The Blacklist 9/29/2016 (S04E02) "Mato" (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by wprager, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Oct 2, 2016 #1 of 26
    wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada

Advertisements

Well, we knew that was coming. Red has shown in the past to be very ruthless. Usually he is a much better shot.

2. Oct 2, 2016 #2 of 26
    wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Earlier in the episode Mr. Kaplan says "Do you remember what I looked like that night? My head torn open, Annie’s body in front of me?" So, does that mean she could have a metal plate in her head? Chekhov's Cranial Plate?

And who is "Annie"?

3. Oct 2, 2016 #3 of 26
    busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Will there be a flashback where we see Mr. Kaplan calling out, "Annie are you ok? Annie are you ok? Are you ok, Annie?"

Shooting her to me felt like a line crossed for Red. I think he'll be going down a darker than usual path this season.

4. Oct 2, 2016 #4 of 26
    wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
  5. Oct 2, 2016 #5 of 26
    wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada

Advertisements

Was "Masha" brought up Russian or American? If you are trying to maintain a cover you don't give your daughter a Russian name, do you? And if they were planning on bringing her up in secret then wouldn't they bring her up in Rissian? The girl who was the palace keeper spoke with a Russian accent, so I'm sure her mother (who worked there before) was even less fluent in English. And in Lizzie's flashbacks she was meant to be speaking Russian to her mother (I did not understand a single word, so either they were very bad or not even trying to sound Russian).

So "Masha" was brought up in Russian, yet she signs her drawing as "Masha" and not "Маша"?

6. Oct 2, 2016 #6 of 26
    wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Kaplan mentions how Red gave Lizzie to her as a baby, yet grown-up Lizzie has memories as a 5-6 year old at the Summer Palace. And earlier Red says he knows what the Summer Palace is. Also, while Lizzie flashes back and remembers her mother, they did not show Kirk in those flashbacks.

Soooo, was the Summer Palace actually a place where Red hid Lizzie and her mother and not a house that Kirk built to raise his daughter?

7. Oct 2, 2016 #7 of 26
    loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    Yeah, Red shooting Mr. Kaplan was maybe a step too far for me. What a complete bastard.

8. Oct 2, 2016 #8 of 26
    john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    It was definitely a major turn for the character. Before that, I think Red was mostly likable. He has killed people before for betraying him, but in the past those people deserved it (except for Liz's adopted father, who did not deserve it, but was already dying and in pain so it was not so evil an act).

Kaplan certainly did not deserve death. Red is now a full-on bad guy.

9. Oct 7, 2016 #9 of 26
    tiellv

tiellv Pluviophile

Nov 11, 2002
    Oregon
    I don't recall ever seeing someone shot by Reddington, survive. Is there more to this than meets the eye or am I just hoping?

10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It's possible future episodes may shed some light on the issue...

11. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    What confused me about it is why would he leave a body unburied out in the open on land that could possibly be traced to him where a tourist might stumble upon it. There has to be an ulterior motive.

12. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ

The land was owned by him (likely not in his name) in the middle of a forest preserve in the middle of nowhere. The presumption was that no one ever came out there so there wouldn't be tourists there.

13. series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    Still very uncharacteristically sloppy for him. People recreate in forest preserves. If a dead body is found there, and particularly if Mr. Kaplan is IDed given her professional background, somebody could start poking into the identity of the shell company on the deed.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  14. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    He said something before he shot her that no one had ever stepped where they were in that wilderness. I'm pretty sure that he assumed the body would not be found until predators had consumed it. He also guessed that Bones would not be investigating the remains so he would be safe. :)

15. series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    He also said she could live out the rest of her days there. Like a Bond villain trying to kill Bond, he's not going to make sure it happens but just assume everything works out as planned? He may as well have used a tank of sharks with laser beams attached to their heads.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  16. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    He killed his trusted friend/aide in season 1, Newton Phillips remember? Told him his family would be taken care of then put a bag over his head. I think it was like episode 4 or 5. Yeah he and Mr Kaplan were closer as far as we know but this wasn't really out of character for him. :(

17. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Maybe it seems different to us because we've come to like her.

18. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    Sure I remember. Do you remember what that guy did?

19. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Yes he betrayed him to the Cabal after they threatened his family. I don't see that as any more worthy of death than Mr Kaplan. Maybe it's a perspective thing.

20. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    He betrayed Red to Red's worst enemy - a betrayal that could have gotten Red tortured and killed, as well as Red's friends and allies hurt.

Kaplan betrayed Red at the request of one of Red's favorite people (not to an enemy), and the betrayal did not directly harm Red at all, and in fact, seemed to help Red's friend. I suppose you could argue that it ultimately put Liz in danger, but really, she would have been taken wherever she was -- Red thinks he can protect her, but she nearly died several times while she was under his "protection", so that is no guarantee of her safety.

Bottom line is that Newton betrayed Red to Red's worst enemy, whereas Kaplan did something completely different, and as Kaplan said, it was actually in Red's best interests if he wanted Liz and her baby to be safe and happy.

Maybe the reason Red was so angry with Kaplan is because Red does not truly care about Liz being safe and happy, but rather has some selfish need to be in her life.