The Car Show on Speed Channel

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by balboa dave, Jul 12, 2011.

1. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    Finally, a show that looks like it can give Top Gear a run for its money. It stars Adam Carolla and Dan Neil, who were both considered, then dropped, for the first US version of Top Gear, Matt Farah of The Smoking Tire website, and the ubiquitous John Salley. Starts Wednesday, 7/13.

2. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    DVR set. I'll give it a try.

3. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'll definitely be watching.

Just an FYI: Carolla wasn't dropped from the US version of Top Gear. He made the pilot for NBC and it wasn't picked up. Then he was under contract with either NBC or CBS to make a sitcom pilot when History picked up the US version. History wanted Carolla but he wasn't available. They hired Adam Ferrara as the host in his place. Then, as fate would have it, Carolla's sitcom wasn't picked up and he would have been available. Oh well, hopefully this new show will be better, and won't be burdened by comparisons to the UK version of Top Gear.

4. RichardHead

RichardHead Musical Klutz

Nov 16, 2003
    Hollywood,...
    I'm not a fan of Matt Farah.I used to watch his web show, mostly insider auto stuff and him driving cars in mediocre productions. Didn't think he was funny or erudite. No idea why John Salle is in this show except for diversity.

I hope TG:America has replaced Adam Ferrara (not funny or anything else) and Tanner Faust (great driver but a wooden block as a TV presenter).

Just my unneeded two cents!

5. stujac

stujac Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Thanks Balboa Dave-sp done. Let's hope it's not one of these that repeat endlessly.

6. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I think there will be something like 7-9 episodes in this initial season. I read somewhere that the studio portions of the tapings were just held within the last few days and they did several episodes per day for two days. Hopefully the ratings are good enough that they'll be back for more after this initial run.

7. billboard_NE

billboard_NE North Shore MA

May 18, 2005
    I read that it will be a 13 episode season. I am an Adam Carolla fan, I listen to his pod-casts. Hope this show does well.

8. Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003
    As I see it? Top Gear and the Car Show are the same show. One with lackluster hosts and a big production budget, the other well hosted but shot on the cheap. I think it does prove Adam Carolla's point that Top Gear would have been far better off with him as host. I also can't fathom why John Salley is on the show. He adds nothing, just like the hosts of the US Top Gear. Maybe he should join that show? Give this show the budget of Top Gear, and it would crush it!

9. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Loved it, thanks to Carolla. He could hold his own even with the Brit Top Gear crew.

10. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I like the format of Top Gear much better... but yeah, the hosts on this show were miles better than those of TGUSA. So much more comfortable on camera, so much more charismatic, and already they have more camaraderie than the TGUSA guys do.

11. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Adam's glasses were really distracting. If he needs those to read the cue cards, he should get contacts or LASIK.

Agreed about Salley. He knows nothing about cars and will add nothing to this show.

12. Waldorf

Waldorf Super Duper Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    John Salley thinks Adam is hilarious so there's that. Also, he was on the Fast Cars and Superstars reality show but was eliminated after being blown out of the water by Jewel.

I think he's also done the Toyota CelebrityLong Beach race a few times, so he's certainly enthusiastic about motorsports. I imagine we'll see some Salley-hosted segments in future episodes.

13. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    Well, at least they were honest about picking a slow airplane.

A Cherokee 140 will only go 110 Knots (126 MPH) flat-out. On top of that, it had STOL wingtips, which slow it down a bit.

--Carlos V.

14. Tobashadow

Tobashadow Read over there --->

Nov 11, 2006
    I got all the way through the SportsCenter parts and changed channels when the Jeopardy parts got going.

Top Gear UK makes this look like low budget local television.

15. Waldorf

Waldorf Super Duper Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    They missed a great opportunity there to fully parody the Top Gear Eurofighter Typhoon vs Veyron segment. :)

16. billboard_NE

May 18, 2005
    Go re-watch Top Gear UK season 1, episode 1, then comment.
    That show was a wreck when it first started. It is unfair to compare a show that is on its 17th season to a pilot episode of another show.

17. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Season 1 of the show as a whole (1977), or season 1 of the "relaunch" (2002)?

18. billboard_NE

May 18, 2005
    The re-launch in 2002 with Ed China and some other guy before James May.

19. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Didn't come into it's stride till May joined, IMHO.

That large guy they had in Series 1 (reboot), ick.

ETA, Jason Dawe?

phox

20. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Didnt know Ed China was a TG host.