The Biggest Loser - 04/26/2011 *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by KungFuCow, Apr 27, 2011.

1. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    Wow.. so Rulon walks off the ranch. I cant say Im surprised but Im kind of disappointed. I guess his only goal was to get back to his competitive weight which even then it looked like he could stand to lose a few more.

Im glad to see Kaylee leave. She was past due to be sent home.

Looks like the finals are going to be interesting. 4 people from one team left and one from the other. Hope the dude doesnt fall below next week, he has no chance.

2. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    I was very let down by how they handled the Rulon departure. No explanation whatsoever? :confused: That's not good reality TV. :( I wonder if something was going on back home that was too personal to be shared on TV. Otherwise, if it was just that he had nothing left to lose at the ranch, they would have talked about that.

3. ehusen

ehusen Geek not Nerd

Jan 7, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Rumor mill is saying that Rulon was DQed and this was there way to allow him to leave to save the show/himself from disgrace.

It was, IMHO, stupid and unfair to bring Tara back to compete in the challenge. The only point seemed to try and prevent Rulon from winning the challenge. Did you notice that Rulon had the hardest spot (sharp angle on the track) and Tara had the easiest spot (almost completely flat)?

I can't help feeling (wishing?) that there is more to the Rulon departure beyond he's just tired and ready to go home.

4. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I just found two articles...

The first was about Rulon and the controversy. The second was published just after Ken left and has some interesting personal details about Ken and what he was dealing with after Week 5.

I find the Ken article equally interesting, he had some repressed memories that came out at Week 5 that were being dealt with.

Greg

5. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I read that as well. Rumors of "tampering" (whatever that would be, I don't know), smuggling in food, and smuggling in a cell phone.

I have also read that he wanted to leave because they rigged the car challenge, but he cannot just say that on tv because of contracts that he's probably signed, so they told him he has to say it's for personal reasons.

Now I'd like to know for real why he left. :) My gut says that it's that he was DQ'd because by choosing to leave because he's pissed off about the car challenge, he took himself out of the running to win the at-home prize. I get that you're supposed to be there to improve yourself and your life yada yada but I can't imagine going that far and then not just sticking it out until the end for the chance to win some cash, too. I thought I read somewhere or maybe it was on the show that the gym that he and Justin own was struggling financially... seems like if that was the case, then winning some money would be a good thing.

I think that whole challenge is stupid, unless they do something to the cars to make how much they are pulling be proportional. Rulon is an extremely strong guy! I honestly didn't think any of them, even Tara, had a chance.

Personally, I am rooting for Olivia and Hannah. They have been kicking butt and seem like nice people.

6. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    Oh also, what was up with Kaylee and the white team guy! He was there for all of like a day, and now she's "in a new city" and going on dates with him?

7. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    What gets me, if indeed he was DQ'ed, is why would the prodcers and NBC hide it? I would think that they should PROMOTE it, it's great drama for a reality show, and discourages from other contestants doing it.

8. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Perhaps their hands weren't too clean either?

9. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    IANAL but here's my thinking.

If the stories are true, they did what they had to do for the show. Even as reality TV, it's still governed by a lot of the game show rules imposed after the 64,000 quiz show scandal. If there are rules, they have to be enforced. They don't have to show it but they have to do it. I think this allows the show to move on and gives all involved some ability to save face.

Rulon has been causing friction for a few weeks now. He clearly thinks the rules don't apply to him. He has led his entire post Olympic life that way. He makes bad decisions. I'm happy he is gone.

Kaylee was done. I'm not sure she really reached her goal weight but she's clearly done as much as she is willing to do for now.

I seriously question the outcome of the challenge but I have to think that the contestants at the top of the track had some issue with the banking. The car would want to come down the hill do the drivers had to be countering that by steering uphill. I also think it's incredibly unlikely that even Tara could beat Rulon.

I'm Ok with anyone left winning. They all seem like nice people.

10. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I'm glad he's gone too. The whole departure thing had an odd vibe to it, so I am not surprised to hear these rumors. I think he just didn't want to be told what to eat anymore and his habits won't change. I hope I'm wrong, but I will be surprised if I am. Something about him never did set right with me anyway.

This season, while I keep trying, I cannot seem to get invested in any of them. I didn't even recognize the girl in orange. OMG, my memory is going fast - I thought 'who is that girl, somebody new?'. The ladies really look great, though.

11. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    They all are looking pretty good and I guess next week even better. The weird part is that Olivia still looks older than she really is and Austin looks older than he is where before he looked younger. Irene is starting to look seriously hot but then I have a thing for latinas anyway.

12. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Is it possible that NBC wants him for its wrestling coverage at next year's Olympics, and if "Joe Sixpack and Sally Soapopera Chatshow" thinks he tried to cheat on the show, the viewers won't take him seriously?

13. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    If the rumors are true, I think cheating overstates it. He violated his agreement. He didn't somehow cheat to lose extra weight. He paid with any chance to win. Fair penalty.

14. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I don't know maybe it's because I work in an office where absolutely everyone needs to know absolutely everything, but I felt like they handled it just fine--it's no one's business why he left. If it was personal reasons and he didn't want to share with a television audience, then I'm glad they didn't force him.

Just out of curiosity, when you say "he clearly thinks the rules don't apply to him",what are you basing that on? Granted I FF through 70% of the show but the only thing I saw him do for sure was eat the chips, which to me is hardly a big deal. I'd eat a bag of chips too if I hadn't eaten any junk food in four months (actually I'd probably kill myself but that's just me). Everything else that I've read has been 100% rumor mill stuff...

I was thinking before this ep that Irene is a total background character with no real chance because she's comes across as a non-threat... I was shocked in this episode when they said she's actually the biggest loser right now! She's a total dark horse... not who I expected to be in the lead at all.

Funny story, I had seen the commercials about someone leaving "and it's not who you think", and then last night I caught Jillian on Jay Leno and he asks her what happened w/ the Biggest Loser and sh ebasically just says she's ready for other things, etc. I hadn't seen the episode yet so based on that interview I determined that SHE was the one that walked off, haha. When Rulon announced he was leaving I was like "no way, Rulon AND Jillian are going?" for a second. I guess Jay was asking more in general terms, since she's leaving this season. It was pretty funny though.

15. brott

brott at redh dot com

Feb 23, 2001
    Pleasanton, CA
    Didn't Rulon say something about "if I want to eat Fast Food?" He's going to go back to his old ways quickly .. Even if he shows up at the Finale, I could see him gaining weight since his last weigh-in.

16. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    The thought that went through my mind as his departure was playing out was that Roulan had gotten back down to near his 'playing weight' and he'd had enough of the restrictions. I was thinking that if he left like that and dropped out of the competition that he wouldn't then show up at the finale and wouldn't have to have TBL around when he went back to his old ways and put a bunch of weight back on.

I have always thought Irene was kind of a hottie (even at the beginning of the season) and wished she'd had more screen time. It seems she was REALLY lost in the shuffle until the last few weeks. Heck, I wasn't even sure what she sounded like for a while. She has certainly done well, and she is looking REALLY, REALLY good! :up:

17. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    His entire life is that way. It's not a coincidence that he has all the drama, he makes lots of sketchy choices. The frostbite, the plane crash all resulted from taking chances others don't seem to take. Some people don't make good choices. By the end, it was pretty clear that while he was good about the workouts, he really wasn't buying into the diet part at all.

Irene has always been pretty but now she has the figure to go with it. And, she seems pretty level headed. I'd be just fine with her winning the whole thing. Austin would be another good choice. The rest are fine just not my favorites.

As an opera fan, I wish they'd get Olivia to sing, but she's going to need to learn a whole new repertoire since she'll have the chance to sing lots of new roles instead of the supporting parts she's been singing.

18. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Jillian is leaving after this season, that was announced prior to the start, but I wouldn't expect her to leave until the season is over.

I just saw this article on Yahoo: Wrestling star ponders comeback after quitting "Biggest Loser"

Greg

19. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    Wrestling doesnt pay the bills. If he had any sense he would go back into MMA. He did really well the one bout he fought and had he continued his training, he would be a beast by now. He's kind of old for either but his body probably hasnt taken the abuse that other 39 year old fighters have.. he probably could get a few years out of it and the HW division is so weak that he would probably do pretty well.