The Blacklist - Cape May - S3E19 (4/20/16) *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by busyba, Apr 22, 2016.

1. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC

Advertisements

Creating this thread to save people who really don't feel like creating a new thread the trouble.

2. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Honestly I think I followed what was going on but I was entirely annoyed that this came out of the blue after last week. I can't say I enjoyed it much either tbh. I guess they aren't in any hurry to tell us anything more about Liz. Also did he kill the doctor ya think?

3. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I don't think he did. I think he certainly didn't mind that the doctor thought he would, as that probably helped him be more forthcoming, but I think this was just Red's version of an M&M conference.

From another angle... there's no way Red could kill the doctor and still be considered the protagonist (even if as just an anti-hero) by the viewers.

Like he said later, he never killed anyone who didn't deserve it. No way the doctor classifies under that doctrine.

4. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    My only question is if we really learned anything concrete about Liz's mom here, or was it all too abstract and hallucinatory to draw any conclusions? There were so many parallels between the generations that it wasn't always clear which "she" was being discussed (on purpose I'm sure). Does finding the pendant in the sand mean that she actually did walk into the ocean? Or did she fake her own death? Or did she just lose it in the sand?

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

I've gone from 98% sure that Lizzie died to about 99.5%. If she's still alive, certainly Red and almost certainly the doctor weren't in on it.

6. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    My take on this last show....

HUH!!! I did not get any of it and I expected to see more about that previous episode. Instead it was all but ignored. Now if he just wants to find who wanted Liz dead it will turn this into a bad show!

7. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    One of the least enjoyable hours of television I've ever watched all the way through.

8. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    It's one thing to hallucinate an evening with Lizzie's mom, but it's another thing to hallucinate an entire firefight with 8 guys. It does explain how they got the house cleaned up so quickly.

9. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Twenty minutes in my wife begged me to change to a different program; I assured her they must be going somewhere, "Blacklist" has never let us down before. Now my wife is mad at me and I've lost another hour of my life watching bad TV that I'll never get back.

10. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    To some extent, this is the episode that had to happen. We just killed a major character, who was the motivation for the entire damn series. It's going to take Red a while to process that. Now next week when Red starts to bring the hurt on whomever tried to abduct Lizzie, it will seem like there was sufficient grieving time.

Like Rob, this episode has brought my level of belief that they did indeed kill off Lizzie up a notch.

I think we also put the final nail in the coffin of the plot surrounding Lizzie's mother. They wrapped it up. I'm just curious who they bring in to fill the void.

preview spoiler:
    Goddammit! Is that Tom Keen in the freakin' preview for next week? What is it going to take for this guy to go away? Did they sign a five year contract with the damn actor or something?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    They have to set up his spin-off show (with Solomon and the new chick). Count on him being at least gone-ish by the end of the season (they can always bring him back if the spin-off isn't picked up).

12. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    As a standalone episode I did not mind this. But given what transpired last week this was unexpected. I agree that this whole mother-daughter parallels were purposefully vague. I liked that. I think the firefight actually did happen, 20-some years earlier, and it was after this shootout that Lizzie's mother realized that, in order to protect her daughter, she had to die (or disappear -- still think she's around somewhere). Red was too late to save her, just like he was in his hallucination.

But does any of this explain Red's father-like attachment to Lizzie? Just because he loved the mother I don't necessarily see how he would love her daughter by another man. Snape didn't have any warm feelings for Harry despite him having her eyes. Did Red, perhaps, try to bring Lizzie up herself, only giving her up when something else happened? How does this episode fly in the wake of the fire flashbacks when Lizzie was hiding in the closet? Or was that her real father (whoever he is) finally finding out where she was and storming in to take her?

Or is this a complete ret-con because the actress wanted to back out and they could not continue the story as originally planned?

13. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Don't forget that Meghan Boone just had a baby in real life. It's entirely possible that she just wants to spend more time with her family. As a parent of a daughter about to go to college, I applaud the desire to spend more time with family....

14. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I still hold out hope that Liz isn't dead and it's still a setup of some sort. I also think this episode setup some hows and whys. I think that Liz's mom could still be alive, and Red is "recalling" how and why she disappeared. But, it also could be a parallel. In the case of Liz's mom and Liz, Red saves Liz but Mom dies and currently Red saves the baby but Liz dies.

15. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    My thoughts are that she is not really dead, but that the Dr & Red are not in on it. I think the cleaner lady that Red always called arranged it to get her & her baby safe & clear of Red. I bet she turns up next season.

Also, I believe that Red was reliving what really happened years earlier when Elizabeth was a baby. The fight with the armed men and all took place back then and he just returned to the place it all happened. And I think the necklace in the sand was really lost back then when she went into the sea.

16. unixadm

unixadm Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Georgia, USA
    My exact thoughts as well. I think with Megan Boone pregnant in real life, this was a way to deal with maternity leave, give her some time off of the show, then have her "surprise" everyone with really being alive. Red's sole goal has been to protect her and he did a really bad job of it....and I agree that cleaner lady basically wanted to get Liz away from Red and truly safe for a while.

17. connie_w

connie_w Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 9, 2015
    Arizona
    This is what I am hoping. I cannot imagine Liz being gone from this show. And, darn it, I like Tom, too. ;)

18. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Honestly it's not even that I love Liz as much as she and Red are the center of the show and this feels like bad writing, which means it has to be due to wanting to give her time off for the pregnancy and not because Liz is really dead. I might bail if she's really gone. It's like turning it into a completely different show.

I like Tom too. Just not with Liz. :)

19. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    After the previous episode, I thought there was a decent chance Liz was still alive, but after this episode, there is no reasonable explanation for Liz being alive. The difference is that now Red has interrogated the doctor, and the doctor convinced Red that Liz died. It would be very hard to deceive Red under those conditions (not to mention hazardous to one's health to even try).

So I must conclude that the doctor thinks that Liz is dead. Which basically seals her fate, because not only would they have had to fool the doctor, it would have been stupid to even attempt the deception without the doctor's help (who knows what extraordinary measures he might have tried to "revive" Liz that might have actually killed her).

Of course, this is TV, so they could have Liz be alive anyway, despite all reason and common sense pointing to there being no way she could be alive.

20. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Was Red interrogating the doctor, or was he rehearsing him, making sure he can stick to the story and won't break later?

I don't really see the M&M with the doctor as proving anything.