The Bolt and Green "Static"

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by jefny, Dec 24, 2020.

1. jefny

jefny Member

Feb 13, 2008

Advertisements

In early 2019 I purchased a TIVO renewed Bolt that allowed me to transfer my lifetime service. I did purchase the extended warranty. After about 2 months instead of the normal picture I was getting "green static" though the sound appeared okay (I have Verizon FIOS cable service). By pulling the plug on the bolt it did get back to normal but several days later the same thing happened. A call to TIVO said to report to them when it is actually happening.

The problem seemed to go away for 20 months but just appeared again. This time pulling the plug for 60 seconds did not get the picture back but pulling the plug for 10 minutes did.

Has anyone had this kind of problem? Is it a sign of something going wrong. My warranty runs out in early 2022 and I would like to get a replacement if the system is going.

John

2. jefny

jefny Member

Feb 13, 2008
    As a follow up to my green static issue I called TIVO who patiently walked me through a series of tests which included swapping out one Bolt with another (I have two). In the end the problem was the TV and NOT the Bolt. I have to thank the TIVO support person who spent almost half an hour as we eliminated cabling and external storage as a cause as well as other issues.

It seems that the TV (Roku TV) was working fine with streaming but only when playing broadcast TV did the problem appear but only intermittently. I was fooled when I reset the TIVO (pulling the plug for 5 minutes) and the problem went away. Why I don't know but I realized all I have to do is pull the TV plug and the problem disappears. The TV is still under warranty.

Thanks TIVO.