The biggest single problem with the Tivo UI ...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jfh3, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Aug 4, 2007 #1 of 47
    jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    There are a lot of little things I'd like to see improved in the TiVo UI, but there is ONE THING THAT ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, HAS TO CHANGE - DO NOT RETURN TO LIVE TV WHEN HITTING THE GUIDE BUTTON !!!!!!!!!

I've just ruined yet another ball game because of this. :( :mad: :(

Tivo, if you can't just overlay the guide over whatever is on the screen, provide an option that would simply put a blank background up when the guide is displayed.

All the other stuff is minor - P L E A S E fix this long-standing bug/request in the next major release.

pleasepleasepleaseprettyplease.

Thanks ... :)

2. Aug 4, 2007 #2 of 47
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    bravo bravo!
    Totally agreed, with dual buffers, it's just crazy. I'm frequently behind on a tuner and running in the buffer, and I have to always be aware that I can't hit guide to program something unless I go to the other tuner.

(and then heaven forbid it changes the other tuner I was watching because I was busy on the "spare tuner" viewing the guide)

Diane

3. Aug 4, 2007 #3 of 47
    Jedi4141

Jedi4141 Member

Jun 19, 2006
    I either do not understand your problem or I do not have it. If I am watching anything from the "Now Playing List" that is finished recording and I hit the guide button than yes Tivo goes to Live tv. (Why do you need to use the guide while watching a recorded program?) But if I am in the middle of a recorded program that is still being recorded or behind in a live buffer then hit guide, it simply goes to guide. There is no problem.

So is your issue with the first or the second situation or neither? If it is the first, do your recordings or check programs before you watch a program. Just my 2 cents, I would rather bug Tivo over a hard drive space indicator and such. :)

4. Aug 4, 2007 #4 of 47
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I think he is watching TV in the buffer instead of recording. I don't watch TV that way. I don't even know what the point of that is. Just record it and save yourself all the pain.

5. Aug 4, 2007 #5 of 47
    Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Well-Known Member

May 10, 1999
    Some of us like to multitask. I like to set up recordings & check/edit to-do list while continuing to hear/listen to a recorded program, especially talks shows/news where there are often slow parts or portions where I am content to hear the dialog and not pay too much attention to the video. On Tivo, this isn't possible. On my Motorola 6412/iGuide, it is.

I watch live TV very infrequently, I'm just interested in the guide for recording setup, so why force me to view live TV to get that form of the guide? If I want to view live TV I'll just hit the live TV button first. Guide should just bring up the guide over whatever I happen to be watching at the moment. If I select something that's on now, then switch to live TV, but if I just hit record, then I'd just like it to record in the background.

6. Aug 4, 2007 #6 of 47
    nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    :up: +1

I've become quite adept at the "Live TV - Pause" key combination. I almost never have live TV on - its just the source for my TiVo's not something that should be actually watched even in the background ;)

7. Aug 4, 2007 #7 of 47
    MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    The few times I have to access the guide while something is recorded that I don't want spoilered, I mute the sound.

8. Aug 5, 2007 #8 of 47
    Bluesfan77

Bluesfan77 Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Just to ask, is there a computer in close proximity to where you view your TV? If so, and you're wanting to setup shows, you could always go to Tivo's (or Yahoo's) website.

9. Aug 5, 2007 #9 of 47
    JJ

JJ TiVoPlantation Owner

Jul 14, 2000
    Land of...
    TiVo
    please don't change my favourite feature. This is a TiVo feature that is near and dear since it allows use that shortcut on touchscreen remotes and program less buttons...

10. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    I agree with OP. I've been wathing a game live that I was not intended to watch then had to leave so I figured i'd record it. Hit the wrong button and you'll empty the buffer and loose the first part.

JJ you saying your remote don't have a live tv button?

11. JJ

JJ TiVoPlantation Owner

Jul 14, 2000
    Land of...
    Never
    bothered to program one. The 'double duty' nature of this shortcut made it completely unnecessary. Peanut remote lives quietly in a drawer gathering dust, not in my hand. Changing this may upset the delicate balance of just how crowded the touchscreen panel can become without becoming useless...

12. Rowsdower

Rowsdower The Final Sacrifice

Dec 10, 2002
    One thing that I've never understood is why TiVo introduced separate "live TV" and "guide" buttons (replacing the single button that controlled both functions) if they didn't intend to add the ability to access the guide while watching a recording (without returning to live TV).

The combined button served as a "live TV" button if the user was not already in that mode, and it served as a "guide" button if he/she was. Therefore, the introduction of two separate buttons merely added the ability to access the guide and live TV with one press (instead of two) and on dual-tuner models, the useless option of pressing the "live TV" button (instead of the "down" button) to switch tuners. How this justified the inconvenience of having an additional button to worry about (after so many of us had become accustomed to the original setup) is beyond me.

As noted above, it would have made sense if they'd added the ability to view the guide without exiting a recording (which obviously wouldn't be possible with a button that shares the "live TV" and "guide" functions), but they didn't do that.

Another inexplicable decision was the one to assign the same infrared code to the new "live TV" button that had been assigned to the combined "live TV"/"guide" button, while assigning new codes to the "guide" button and "TiVo" button. This resulted in the inability to properly use both styles of remote control together; the "live TV"/"guide" button will function only as a "live TV" button until that remote control's "TiVo" button is pressed (which informs the DVR that an old-style remote control is in use). I don't understand why they didn't simply assign the two new codes to the "live TV" and "guide" buttons (while leaving the "TiVo" code unchanged). That would have allowed the DVRs to properly recognize both styles of remote control without any need for resets. At the very least, they could have assigned the "live TV"/"guide" code to the "guide" button (and the new code to the "live TV" button), which would have limited the malfunction to the appearance of the guide when going to live TV.

Is anyone aware of some rationale that I'm missing?

13. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area

For example:

Record baseball game on ESPN. Game over. Recording in NPL. Tuner still on ESPN.

Start watching game. Wife says "Did you get the new show I told you about?". Pause. Hit Guide to go set up a SP. Get dumped into Live TV and see the score of my game on the crawl ... :(

Ditto if you see a commercial about a new show during a recording. Have to go set up a SP because the networks are too cheap to pay for iPreview tags.

14. Stephen Tu

May 10, 1999
    Most decent universal remotes would allow you to make a single button be a "live TV + guide" 2 command macro if you prefer it this way. You should be able to work around this if it were changed. Those of us who don't want guide to execute "live TV" whenever we hit the guide button have no recourse.

15. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    This happens to me with great regularity. I don't watch sports, and it's not the spoiler factor, it's just the PITA factor. One can be watching a recording, and for whatever reason, want to schedule a recording. Maybe one of the actors reminded you of something else you want to grab, or this show made you think of another show. TOMA happens to me all the time with TiVo. So when I hit guide to record another show, it drops out of the recording and goes live. It would be convenient if it stayed in the recording, maybe paused it. But not live TV.

jfh3--This is not a big deal to me, but I see your point and share your pain. :up: I also see little chance of this changing soon. :(

16. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I can see how this would be a PIA if you use the guide to find programs to record, but I don't think I've ever used the guide in that way. Why not just use the 'Search for Programs' function? Seems much easier, at least to me.

17. jkovach

jkovach TiVoing since 1999!

Feb 17, 2000
    Gilbert, AZ USA
    Agree 100%. I only use the guide if I'm already watching Live TV and want to know what's on other channels at the present time or immediate future. Otherwise, I use the other search function to locate future programs and setup recordings.

18. nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    I agree, search is the typical method, but I do use the guide when I'm watching a program "near live" (which is pretty common in prime time) and in the break there is a promotion for program x next or whatever. Then I hit guide, select the program and record it. The problem is that this is the highest risk scenario. The program I'm watching probably hasn't yet finished and there is a huge risk of spoiler. OK, I could exit the program and navigate to find program and search by title but it seems kind of simpler to hit guide and select the program from there.

19. Stephen Tu

May 10, 1999
    One nice thing about the live guide is that it is translucent, you can continue to view/listen to the program while you hunt down the program(s) you want to record. "Search for programs" interrupts your viewing. I want this ability while watching recorded programs.

20. JJ

JJ TiVoPlantation Owner

Jul 14, 2000
    Land of...
    Touchscreens
    are 100% programmed. No buttons to have or not have the seperate commands. Simplay not a lot of extra room for the additional button either. Since I have been using the Series1 map since 1999 and it has served well with as many as nine series 1, 2 and DiercTVHD TiVo's under control at one tiime I am simply opposed to a change that will reduce the WAF of the system...