The Carol Burnett Show special was pretty good...

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mattack, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Dec 4, 2017 #1 of 17
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale

Advertisements

I thought the Carol Burnett 50th Anniversary special was very well done. A bit too much talking head from current comedic actors (but I just watched that part on QuickPlay mode)...

While it DID have the same skits I'd seen a million times (dentist, gone with the wind parody, and the one that still cracks me up, the elephant skit -- I did NOT remember hearing about Carol's comeuppance, which they showed too)... it ALSO had a bunch of segments I have not seen a million times.

I think it's kind of a shame that Neil Patrick Harris' variety show wasn't a success (but I admit I still have a couple of them on my Tivo!).. especially now with FF-ing, skipping something boring is easier, so you'd think a variety show could have something for everyone..

Though I guess Jimmy Fallon's Tonight Show comes close to that too, with the game show bits and weird other segments (I FF through the vast vast majority of it).

2. Dec 4, 2017 #2 of 17
    TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I didn't realize it ended in 78. I would of been 17 at the time.
    And I went to many tapings over the years, and they had a 16 year old age limit.
    Mom always said just look older. Was probably 13 1st time I saw it.

3. Dec 5, 2017 #3 of 17
    That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    One thing was missing: "The Trolley Song"

IIRC, what happened was, there was a musicians' strike during one season, so somebody came up with the idea of having Carol lip-sync to an existing recording of her singing "The Trolley Song" (from the movie Meet Me in St. Louis), only for whoever was doing the playback to speed up and slow down the tape.

At least, I think it was on her show, and not when she was on The Garry Moore Show.

Meanwhile...according to the Emmys database, Bob Mackie has eight Emmys for costume design (although some are shared)...but only one (non-winning) nomination for The Carol Burnett Show, and that was back when costumes were part of a single "Creative Technical Crafts" category. He does have a number of nominations in the 1970s for Cher's series. His wins do include Carol & Company and Mama's Family.

4. Dec 5, 2017 #4 of 17
    lambertman

lambertman I am not Bertman

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    There's also currently a "Carol Burnett's Favorite Sketches" special airing on PBS if you want more.

5. Dec 5, 2017 #5 of 17
    MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004

Advertisements

I was actually very dissatisfied with this show. Way to much of the new people talking. I would have much rather had a lot more of my favorite skits, and let them play out a bit. Everything from the actual comedy series seemed rushed and clipped, while the talking heads was, for the most part, boring.

They should have taken a cue from the Carson retrospectives, short brief intros into clips that were allowed to play out.

6. Dec 5, 2017 #6 of 17
    paracelsus

paracelsus Member

Jun 23, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    I did love this show and seeing the clips again! I'm hoping some channel will go ahead and play this series again so my Tivo can pick up on it - I do have a recording Wishlist established on her name. Carol Burnett is coming to my town for a show in June but the tickets are expensive ($100-1000) and few in number, so unsure if I can see it.

7. Dec 5, 2017 #7 of 17
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I watched last night. I agree with others that there were some guests there that didn't make sense, nor did they have any discernible contribution. Other than that, I did enjoy the show and it was fun seeing skits from the show, many of which I remember. Of course, the Tim Conway stuff was a crack-up. I loved seeing the cast 'break' when he went off the rails with a bit.

Carol Burnett is such a treasure. She has had her hardships in life.

8. Dec 5, 2017 #8 of 17
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I have yet to watch but it was one of favorites when I was a kid.

The mama sketch was pretty dark for its time.

9. Dec 5, 2017 #9 of 17
    Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    Carol Burnett is from here in San Antonio, and I believe she still has a home around here somewhere.

10. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Thank ye gods for the FF button. Skipped thru all the blather and just watched the sketches. That was fun, but I agree I wish they'd shown some of the complete sketches.

11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I'm pretty sure one of the 'rerun channels' does air it. I *think* in half hour cut down versions.. At least I think I've seen suggestions record it once in a while. But remember, basically any old show like this is cut to shreds for syndication -- you're not seeing the entire show.

Looks like there are various collections on DVD/BluRay, but not an entire series collection or entire seasons..

12. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    Like you I zipped through most of the chat and concentrated on the skits with Tim Conway and Harvey Korman.

13. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    The show was released in half-hour syndication under the title Carol Burnett and Friends. You may be getting episodes of that. You can probably get two episodes out of each original hour without any major cuts if you remove the openings (where she talks to the audience) and the musical numbers (which they may have to remove for rights reasons).

14. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I remember watching this show, but I would have only been 4 in 1978. Was the show shown in syndication a lot? Wondering if that is how I saw it.

15. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Ran for years on syndication. I remember watching it all the time as a kid and that would have been syndication.

16. Michael S

Michael S Member

Jan 12, 2004
    That is the version that MeTV shows weeknights.

17. Blaq

Blaq New Member

Aug 5, 2003
    Toronto, ON...
    GUESS WHAT I FOUND ON YOUTUBE?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019