"The Colbert Report" 10/17/05 premiere

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tony touch, Oct 17, 2005.

1. tony touch

tony touch Nice and Smooth

Jul 16, 2004
    Atlanta
    I love the Daily Show so I definitely plan on checking this out. I wonder how much of a copy of DS it will be- from the description, it sounds like it will be fairly similar. (11:30 pm ET on Comedy central)

2. Mike Farrington

Mike Farrington Lost Member

Nov 16, 2000
    I'm looking forward to it. In an Entertainment Weekly piece, Jon Stewart said that it was essentially like having Stephen do a 30 segment. I remember when Colbert filled in for Jon one day, I think when Jon's son was born, and he wasn't very good at interviewing people. His whole DS persona is being "fake", so I don't think doing serious interviews is really for him.

BTW, the second table of contents page in the current EW has an awesome (read: funny) picture of him.

I'm going to miss him on the DS. Even though they're in the same studio, I assume that doing a 30 minute show would take up all of his time. I hope "This Week In God" survives, that's one of my favorite segments. I've seen Cordry do it, but I think Helms might be better at it.

3. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    Thanks for the heads up. I had forgotten to setup the SP previously, all set now.

:)

4. SparkleMotion

SparkleMotion New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Alive at...
    In the latest EW, he insists it's going to mostly be a direct parody of Bill O'Reilly, who, IMO, is ripe for the needling.

Remember, "it's French, *****!" :)

5. mrpantstm

mrpantstm Well aren't you

Jan 25, 2005
    Fredericksbu...
    I've set it to record tonights episode. we'll see if he can make it on his own (I think he can).

6. wingerzzz

wingerzzz Football is Good

Jul 19, 2005
    Saint...
    I am rooting for him. I would love for him just to stay on the DS, but he is too talented for that. Best he move on to this than a crappy sitcom.

I also read that this will be more straight parody and will have more fluff news than the DS. I think it might be like the DS but with Jimmie Glick hosting in terms of him staying in character and giving his guest a hard time. It appears his guests are their to debate "issues" then just an informal interview.

7. northmoor

northmoor New Member

Feb 9, 2005
    I'm looking forward to checking this one out, too. I always like seeing a parody of Bill MacArthy or, I mean, O'Reilly.

8. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Cool, I'll check it out.

9. xultar

xultar New Member

Jun 15, 2005
    rofl!!!!!!

10. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Personally I think Ed Helms is much better, and even prefer Coordery over Colbear, but I'll be watching!

11. Mike Farrington

Mike Farrington Lost Member

Nov 16, 2000
    I can usually forgive several misspellings in a post, especially when it comes to names. But your signature???

12. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Yes I don't bother to spell the names correctly, I could have checked but I assumed you know who i'm talking about.

But about the signature...

WOW! It's obviously a typo, and not a misspelling, and you win the award for noticing because it's been like that for years!

13. tem

tem Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2003
    I thought the premier was hilarious. Tons of LOL moments. Colbert does his Daily Show schtick but also had some nice adlibbing in the interview segment. The headline reading gravitas showdown was great as well.

"We invited Mother Theresa to respond to these charges"

Definitely keeping the SP.

:up:

14. bentleyml

bentleyml Unregistered User

May 21, 2003
    Moore...
    It was wonderfully funny. I couldn't stop laughing.

15. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    I was pleasantly surprised. I figured he didn't have enough talent in him to be more than a sidekick, and that this would be little more than an overly stretched out comedy sketch.

It seems I was wrong, and he seemed more than capable of carrying the show on his own. His talents were probably being wasted as a Daily Show sidekick. He did spend a bit too much time on the whole 'don't believe in words/books' bit, but beyond that, it was really quite good.

Only time will tell if he can keep it up.

"uniting america with the vastness of space, in a beautiful but un..."

Bong! Are you done with this program? If you delete it now, there will be more room for programs to be recorded.

Oh comedy central, why can't you keep to your own schedule? I may never know how that line ends! If only their were reruns to catch. There are? The show airs 4 more times in the next 24 hours, and my tivo's going to record all of them, because they all have generic guide data? Oh comedy central...

-Ken

16. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    I enjoyed it alot, and it looked like Phillips was having alot of fun.

17. Michelle5150

Michelle5150 Still in Beta

Nov 16, 2004
    Seattle
    Huh.

We thought it smacked of first show jitters. It wasn't very good or funny at all. Especially considering all the good hype. We'll keep watching though hoping he's just nervous and will settle into the roll and move from under Jon's shadow after a few shows, but it was a rough start.

Certainly not going to give up on it though. I really want to like it, and I know it'll get better once the show finds it's own legs.

18. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Hilarious. Colbert is great with that whole phony gravitas thing.
    :up:

Oh, and it took me a second to realize the pompous pronunciation.

The "cole-bare" "re-pore"

19. tem

tem Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2003
    well, his last name is pronounced cole-bare, so it's only half pompous :D

and it was great for him to have Phillips on as his first guest. He's said for years that he's who he models his Fake News Persona after. SP was a good sport to come on and essentially make fun of himself for 15 minutes.

20. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Oh, I know... it's the "report" that took just a beat to realize what he was doing. I thought it was hilarious. That whole intro where he was pointing out everywhere it said Colbert on the set, right down to the "C" shape of the desk was great.