The Book of Daniel 1/13/2006 (S01E03) "Acceptance"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dswallow, Jan 14, 2006.

1. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...

Advertisements

This one was really enjoyable. I really don't get the complaints about the show... for that matter it seemed that it did rather well in one market that aired the pilot but decided to pull further episodes... it was #1 in its timeslot there even though nationally it just made #3.

Peter's really falling for choirboy... makes me wonder how choirboy's going to respond. I just feel like we're being set up for something unexpected.

The mixup between the mob guys and the gay couple was really amusing. Formulaic, but amusing. It was also nice to have that extra twist with the father/son fight where the son's wife wasn't aware of his previous marriage to the woman who's now the fathers wife.

2. IwantmyTiVo

IwantmyTiVo New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    My tivo didn't pick this show up the first week due to scheduling conflicts, but I picked it up last night and I enjoyed this show. Will definitely be watching more. Quite funny.

3. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Does this show really portray Jesus in a negative light or were some church groups quick to jump the gun and condemn this show?

4. IwantmyTiVo

IwantmyTiVo New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    IMO, no to the first part of your question, and yes to the second part.

Lots going on in this show, I wasn't bored for a minute.

I don't have any idea what all the negative hype about the show is/was. :confused:

5. 4inziksych

4inziksych New Member

Feb 28, 2003

Advertisements

I don't think they're really trying to portray Jesus at all, so much as Daniel's idea of what Jesus is like.

6. mrmike

mrmike Custom User Title

May 2, 2001
    I'm really struck by how subtle Jesus' commentary seems to be so far. It's more conversational than preachy. Even more so than the "Joan" diety. This Jesus seems like the kind of guy who'd really help you out, and you wouldn't even necessarily know that it happened. I like that.

7. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was thinking while watching this show "I kinda like this Jesus, he's OK".

I don't get the negative comments about the show either. I love the interaction between the siblings. Some people call it mean-spirited, but it's obvious they care about each other and just like to give each other a hard time. That's pretty much a perfect sibling relationship in my eyes. Now the relationship between the mother and HER mother, THAT'S disfunctional!!

8. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Dan Hedaya always cracks me up. I hope he's a major part of the show.

9. JETarpon

JETarpon Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2003
    And who didn't see Jessie running off with the jewels a mile away as soon as the sister said "I really should lock this"?

10. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I'm enjoying this show. Some funny lines although pretty obvious plots so far. I agree that Daniel's relationship/conversations with Jesus are the best parts. My favorite scene so far was the one from last week where they're sitting on the bench outside the church and Jesus takes away the Vicodin and gives him a a Life Saver, then they do riffs on the titles of self-help books, and they're both cracking up. Now that's the kind of Jesus I'd like to know!

11. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Me too. I mean, a Jesus with a sense of humor....how refreshing.

Or dare I say, how OFFENSIVE! ;)

12. jradford

jradford The Jerkstore called

Dec 28, 2004
    I missed the premiere, but wanted to give it a shot based on positive feedback from last week's thread. I made it through about 15 minutes before I gave up.

I will try again to finish it, as this thread is again filled with positive reviews, but I just found the characters pretty annoying more than anything.

13. kpurcell

kpurcell New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    NO you got it right the first time. Read his stuff; it's pretty funny (especially if you understand 1st century Greek culture)

14. BrandonSi

BrandonSi New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Chicago, IL...
    "What, you're not gonna take a pill? Someone said something mean to you!"