The constant, never-ending issue with "First Run Only" recording

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by JulienPDX77, Feb 8, 2012.

1. JulienPDX77

JulienPDX77 New Member

Jan 13, 2012
    I reported this issue like 4 years ago when I first had a TiVo and I see its STILL a problem. I am thinking that with a monthly fee; its more than fair for me to ***** that I should not STILL be missing recordings just because whatever "flag" needs to be in the guide to tell the system that a program is "first run" or "new" isn't there. The system they use to check the guide quality data still needs improvements; if such a system exists. I think the monthly fee (at least from a customer perspective) isn't justified if the guide is inaccurate.

I've missed "Glee" 5 times this season because the first episode to air after each brief hiatus in the season isn't listed in the guide as "new" or "first run" even though it is.

"Absolutely Fabulous" is currently on its 6th series but the shows air very irregularly . They aren't showing as "new" in the guide and I'm guessing its because they air on BBC in the UK and then 2 weeks later they air on BBCAmerica but by this point; they are already considered re-runs; even though to the American market; they are not.

I have often wondered if I've also historically had this problem because I'm on the west coast and networks still treat each time zone as a different market.

Anyway

I can kind of"fix" this issue by selecting "First Runs & Repeats" in my SeasonPass Manager and ToDo Lists but this is not a real fix as frequently programs I enjoy; such as "Chopped" are run IN MARATHONS on their respective networks sometimes on a crazy whim and this still can lead to lost programs or a lot of extra hassle sorting through unwanted recordings; this also would fill up my drive before I recently upgraded it.

Either way; what is a good strategy to go about getting this resolved?

2. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    One work-around would be to create a Wishlist using something like "Chopped" and "2012". This won't be a complete solution if there are multiple seasons in the same year, but it could help somewhat.

3. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Unless this has changed, and I'm sure it hasn't, the only time the year can be used in a WL is for movies.

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    There is no such flag. I think there was ONE episode this season where the episode was preempted very late one week and aired the next week, and thus needed the user to manually record.

Tivos use Original Air Date as what to determine whether it's new or a rerun. If that info is missing (e.g. "generic description" type shows), it records them, in case it is new. (Many of us have said for a decade or more that we would like to be able to optionally turn this part off..)

Basically, I'm not calling you a liar, but I suspect that at least in some of those instances, there were OTHER reasons (perhaps including different Tivo bugs) that it didn't record.. Are there SPs ABOVE your Glee one?

5. JulienPDX77

JulienPDX77 New Member

Jan 13, 2012
    Hey mattack

NO offense taken of course; we're all friends here :)

Glee was missed 3 times; not 5--sorry wasn't trying to be literal. It's been irritating because Amazon charges 3.00 per HD episode of anything. (Why they dont have the 99 cent "rentals" that Apple TV has is beyond me); I've also not figured out how to permanently have that episode be availble to my TiVo if I say; delete it and decide I want it back.

Chopped has been a real problem because for whatever reason, in my market-- Food Network keeps running like 20 episode-marathons on their HD station (which I dont see them doing on their SD feed; so not sure why they have to be different) And with the "keep 5" or even "keep 10 rule"; it never fails to record repeats

One idea I've had is that the TiVo use some sort of Analytics program to keep track of how often a show has aired or whatever. Right now, the tivo uses a 2-week "memory" to do this but I suggest it be expanded to a year rather than 2 weeks. Say; if I've recorded something already then keep tabs on it and dont let it show up (esp. if I put "First Run only") in My Shows again unless it's not see that specific episode title, etc in a year.

Either way, its still fuzzy where the "fault" lies--is it the content provider or is it the guide people?

6. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    Can you check the recording history to see why it says any of the episodes weren't recorded?

7. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    You might be right - I've only used this when searching for movies.

8. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    This is an annoyance with how Tivos work with Amazon. If you own content and want it downloaded to your Tivo, you can go to your library on Amazon.com and send it to your Tivo by clicking on it and the clicking on "Download". Your Tivo should be in the list of devices. I have done this and it does work, but it stinks that it can't be done from the Tivo.