The Closer 7/11/2011 (S07E01) "Unknown Trouble"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dswallow, Jul 11, 2011.

1. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    They actually got me. I didn't see the stroke coming at all. This may make up for the (supposedly) predictable direction last season ended on.

2. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    I'm behind about a season, but I'm wondering-stroke for who?

I love this show, but I have not watched any of the shows in order. And thanks to someone forgetting to unplug my TiVo before vacation, I lost all the episodes I had stockpiled. I need to start all over.

3. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    The new police chief. If you missed last season, you wouldn't know him.

4. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    oops read this before watching last 15 minutes but it works for me. :)

5. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    Me neither. It seemed like he was about to apologize to Brenda before the stroke. I wonder if he finally realized that as police chief, his responsibility is to protect and insulate her from outside trouble so that she can do her job. I tend to doubt it, though. He seems completely self-serving. If he survives, I wonder if his attitude will be different.

6. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Yankee Fan

Jul 8, 2002
    Fresno, CA
    As soon as Taylor, with his box of stuff, came into Pope's office I figured something was going to happen.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I can understand where having a stroke and maybe dying would be preferable to apologizing to that smug, sanctimonious, self-absorbed witch. :D

It's been a little weird how this show (after the first season) has tried to downplay or slide by Brenda's bad qualities without actually getting rid of them...

8. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    If I were the victim of a crime, I'd want Brenda on the case. But I would never have her as a friend.

I'm glad the show is back and
    sad that it's the final season.

9. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    Yeah, she's not a nice person to be around. But she is very good at her job. Kind of like House.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I just wish they had continued to really deal with that. Everybody should hate her guts (like they did in the first season), but I guess it's easier to write her as the eccentric that annoys everybody but they still love her.

It blows my mind that Fritz doesn't just drink himself into a stupor, on a regular basis.

11. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I agree. I thought the character was going to get more likable but she is not even nice to Fritz most of the time.

12. HDRyder9

HDRyder9 Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Wouldn't it be great if Pope poisoned the chief?

13. MegaHertz67

MegaHertz67 Registered Smart Ass

Apr 18, 2005
    Miami
    They all hated her at first because she came in from the outside and had a distinctly different style than they were used to. She was there because of Pope and she was under his protection the first season. The squad was put together as a bunch of detectives that really weren't wanted by anybody else...they were the island of misfit toys. But now they have worked together, and worked well, and so they can see past her annoying idiosyncrasies and just see a good cop.

Her job as a leader of the squad is to give them direction, guide and teach them how to do their jobs better, and be an umbrella that shields her squad from the s#!tstorms that's are always raining down on them because of how high profile their cases tend to be. They portray her as effective in all three, so they grew to like her. And they know she is relentless about solving the cases, so they respect her commitment.

The plot about the lawsuit is going to address her tactics and will be a thread they pick at the entire season. So you will get to see all of her faults and weaknesses on display and you will see who really likes and supports her and who was just playing along.

But I can't imagine ever wanting to be around her socially, let alone be in a relationship with her.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Which would be good, if that's how they played it. But they didn't. The transformation from everybody hating her to everybody respecting her and going to the wall for her was virtually instantaneous, as in, over the course of about an episode. With no change on her part whatsoever. It almost felt like the network gave them an ultimatum...do this, and do it NOW. And ever since then she's been the same highly unlikable person she was in the first season, but now everybody just gives her a pass.

I admired them at the beginning for having an unlikable lead; that gave them the opportunity to do things you don't often see on TV, where people either get along or don't get along but in cute ways. And it always bugged me not only that they gave up on that, but that they gave up on that in such a cheap way with no dramatic payoff.

As for wanting to be in a relationship with her, obviously Fritz does. For no discernible reason. Which is another blown dramatic opportunity...what's wrong with the guy? But they've never gotten into that. Clearly he has major mental health issues if he's willing to endure her, but they don't seem to get that.

15. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    I thought Jonesey (reference to Hunt for Red October) was about to announce he had changed his mind about demoting Pope and promoting the Commander when he went down. Now, since the proposed changes are not official, I assume everything stays the same.

16. Mikeyis4dcats

Mikeyis4dcats Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2003
    I hope Pope stays around....I like the actor.

17. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    Me too, and I especially like him in this show.

18. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    When I used to see Schillinger whenever Pope was on screen now I just hum to myself "we are farmers bom bom bom bom bom bom bom" (yeah yeah commercials tivo blah blah blah)

Glad the Closer is back. One of my favorite shows.

19. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...

It wasn't just a sudden switch. As I recall (and my memory might be faultyO Brenda provd to her team that she had their backs when some crap came down on them and she protected them and did not let anything get in the way of their doing the job.

Flynn and Provenza and were the last hold out to come over to her side. It was a gradual happening over the course of a season.

20. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    One of us isn't remembering it right. It was, in my memory, EXTREMELY sudden, at the end of the first season. And that was what I thought at the time...