The Class - OAD 10/02/2006 S01E03 - *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by modnar, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Oct 2, 2006 #1 of 17
    modnar

modnar Active Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Arkansas, USA

Advertisements

I thought this episode was better than last week's. There were several humorous moments. The only parts I didn't really like were the hurricane reporting. Those parts were just was too corny I guess, and I'm not sure what purpose they served, other than possibly a small amount of character development.

2. Oct 2, 2006 #2 of 17
    coolpenguin

coolpenguin New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Glen Burnie, MD
    This is definately a feel good, guilty pleasure for me. It's so corny, yet so fun. I thought the news anchor getting slammed by the Stop Sign was PRICELESS.

3. Oct 2, 2006 #3 of 17
    Todd

Todd Gee thanks Jeremy...

Oct 7, 1999
    Coastal...
    I just starting watching this too. It's pretty funny!

:up:

4. Oct 2, 2006 #4 of 17
    markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    The show is definitely getting better. I am glad they have moved away from the fact they all went to school together. That was a dumb premise.

5. Oct 2, 2006 #5 of 17
    mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas

Advertisements

Yeah it was all worth it for the stop sign!!! I kept this episode for that and well Lizzy Caplan in her underwear. :D

6. Oct 2, 2006 #6 of 17
    markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...

Mmmmm........+1!

7. Oct 3, 2006 #7 of 17
    cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    After the pilot, I thought they'd all be hanging out together by now. Glad that hasn't happened, yet.

8. Oct 3, 2006 #8 of 17
    katbug

katbug Tivo Junkie

Oct 2, 2003
    N. AZ
    All right, I admit it...I'm still watching. I thought that I'd cancelled my SP after the first episode, but ended up with the second, now the 3rd and am enjoying it more as it goes on. I think it's definitely getting better with time. The only problem I had with this ep is that the guys didn't have a tivo peanut remote to replay the stop sign in slo-mo. They did somehow have it as I'm guessing was a DVR, but was hoping to see the peanut come out. Oh well, still pretty funny!

9. Oct 3, 2006 #9 of 17
    mitkraft

mitkraft Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Texas
    I don't watch this show normally, but caught the last bit of it. I'm going to have to disagree with you on the hurricane thing. I found it rather poingiant. Any of us who live down here in hurricane alley can attest to the idiocy of news stations and reporters during things like hurricanes. My wife and I are constantly commenting on and amused by all those idiot reporters who go right into all the places where everyone else has evacuated for good reason. They always show them hip deep in flood water or blowing in the wind like that girl was and my wife and I just look at each other and say "Why?". It was nice to see a show poking fun of that and acknowlegding the insanity of the whole thing.

Oh, and the stop sign was freaking hillarious!

10. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I'm liking this show. "Cinch sack," indeed! I'm keeping the SP for now.

11. CharlieW

CharlieW Go to the mall.

May 30, 2001
    Jersey Shore
    I'm not here to threadcrap -- but after watching the first two episodes (which I thought were dreadful), I was ready to bail on this show. Last night's was marginally better -- so I'll probably be back for Episode 4.

The one thing that really irks me though is the weekly shilling for spam-masters, Classmates.com.

They seemingly took a bit of the edge off of Lizzy Caplan's character this week and made her more likeable -- she really got on my nerves the first two episodes. The scenes with the contractor-guy and his old girlfriend have already become tedious.

The STOP sign gag was pretty funny though.

12. cpalma

cpalma New Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Massachusetts
    My husband cracked up often during this episode. Me, not so much. It's cute and I'll continue to watch.

Hubby was laughing hysterically when the reporter got hit by the stop sign, so much so, that he said, "I have to see that again". We rewound and watched it again. Next scene, the characters watching the broadcast, did the same thing. That was funny to me. :D

13. modnar

modnar Active Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Arkansas, USA
    I see your point, but I've seen numerous comedians making fun of hurricane reporting already, so that joke is getting a little tiring.

14. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Good episode.

I like how they are entwining the lives slowly and not necessarily all into one group. Feels more real that way.

15. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    This show is getting a lot better. I thought last night's ep was a big improvement and I am planning on keeping my SP for a while. I did LOL a couple times.

I thought the stop sign thing was hilarious. I find the weathergirl actress irritating, and I find her "gay husband" to be incredibly, incredibly annoying and stupid, so I was really glad they found a way to use her character without reviving that schtick or giving him any screen time. Hopefully that will continue.

16. Mikeyis4dcats

Mikeyis4dcats Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2003
    getting better, but the main character still sucks. He apparently hasn't gotten a haircut since the 80s, and he seems to worship Skippy from Family Ties.

the twins are cute, so I'm hanging in there. I also find the dryness of the pill-popper funny.

17. hearth

hearth New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Fair Oaks, CA
    My guess as to where they are going with that subplot is that they are going to have the hunky boyfriend run off with the not-yet-gay husband, thus pushing the 2 former classmates closer together. Since it doesn't appear that they are rushing that plot, they need to keep feeding the connection between these 2 characters, and this is the way that they chose to do it in this episode.

It's unusual that they have the characters broken up into 3 or 4 different sub-plots and really not interacting in a bigger group, like Friends use to do. However, they do seem to be coupling up (or moving towards coupling up) the 4 sets of guys and girls.