with Claire Foy and Matt Smith.

Learned that the Buckingham palace set shared the lot with UK Big Brother.

5. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...

Advertisements

Much of the show is just speculation. The Royal Family are very tight-lipped as to their private affairs. The series is best thought of as a "historical fiction" as it's really a made-up story that just happens to revolve around a lot of known events and people.

Regarding Charles and Gordonstoun School...my understanding is that it's always where Phillip wanted Charles to go as he felt Charles was a wimp, and that Gordonstoun would toughen him up. Interesting to see the flashbacks where Philip himself appeared to be just as miserable there. Whether the Queen hated the idea and got into a fight with Phillip about it, we'll never know. But that could also be part of the "arrangement" referenced in the show, that as a father he be allowed to have a more "fatherly" role even though legally Elizabeth wears the pants AND the dress in the family. Phillip has been quoted about being just a "bloody amoeba" because he was little more than a sperm donor for the Queen. The issue over what surname the kids would carry is also a known point of contention, and indeed the Queen changed her mind about it: when Charles and Anne were born, their surname was "Windsor" (hers) but Andrew and Edward were born as Mountbatten-Windsors.

Phillip probably did have affairs, including during the so-called "5 month stag party." But that's not unusual for people in that social circle, and as long as it was discreet it was even considered acceptable; just look at how the show portrayed PM Harold MacMillan's marriage. That would explain why despite having four children, there is an almost 10 year gap between Anne and Andrew. If he was still having affairs after Andrew was born though, I don't think we'd have Edward. Elizabeth already had her "heir and a spare" so any children after Anne were purely optional.

One thing I find fascinating about the show is how much of a role the advisors and the Prime Minister play in how the monarchy is run and how much influence they exert over Her Majesty. A seemingly big example is the issue over Margaret marrying Group Captain Peter Townsend; as her sister, Elizabeth wants Margaret to marry the man she truly loves, but as head of the Church of England it presented a lot of thorny issues at the time, especially since Edward VIII's abdication happened less than a generation earlier. Another one is when she went to Ghana to try to dissuade them from having a closer relationship with the Soviets, a trip that everybody else including the PM was dead-set against.

Speaking of which, Edward (David) truly seemed to be an evil man. The UK was better off without him. They might even be speaking German now if he had stayed on the throne.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    megory likes this.
  6. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Knew (decades later) about JFK's "Dr Feelgood" shots. Back pain but then added "kicks". Surprised to see Jackie took the hits too. Speculative.
    Excellent series. Well acted. Brings back memories.
    Wife & daughter obsessed with The Crown.
    What did we fight that Revolution for???

7. mqpickles

mqpickles Active Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Wichita, KS
    Here to register my opinion that Rupert Perry Jones should play Prince Phillip in season 3.

8. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    What's the known plans for this show? Are they going to eventually recast the main characters as they jump to more recent decades?

9. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Its pretty much out there that Olivia Coleman takes over for Claire Foy and that the next season takes place in the 70s. It also won’t air till 2019.
    They haven’t announced the other casting but it’s pretty much a replace of everybody.

SoupMan and BrettStah like this.
  10. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    I wish they had picked a better actor for the JFK role. That just didn't do it for me at all.

megory likes this.
  11. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I felt both JFK and Jackie were miscast. Bobby was passable.

12. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Very much agreed... they were the worst castings I've seen of JFK and Jackie that I can remember.

megory likes this.
  13. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Yes

14. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I thought Michael C Hall was OK - I thought the actress playing Jackie was terrible.

I don't actually think it is a secret or a spoiler regarding casting, but I will just in case.

The concept of The Crown is to replace the Queen and Phillip every 2 seasons. Each season is supposed to cover approximately a decade. Olivia Colman - probably best known here for Broadchurch - has already been announced as The Queen for seasons 3 & 4. Personally, I think that is a brilliant idea.

BrettStah likes this.
  15. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    I thought episodes 5 and 6 were utterly phenomenal. Those were the episodes about her speech at the Jaguar factory and the revelations about King Edward.

I can't help but wonder if the casting and portrayals of JFK and Jackie O weren't intentional slaps in the face to Americans. That is all I can come up with for the unbelievably awful casting of those roles; let alone the portrayal of JFK as a drug-addled domestic abuser. Like many folks, I've enjoyed Michael C. Hall since Six Feet Under, but that was by far the worst casting and portrayal of JFK I've ever seen. The woman playing Jackie O was so wispy thin it was distracting. Maybe she really was like that and it's just never come across in the pictures I've seen.

16. ClutchBrake

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Are there more than 4 seasons of The Crown planned? For some reason I had it in my head it was planned for 4 and done. Six would make sense though.

17. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    According to a website:
    The series is intended to last 60 episodes over six seasons.

I didn't realize Peter Morgan who created this, is the guy that did the movie The Queen with Helen Mirren and then did the stage play The Audience (also with Mirren). Now this all makes sense especially in the similarities to the 1-on-1 meetings with the Prime Ministers. I also heard Helen Mirren said she was not going to do the 2 final seasons after a rumor started that she would.

Netflix hasn't technically picked it up for Season 3 yet - but everyone is assuming they will...

ClutchBrake likes this.
  18. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    This show is boring. ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

19. mqpickles

mqpickles Active Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Wichita, KS
    I enjoy a lot of British productions, but yes, they like taking little jabs at Americans. Love Actually is a good example. There are a handful of American characters, and only one that is a good person is the Laura Linney character, and she’s just sad.

As for the Kennedys, I need to rewatch that episode because my takeaway was that Jackie was lying about abuse as part manipulating Elizabeth. That’s not to dispute that the characters were both nasty, and poorly cast.

They did a much better job casting Billy Graham. And notably made him a redeeming character. It was interesting to see him through the eyes of Brits, for whom that style of religious leader would be so unusual.

20. ClutchBrake

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    :D

7thton likes this.