The Boondocks (The Itis)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by FireMen2003, Jan 23, 2006.

1. FireMen2003

FireMen2003 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Peachtree...

Advertisements

Great overall episode and I loved all the hidden messages that Aaron M. had in it.

:up: :up: :up:

Did you guys get the joke about the restaurant name? LMAO... :D

2. MitchO

MitchO Blasphemer: Uses DVR

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ
    Did anyone else get the feeling that this entire episode was based around the fact that bit about the movie Soul Food? It's like Aaron watched it and said "Hell, no .. "

3. FireMen2003

Apr 1, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Nope. The Lutha burger had a different meaning to it. The Soul Food part was showing how eating all the Soul Food (mainly alot of pork and fast food) can lead to death in black people. The burger was a whole different issue.

4. jradford

jradford The Jerkstore called

Dec 28, 2004
    My Tivo missed this one for some reason. Thankfully CN shows replays.

5. dumbunny

dumbunny New Member

May 14, 2002
    Fremont, CA

Advertisements

Another episode early last month was titled "The Itis" when it was a different episode, so your TiVo may have thought this one was a repeat.

I thought this episode was brilliant. It compared two social ills, added historical context, and then cleverly tied it to a Dr. Seuss cautionary tale. It was all really well done.

6. FireMen2003

Apr 1, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Care to expand on that issue? Thanks...

7. dumbunny

dumbunny New Member

May 14, 2002
    Fremont, CA
    Sure. The tale is "The Lorax." Its narrative voice is "The Once-ler," who ruined a once-beautiful planet with his industrial, capitalistic greed. In "The Itis," Ed Wuncler (pronounced the same) wants to buy the land that the park is on at a low price, so he uses Grandad's restaurant to dilapidate the neighborhood.

Neither character is actively malicious; they simply choose not to care. This is a key point, since a malicious Wuncler (ie. a CIA program to introduce crack to the inner city, yadda yadda) would be too divisive -- it would dilute the message of personal responsibility that McGruder wants to promote.

8. Snappa77

Snappa77 RUDEBWOY

Feb 14, 2004
    BOSTON
    Lead to death for anyone.................

except Kermit the Frog.

:p :D

9. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I must be dense this week, b/c I missed a lot of the hidden messages and the joke about the name.

10. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    I'm still missing it (or getting it but don't think it's funny).

What's the joke?

11. FireMen2003

Apr 1, 2004
    Peachtree...
    dumbunny, gotcha. I think I've seen that book along time ago. That's exactly what I was thinking along the lines too.

Really, TB? I'll start with the restaurant name. Remember when they were eating at Grandad for Sunday dinner and everyone went to sleep except Huey? It was a joke towards ni***itis cause they went to sleep after eating. Case in point for the restaurant to have beds instead of tables because the food is so heavy.

The Lutha burger was an (not sure of the word) to crack epidemic in the '80's and 90's. After people had a few hits of it, they had to keep going back. Remember, the first robbery in the park? The community turned bad. How the dominate white male can use the black male by making the black male think he is getting some financial freedom when in fact, it's all apart of the dominate white male scheme to devaule the property so he can buy it cheaply and then build it for his use. In the end you saw Wunceler smiles as he got to tear down the park, he wanted in the beginning, that became crime ridden thus devalued. Think of how many black neighborhood have chicken shacks, pawn shops, liquor stores, bars and what have you.

Atleast, that's what I took from it. Your opinion might be different. Where's hanumang to discuss the show when you need him? ;)

12. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    I've never heard the term "ni***itis" -- Do you have the right number of asterisks in there? I'm assuming that's the N-word.

Edit: I googled it.

13. FireMen2003

Apr 1, 2004
    Peachtree...
    It is, I wasn't sure if the filter would block it or not. It probably has to do with all the bad parts of the pig, they were fed during slavery which were so heavy to digest, you went to sleep.

14. Turtleboy

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Oh yeah, I got all the crack epidemic references, and I knew early on that Ed Asner was using the restaurant to make the 'hood go to hell so he could buy the park.

I just hadn't heard the -itis term before. Thanks for pointing it out.

My favorite line, "I didn't know Meadowlark Lemmon had died."

15. MitchO

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ
    I cant find any information on the -itis term we're discussing. Am I misunderstanding what the implied letters are in the term?~

16. Turtleboy

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Probably.

I never heard of that term either, but typing it into google got lots of hits.

[n-word]itis.

17. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    I hadn't heard that term before either. I consider myself kinda hip too. *shrug*

So, speaking of the fact that I'm not hip at all, what was the Meadowlark Lemmon quote about? I know he was a Globetrotter, but...

18. MitchO

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ
    In Robert's mind, why else would there be a "Meadowlark Park", unless it was a memorial to the only famous guy he knew with that name?

19. cptodd

cptodd Just Me!

Jun 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Just to get things straight, the term is niggeritis or nigritis (I am not so sure about the spelling). It names the practice of getting sleepy/falling asleep after a meal. Sorry if that offends anyone (why the hell am I saying sorry? anyhow . . . ). I thought the episode was quite good. I had thought about coming here to see what folks thought of the episode. Glad I remembered and made it over. I thought it was QUITE interesting. I did not see the whole "turning the park into a development thing" coming at the end but he tends to shock me with those twists at the end (though this one was a bit overdetermined and therefore crude). I loved the little shock at the end of his episode where grand dad killed that old mean black man with his fists in the parking lot of the mall and then got off scott free because one of the kids took out a boxing licence.

I find his cartoons are very interesting (and I never read the comic strip. nor do I now read it) for many reasons but one of which is his withering attacks on "black culture" and "black society." I wonder who his audience is? It is also interesting to note that he has gotten in trouble a few times but not for any of his withering attacks on the groups mentioned above.

Did anyone see the King episode (and I have not looked to see if there was a thread for the king episode)? Did you know that the day after it aired the guy behind this 'toon/strip came on Nightline (which has declined DRAMATICALLY in my opinion since Koppel--my news GOD--left) and was questioned about its message and some of its language?

20. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    The black sportsnews guys I listen to simply think the show is hilarious and seem to miss all the fairly obvious messages and political and socio-economic themes.