The Big Bang Theory [02/27/2014] - "The Table Polarization"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by ScubaCat, Feb 28, 2014.

1. ScubaCat

ScubaCat Shades of Blue......

Jun 26, 2003
    N.E. GA

Advertisements

Now that Raj can speak in front of women he is getting a lot of good lines:

Bernadette: Have you guys ever thought about getting a dining room table?
    Amy: Yeah. You actually do have room for one up there.
    Raj: Oh, sure, I sit on the floor for years, no one cares. The pretty white girl's there ten seconds, and suddenly we're all running to Ikea.​

2. MLR930

MLR930 Mandie

Dec 26, 2002
    Rhode Island
    No mention of Raj's favorite brown wand? LOL

3. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Pretty good ep, but felt a lot of the jokes just fell flat or could have been better.

4. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Agree that it was pretty good. Had some good chuckles, but overall, nothing too memorable.

I did like watching Amy manipulate Sheldon and the smirks on her face when she knows she got him.

5. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...

Advertisements

I was amused at the end when they all were sitting in the living room again. They should have hung on longer. A few more meals.

6. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Leonards imitation of Sheldon- I'm a big baby and I don't want a table.

7. Linnemir

Linnemir Member

Apr 7, 2009
    I thought it fell flat overall. Both the husband and I were disappointed, but can't pinpoint why.

8. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I think mostly because it had two elements that were not real positive. One was the table - started out like a great idea but ended with Sheldon getting his way. And two was Howard and the NASA bit. I was excited and then felt bad for him when they had that sort of intervention to talk him out of it. :(

9. jeff92k7

jeff92k7 Annoyed with trolls

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    It just seemed out of character for Sheldon...they used him just to try to force the jokes that weren't all that funny.

Yes, Sheldon doesn't like change, but logic always prevails. After the train episode a few weeks ago to this one where he immediately wants to dump AFF just seemed forced. Also, what's up with his resistance to the table. He of all people should know that it's more hygenic (tables can be cleaned more easily), better posture which promotes better digestion, among other reasons. Him not wanting the table just because of the change was just ridiculous.

They mentioned a few of the things he's changed over the years. To add to that, he shared an office with Raj for a while (big change), then moved to a new office (another big change), hired an assistant (now sharing his important work - really big change), and so on and so on. Logic always prevails with him.

Though, I did like that he had several thousand updates for Windows 98.

10. pahunt

pahunt Active Member

Apr 7, 2003
    England
    Clearly in a minority but I thought this was one of the best episodes for a while. Story wasn't perfect but there were some great lines with Leonard's translation of Sheldon for Penny just eclipsing Raj's brown wand!

11. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    Why didn't Raj move the dining room chair to the living room so he didn't have to sit on the floor?

-smak-

12. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    The one change he has never come close to accepting is moving from his spot. The second hardest change for him is eating habits. Put the two together and you have full resistance.

In a bigger view, I never understand people trying to use logic on fictional characters. They may be fictional but they can be as illogical as real people.

13. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Because Raj is the house puppy. Despite his complaining about sitting on the floor, he is comfortable with being part of the gang. That comfort in this case is sitting on the floor with his friends eating. He'd be quite happy with all if them at the table, but once they returned to the old pattern, he fell into his old role.

14. jeff92k7

jeff92k7 Annoyed with trolls

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    Fair enough.

Well what I was trying to say wasn't so much about applying logic to the character. It was more that this character seems to apply logic himself. Sheldon has an overwhelming bend towards the logical in most of his decisions. I'm thinking of all the comments in past episodes relating to Spock and Logic that Sheldon (or the character) so clearly holds to.

But, you are correct, logic seems to disappear when it comes to giving up his spot.

Side note: Penny also didn't seem as drunk or felonious in this episode.

15. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I liked the episode overall, but I agree that those two items were problematic. It really bothered me that they gave in to Sheldon so easily.

So I wonder if the set will return to normal in future episodes, or if the dining room table will stay.

16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    It's not logic, it's consistency.

17. jamesl

jamesl Active Member

Jul 12, 2012
    when it comes to behavior, sheldon is consistently illogical

there was that time Penny stayed over and made french toast and sheldon got all upset

sheldon had the plate of french toast right in his hands, he even commented on how good it smelled

then he threw it straight into the garbage because but it was oatmeal day,
    and you can't have french toast on oatmeal day

where is the logic in that ?

sheldon is consistently self-centered, stuck in his ways and indifferent to the needs and feelings of others
    and he is best when he's written this way

it is totally out of character of for him to act any other way

I thought it was great when he finally realized being with Amy was changing him
    and it was totally in character for him to want to break up with her when he realized that

it was also great how everyone else called him out on his illogical behavior when they brought up "his spot" on the couch that only existed because Leonard bought it and why that change was good but this new one was bad

and then it was great to see sheldon's momentary confusion when he was caught between his inability to change, his need to always be right and the logic of the situation

and finally, it was great to see Amy step in and manipulate him

this show has become just another version of "Friends"
    I want to see it go back to its roots

18. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    He may think he is logical but he isn't. His logic is mostly based on comfort and fear.

However, to himself, he thinks his spot is totally logical. It is based upon temperature and a bunch of other factors. He explained it a long time ago.

19. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Since when are people consistent? I laugh with my friends all the time about our inconsistencies in opinions, tastes and choices.

20. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I loved the end where she admits she got cocky.. :)