The Boys (Amazon) - Season 1 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by robojerk, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Aug 2, 2019 #1 of 119
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I enjoyed it, wasn't great but it entertained me enough to be upset when the season ended on that big reveal (that was pretty obvious going in.)

2. Aug 2, 2019 #2 of 119
    Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Yeah, it was predictable.

There are a significant number of “B” actors in this series but I was a little surprised to see Elizabeth Shue killed off.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  3. Aug 2, 2019 #3 of 119
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Although she's probably the one they can least afford on a long-term basis!

The ending is VERY different from the way that situation played out in the comics...but I doubt even Amazon would want to do what the comic did (the baby killed its way out of the womb...which actually does a better job of explaining the intensity of Butcher's hatred of ALL supes).

4. Aug 2, 2019 #4 of 119
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Talking about babies, did Butcher just kill Shue's baby?

5. Aug 2, 2019 #5 of 119
    heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Seems likely. I was surprised, but happy, to find Starlight was one of the bulletproof group.

6. Aug 2, 2019 #6 of 119
    robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Yeah.. He straight up murdered a baby, unless Homelander saved it, but he loathed it.

7. Aug 2, 2019 #7 of 119
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    He saved Butcher because he wanted to take revenge on him.

I guess taking revenge on a baby just isn't that much fun...

8. Aug 3, 2019 #8 of 119
    MacThor

MacThor Not Pictured

Feb 7, 2002
    Richmond VA
    Do we believe Homelander that the sex with Becca was consensual?
    I think he probably saved the baby, too. Best way to save Butcher was to throw himself on Stillwell and absorb the blast. Of course he could have just shielded Butcher.

Were we supposed to read anything into the look of horror when Mesmer "read" Butcher? Or was it as simple as he saw that Butcher was about to kill him?

9. Aug 3, 2019 #9 of 119
    Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    The video of her exiting the room doesn’t indicate sex was consensual. Moreover, Butcher’s account of her sitting on that bench for four hours indicates a traumatic experience.

How can anyone refuse a guy who can easily kill you? It is no different from inmate saying “no” to a prison guard.

Homelander can’t die too soon for me.

uncdrew, super dave and jeetkunedo like this.
  10. Aug 3, 2019 #10 of 119
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I agree---she looked too disheveled. If it were consensual, she would have straightened her clothes, etc before leaving...

jeetkunedo likes this.
  11. Aug 4, 2019 #11 of 119
    wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    It was very clearly rape.

I like Homelander. A very interesting villain. I'll miss his very weird relationship with Shue.

I felt The Deep was mostly there for comic relief. Those two scenes (dolphin and lobster getting killed add he's trying to rescue them) felt oddly out of style with the test of the very adult content.

12. Aug 4, 2019 #12 of 119
    gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I'm hoping The Lamplighter comes out of retirement in season 2. He seems like he'd be a really cool superhero. :)

13. Aug 4, 2019 #13 of 119
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Finished the last 3 episodes last night... overall I really enjoyed the show. I do wish there had been SOME amount of season-ending closure but it seemed like everything was still up in the air so that was disappointing.

It didn't occur to me that Becca was pregnant until they admitted it. I figured she had complained to Vought about the rape (IMO it was intended to be rape) and they had gotten rid of her. Once they said she was pregnant it was clear that the baby hadn't really died in childbirth though.

Very interesting that it was Homelander who was distributing the V to terrorists around the globe. He was definitely a hard to pin down character.

I couldn't really understand why the supes didn't just quit and form their own company where they were in charge. I couldn't see any hold that Vought had on them, since they clearly don't have to be restocked with V on an ongoing basis. Sure, Vought is good at the marketing side but the supes are the jewels and there's no reason they couldn't have exerted more influence, or else started a rival company and hired equally talented people.

If this were to happen in real life, where the supes were the only thing standing between the U.S. and supe terrorists, I'm pretty sure that the government wouldn't simply let Vought continue to run the show. They'd take over in the name of national security, or maybe just draft the supes into the military so they were no longer employees of Vought. They're not technologies, they're U.S. citizens! I sort of thought that that would be one of the last episode actions, showing that Vought got too far out over their skiis and lost their assets.

I also wonder what will happen once the existence of V becomes more widely known: too many people know about it for it to be kept secret much longer. Once everyone knows that the supes were not chosen by God (or by genetics) but rather created I wonder how people will respond. They were created as babies so in that way it's still like genetics: not their choice.

uncdrew likes this.
  14. Aug 4, 2019 #14 of 119
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Oh, I also wonder how many of the seven know about V. Clearly Homelander knows since he was raised in the lab, and he told A-Train so he would help deliver the V. Starlight obviously didn't know before, so who else? Doubtful they would have told Deep. Translucent knew at least enough to point them to Popclaw and suggest there was some drug use involved IIRC. What about Maeve?

15. Aug 4, 2019 #15 of 119
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I thought this series was excellent. I can nitpick stuff like The Deep was a waste of tv electrons other than blackmailing Starlight to do what she did and Queen Maeve was really underused. But other than those two quibbles, it was very well done.

I thought Elizabeth Shue did a great job as Stillwell but I'm pretty sure that she can be replaced by another unscrupulous corporate bad guy from central casting.

I guess we'll find out in season 2 but I doubt that Homelander killed Stillwell's baby. I'd bet my farm and your farm that Homelander was the baby daddy. I have zero idea of what happened in the comic book series that I never heard of but my hypothesis is that he saved the baby because he figured out that he was the father or he finds out later that he killed his son and it drives him mad.

All in all, this was an excellent series.

16. Aug 7, 2019 #16 of 119
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    This is one of those instances where I LOVE that I knew absolutely NOTHING about what this show was about.

I turned on the first episode and thought - OH - a superhero show - great I'll watch.
    As it was slowly revealed that the super were the villains, I nearly fell off my chair - especially when Deep dropped his pants in the first episode.

I thought it was great - I binged the whole series in 2 days.

RickStrobel likes this.
  17. Aug 8, 2019 #17 of 119
    SWFan

SWFan Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2002
    Kansas...
    I enjoyed the show, looking forward to a season 2.

18. Aug 8, 2019 #18 of 119
    robojerk

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I think Homelander may have saved the baby too but not for anything good mind you. To experiment with the drug on the baby.

19. Aug 8, 2019 #19 of 119
    Test

Test Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2004
    That's what I thought the big season ending reveal would be, after the blast the baby is unharmed because he's just like his dad (Homelander).

Also, I'm not to sure about Butchers wife being raped. She came out of the room all disheveled sure, but nothing that hasn't been seen in a thousand tv shows where someone just left a room, closet, car or other location after getting busy. She also looked shocked because maybe it was her first time with a super and from the earlier super club scene they're willing and able to do things normal people can't in the sack. I can lean either way on this one.

20. Aug 9, 2019 #20 of 119
    hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    I enjoyed the season and look forward to season 2.

Every time Stillwell mentioned Edgar I wondered if we'd see him. I was happy that we finally saw Edgar in the last ep and I was thrilled when he was played by Giancarlo Esposito. Hopefully we'll get more of Edgar next season!