The China Syndrome on Encore

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by RGM1138, Sep 17, 2011.

1. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I just watched this again. It still has a great impact. And Jack Lemmon and Jane Fonda were in the prime of their acting careers.

I don't know about the nuclear stuff but they got the behind the scenes broadcasting parts pretty much spot on for its time.

Love this movie.

2. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I've never seen it. Gonna add it to my todo list and check it out.

3. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    You won't regret it. It may seem somewhat dated, watching it now. But I clearly remember when the wife and I watched it right after it had been released and walking out of the theater with our jaws on the ground. An amazing movie....

4. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    "Could take out an area equal to the size of Pennsylvania," and it was made before Three Mile Island, which was kind enough to happen while The China Syndrome was in theaters.

5. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Love this movie -- seen it a bunch of times.

6. RMBittner

RMBittner Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Charlotte,...
    I just watched this, since I remembered liking it when it first came out -- and I hadn't seen it since its original theatrical run.

It came out in 1978, and I would have been about 16. I remember being really disappointed that
    there was a lot of talk, but no actual nuclear disaster. :rolleyes:

I didn't feel quite that way this time -- there is sufficient drama -- but it does feel somewhat dated in terms of the directing and screenplay. For me, it just doesn't quite all come together. And how many times have we seen someone with important information
    have their car pushed off the road and the information stolen?

For me, it's a 2½-3-star movie. (Out of four stars, where 2½ is the minimum "worth seeing" recommendation.)

And, yeah, I think the 3-Mile Island disaster made this movie the success it was. I'm not sure it would have achieved that on its own merits.

Bob

7. jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002
    Love love love Jane Fonda.
    Great great role for her.