1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Cool Kids

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Tony_T, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Gave it a try because its produced by Charlie Day and has Artemis (IASIP) and Martin Mull.
    Old people in a retirement home. Typical sitcom. OK, but don't think I'll stick with it.

wprager likes this.
  2. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I just finished it and LOVED it. What a pleasure to see accomplished seasoned actors doing what they do best. The entire cast is great - and for a change - it's a sitcom that is actually funny. Not to mention - I could turn off the closed captioning for a change cos I could understand what they were all saying.

Maybe I am nostalgic - it feels like a very well done throwback to sitcoms of yesteryear.

In addition to Martin Mull - David Alan Grier, Vicki Lawrence and Leslie Jordan - with a guest appearance by Jamie Farr - the cast is awesome.

I hope it keeps it up and does well.

3. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I plan to watch the episode later today.

I absolutely adore all four of these main actors and there's no way it can't be fun.

4. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I like it. Hope they have 'old geezer guest stars" all the time like Jamie Farr.

Jon J likes this.
  5. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I thought it was OK, nothing special stood out. I'm passing on the season, nothing hooked me.

6. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Jamie Farr?? When? How did I miss that?

7. 59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    He was the resident who tried to bid for Jerry’s seat, and I think he’s the one whose car they stole.

Jon J and LlamaLarry like this.
  8. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Thanks. I went back and re-watched that scene. Wasn't paying attention the first time.

9. Oct 1, 2018 #9 of 31
    hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    I liked it, too, and agree, would be fun if they keep having guest stars that I recognize even if I can't remember their names right away. I knew right away he was "Klinger" and then "Jamie" came to me, but didn't get his last name until the closing credits.:D

10. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I was not disappointed. I enjoyed the first episode. I already liked all these actors, though, so I would have been shocked if I wasn't entertained by them.

Love the idea of having other well-known actors in their age group do guest bits on the show. I hope they keep that up.

11. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I thought it was terrible, dumb and unfunny. I have no issues with the actors. They are all good. but the script was just not very good. One and done for me.

betts4, innocentfreak and mattack like this.
  12. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    This was a really, really good pilot. I’m way behind trying new broadcast shows but this is the only one I give a thumbs up to so far vs. three thumbs downs (I Feel Bad, Rel, and God Friended Me).

13. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    It was okay. The actors are much better than the material so far, but pilots are hard to judge. Most of the story was formulaic old-people jokes ("I can drive, but can't see out the windshield"), but the cast is so strong they (kinda, almost) sold it. It's hard for me to see how this can turn into an ongoing sitcom with fresh stories & writing, but I'll give it a chance.

At least I made it thru the pilot. You know a sitcom stinks when five minutes in, you delete it, wondering "who the heck okay-ed this?". (Looking at you "Single Parents" and "I Feel Bad"). This one earned a second episode. And I hope they can pull it off, as they've put together a strong ensemble.

14. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Active Member

Apr 30, 2003
    I'll be back for the next episode at least, but man the laugh track just seemed like it was booming to me.

15. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wow, that's quite a range of opinions. I thought it was "ok"... and even that was mostly because of me liking some of the actors. Don't get me wrong, I admit I willingly watch some terrible shows.

I will keep watching, at least a couple more. I probably actually enjoyed "I Feel Bad" on NBC a little bit more, but even that one is likely to fall off my list soon.. But again, mostly just because of the actors..

Didn't check ages, not sure if they're all really in the right range?

16. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I meant to record but forgot. When I first saw promo wondered why no Jerry Van Dyke or Tim Conway, then days later there was a article on Conway's daughter fighting for control over the care of father, (has dementia) when looking into that links to Van Dyke came up reminding me he died in January.

17. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    This was horrible. I barely made it through the first episode, but 5 minutes into the second I quickly deleted my OnePass. I try to give new shows 3 episodes, but this wasn't worth it at all.

18. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I enjoyed the second episode as much as the first.

19. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    It was ok, but the jokes are so cliched. Almost every funny line can be seen a mile away. Either "old people jokes", or "old people acting young" jokes. They really need to upgrade the writing, or this show is doomed. May already be dead show walking.

20. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Nah, with it’s ratings it’s very safe. What sets it apart beyond the silliness is the characters have heart. Even if they take jabs at one another, at the end of the day they depend on and care about each other.

It’s ABC that’s in panic mode trying to think of a way to back out of the TGIF revival without losing too much face.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018