1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Crossing (ABC-2018) Season One Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Apr 3, 2018 #1 of 92
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    The Crossing premiered last night, Monday April 2, on ABC. From wiki:

Refugees fleeing a war start showing up to seek asylum in an American town—but the refugees claim to be from America, 180 years in the future. Moreover, at least one of the refugees exhibits apparently superhuman powers that make her a threat.

I enjoyed it. Felt like they were going with a LOST vibe--overarching mystery, give you enough to keep you hooked, but clearly not enough to answer anything. You know, the "one question answered, two more asked" syndrome. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Plenty of characters with dubious motives--are they good people, bad people, even people at all? Apex!

It airs Monday on ABC. I think there are only 8-10 episodes, but can't confirm.

aaronwt and Alcy like this.
  2. Apr 3, 2018 #2 of 92
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Here's a deeper synopsis from ABC:

(from ABC's press release, January 2018) Jude Ellis (Steve Zahn) is the sheriff of Port Canaan, a small fishing town, whose plans for a quiet life change instantly when refugees from a war-torn country wash up on his beach seeking asylum, only the country these people are from is America - and the war they are fleeing hasn't happened yet. As the Feds set out to uncover the truth behind the mysterious migration, Jude will launch an investigation of his own with the help of his loyal sheriff's deputy, Nestor Rosario (Rick Gomez).

Reece (Natalie Martinez) is a refugee but she's different. She's an "Apex," a member of a genetically engineered human population. Her only goal once she arrives in town is to find her daughter, Leah (Bailey Skodje), from whom she is separated during the Crossing. Leading the investigation for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is Emma Ren (Sandrine Holt), whose pursuit of the truth is complicated by the fact that her boss, DHS Undersecretary Craig Lindauer (Jay Karnes), seems to know a lot more about the migration than he's telling her. Emma's second-in-command is Bryce Foster (Luc Roderique), an empathetic agent who comes to find himself in over his head. Another vital member of the government team is Dr. Sophie Forbin (Georgina Haig), who has her own personal reasons for researching the Apex phenomenon and what it could mean to the future of science. Caleb (Marcuis W. Harris) and his wife, Rebecca (Simone Kessell), Hannah (Kelley Missal) and Paul (Rob Campbell) are all survivors from the crossing who come bearing dark secrets and a desperate pursuit for a better life.

"The Crossing" stars Steve Zahn as Jude Ellis, Natalie Martinez as Reece, Sandrine Holt as Emma Ren, Georgina Haig as Dr. Sophie Forbin, Tommy Bastow as Marshall, Rob Campbell as Paul, Rick Gomez as Nestor Rosario, Marcuis W. Harris as Caleb, Grant Harvey as Roy Aronson, Jay Karnes as Craig Lindauer, Simone Kessell as Rebecca, Kelley Missal as Hannah, Luc Roderique as Bryce Foster and Bailey Skodje as Leah.

aaronwt likes this.
  3. Apr 3, 2018 #3 of 92
    getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I like this one so far, and really hope it doesn't turn into another "Under the Dome" FUBAR scenario.

aaronwt likes this.
  4. Apr 3, 2018 #4 of 92
    Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Hopefully ABC doesn't give this show the FlashForward treatment.

aaronwt likes this.
  5. Apr 3, 2018 #5 of 92
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    "Dutch Boy" :)

6. Apr 3, 2018 #6 of 92
    rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Reminded me a lot of The 4400 and The Returned.

So I'm in. :)

aaronwt likes this.
  7. Apr 3, 2018 #7 of 92
    stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I liked it--hope it goes somewhere. It seems weird that it's 180 years into the future--I would think 50-80 years ahead would be better. Other than super powers, we don't seem to have evolved too much. ;)

8. Apr 4, 2018 #8 of 92
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I really liked it - which means it will probably suck by the end.
    I laugh every time they say it's from the producers of LOST - I wouldn't consider that a good thing.

9. Apr 4, 2018 #9 of 92
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I liked it. But like everyone else, I fear that it will devolve into a convoluted pile of junk, like a lot of Lost wannabes have.

10. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    The ABC Promo's are saying "from the network that brought you Lost", but it feels like "Under the Dome". But, so far I like it.

11. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I get a kick out of you guys. "I liked it, but it may go bad.....". How about if we like it (and my wife and I definitely do!!), let's just see where it goes. We can always complain later - when there's a reason to complain - if necessary (but hopefully not :) ).

12. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    We say that because a lot of us have been burned by great pilots of serialized stories that have quickly gone off the rails, especially on the OTA networks. Fast Forward, Under The Dome have been mentioned. There were others that I can't remember over the years. Some would even say Lost fits that category (but for me at least it didn't go off the rails until the last season).

But yeah, we all have hope that this series will be an exception and that's why we watch.

Alcy likes this.
  13. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I get it Steve, I just get a kick out of it :)

14. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I understand how people feel about this issue. Sometimes I think I'm Charlie Brown, always coming back to kick the football again, only to have Lucy play Flash Forward or Extant on me. And yet I keep coming back...

Personally, I don't put LOST anywhere near this category of shows. But Under The Dome, Flash Forward, Extant, Revolution and so many more... all started interesting and turned into Hack TV.

But that doesn't temper my enjoyment of a show like this. I watch as long as it's good. Hopefully, that's more than an episode or two. :D

aaronwt and ADG like this.
  15. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    I always like to pass along this essay from a LOST writer (only the first two seasons):
    Finding the Next LOST
    in which he taps into why too many sci-fi shows start with the gimmick and fail to sustain their stories.

I've recorded the first ep of "The Crossing" and might get around to watching it this weekend, but i'm already warning myself not to get sucked in. I enjoyed the first season of almost every other show mentioned in this thread, and then regretted staying with them into their second years. Oh well, once more into the breach.

16. JMikeD

JMikeD Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Austin, TX
    When the Undersecretary showed up at the end of the episode I just sighed and deleted the Season Pass. They went with The All Too Obvious and Boring. IMHO, of course.

17. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I don't disagree. It gets really irritating when there's a conspiracy already in place before anything happens. And it just happens to be... that one key person. Unless done well, it's a turnoff.

I'm sticking with it for now, I think it's an interesting story. We'll see...

18. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    "From the Network that brought you Lost"

As far as I can tell, no one involved with this show had anything to do with Lost. Not one of the producers, directors, or writers on The Crossing have a single episode of Lost on any of their credits on IMDB.

19. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I sighed too - not to mention that actor is one of my least favorite, his appearance in a show can ruin the show for me (there are a couple of actors who do that) - but I was liking up to that point, so I'm going to keep watching to see where it goes.

20. Martha

Martha Member

Oct 6, 2002
    South Carolina
    I enjoyed the first episode, but had to laugh at the casting of that little girl....she looks a whole lot like Steve Zahn and not a bit like her Latino mother. But I guess they can blame that on the genetic engineering.