The Big Bang Theory - “The Stockholm Syndrome” - S12E24 - OAD 05/16/2019

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by ScubaCat, May 16, 2019 at 8:44 PM.

1. ScubaCat

ScubaCat Shades of Blue......

Jun 26, 2003
    N.E. GA
    From the Twitter feed of Kevin Sussman (Stuart):

"Tonight is the series finale of The Big Bang Theory. I think the writers did a fantastic job tying up the series, but we will, of course, re-do it if anyone is unsatisfied."
    :)

2. Satchel

Satchel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Good show. Watched it twice now.

Got choked up both times.

Oh, and the end of Young Sheldon was pretty great, too.

bobcarn, sharkster, Cabinwood and 3 others like this.
  3. Hot4Bo

Hot4Bo Finally an Avatar! TCF Club

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    I had real tears. It was a perfect ending.

Loved the end of Young Sheldon so much!!

4. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I thought it was a nice mix of sad & sweet. Touching ending.

Young Sheldon was great. Loved the tie-in. And that ending... :thumbsup:

5. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    And the kids! We finally saw the kids!

PS: Why not merge the two threads?

Tony_T likes this.
  6. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Altadena, CA
    Because technically they're two different episodes (and will be such in reruns).

--Carlos V.

7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I think that this was my favorite part of the TBBT series finale, closely followed by Sheldon's TBBT Nobel Prize speech.

8. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    And I was sure that they were going to get stuck in the elevator (and possibly miss the Nobel ceremony as a result, still stuck in the elevator). :)

9. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    I choked up a few times during the episode. A good way to end it, and Sheldon grows up. I think it was a shame his mother wasn't there to see him get the prize. Plus we finally get to see the kids.

10. hapster85

hapster85 Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Enjoyed the finale. Very fitting.

I thought actually seeing the kids was weird. They've always been off camera. Why show them now? I've always admired the show for not falling into the "add a kid" syndrome that so many sitcoms succumb to. If they had to be on camera, I'm glad it was a brief, one-time thing.

Penny pregnant was sweet.

Sarah Michelle Gellar attending the Nobel ceremony with Raj was hilarious. Poor guy never found love, but never stopped trying.

Sheldon's speech was very touching. Sitting next to my wife while watching, I felt the goosebumps go up on her arm.

The vanity card was perfect.

11. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    This was a great series ending.

Hope Game of Thrones will be the same.

12. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    The Big Bang Theory Finale: EPs Talk Elevator Twist, Sheldon's Speech, Howard and Bernadette's [Spoilers]

[showrunner Steve Holland]

TVLINE | You introduced Howard and Bernadette’s kids after intentionally/strategically keeping them off-screen all this time. How did you arrive at that decision?
    HOLLAND | Part of the reason we kept them off-screen all these years was that it saved us from having to have small children on the set, which can be difficult. [Introducing little Halley and Michael in the finale] wasn’t part of the plan originally. But as we were writing that scene where Howard and Bernadette are talking about going to Stockholm and having Stuart and Denise watch the kids, [series co-creator] Chuck [Lorre] was like, “What if we just show the kids now? We’d never have to show them again, so we’re not locking ourselves into anything.” It just seemed like a fun idea. And we tried not to make too big a deal about that moment. We sort of played it off casually [so it] felt like a fun little nod for fans.

13. hapster85

hapster85 Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Like I said, glad it was a brief, one-time thing

14. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I thought it was all very well done and in the spirit of the show. Two predictions that many of had came to fruition. The elevator was fixed (a prediction for the last scene by many, but it worked well the way they did it) and either Penny or Amy being preggers. I loved the theme of the whole episode, change, and that works very well for e series finale, where we've seen almost all of the characters change from the beginning of the series (Raj getting over his fear of women, Howard going from letch to family man, Leonard reconciling with his mom and getting the girl of his dreams, Penny moving from her pipe dream of being an actress to successful business woman, and Sheldon learning humility). The ONLY quibble I would have had, is that Sheldon's family or part of his family should have been in Stockholm. But it's a minor quibble.

Also loved the tie in with Young Sheldon. At first we were thinking that maybe Young Sheldon should have aired first, but they tied the two together nicely by doing it the way they did.

15. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Clearly, so were the showrunners!

I think that was one of their better long-term decisions, not having the kids be a part of the show. At least visually/physically.

They discuss the elevator here...

TVLINE | Let’s start with the elevator — did you always envision it getting fixed by the end of the series?
    STEVE HOLLAND: We’re aware that there are lots of wish lists from fans in terms of what they want to see. And we try not to think about that too much. But we had our own wish list of things we wanted to accomplish, and the elevator working has been on our white board of things we’ve wanted to have happen for a while.

TVLINE | A Season 3 flashback episode revealed why the elevator broke down (i.e. it involved a rocket experiment gone awry), but the finale didn’t offer an explanation as to why it took so long to fix and how it was repaired. How come?
    HOLLAND | We talked about, “Do we see workmen? Do we see [Sheldon & Co.] walk up the stairs and not see the caution tape?” But everything would’ve ruined that moment so…
    MOLARO | We figured that someone in the audience was going to pick up that the [yellow caution] tape was not hanging across the elevator doors on all the floors, so we worked a little bit to try and bury that fact.

They talk about that here... (obviously, spoilers for last night's Young Sheldon)
    Young Sheldon EP Calls Season Finale Crossover a 'Love Letter' to Big Bang

16. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I'm curious... how much time elapsed between the night Sheldon and Penny went out drinking after they won the Nobel, and when Amy and Rag went clothes shopping?

Because Penny was definitely drinking that first night.. and then in the next scene, she had to get her dress taken out because of a possible baby bump. How many weeks is it before someone is "showing" (even a little) and how many weeks is it between when they announce the Nobel Prize winners and have the ceremony?

17. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    I was curious, so I looked it up.

The Nobel Prize winners are announced in early October and the ceremony is held in Sweden in early December (on the 10th, the anniversary of Alfred Nobel's death).

If Penny became pregnant the night that the award was announced, she would be about 8-10 weeks along when they made the trip to Sweden. That matches up with the idea that Penny and Leonard would know, but are still keeping it a secret from their friends and family. It also fits timing-wise for her to be having morning sickness during the trip.

18. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I could have sworn they flashed on the screen at some point after they got the call telling them they won..."2 Months Later"

Tony_T, sharkster, BrettStah and 3 others like this.
  19. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    According to the interwebs:
    Yes, I just checked and it did say "two months later" -- didn't catch that last night. But she definitely wouldn't be showing at 8 weeks (although I'm no OB expert).

edit: yes, I know it's a nitpick. Great episode and closure.

20. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    They did. Right at the start of the second episode.

They also went from the theme song directly into a segment, which they never do. There's usually a commercial break right after the song plays.