The BBC want Digital Assassins!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by aerialplug, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Apr 5, 2006 #1 of 14
    aerialplug

aerialplug Serious TiVo User

Oct 20, 2000
    Swansea
    I'm posting this here as I know at least three people from this forum got involved in this the last time the BBC did this sort of thing.

This landed on my in-box just now:
    What they're looking for is people who consume media in a non-traditional form - anyone who has become dependent on TiVo counts as well as people who file-share. The emphasis in non-conventional consumption of news would also be a boon.

If you're interested, the word doccument mentioned above has been attached to a post below (it failed to attach to this post) - it includes a short questionaire and some more details about the project.

2. Apr 5, 2006 #2 of 14
    stretch_blues

stretch_blues Uber-Geek

Mar 29, 2005
    Hmm, had a good look all over your post and can't find and word DOC attached... put me out of my misery and tell me where it is! :confused:

3. Apr 5, 2006 #3 of 14
    cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    I was going to mention it but I thought that he might look silly (sillier? ;)) after editing the post accordingly :p

4. Apr 6, 2006 #4 of 14
    aerialplug

Oct 20, 2000
    Swansea
    Hmm, I definitely added it as an attachment, but it didn't take. I'll post it later on this morning when I have access to it.

5. Apr 6, 2006 #5 of 14
    aerialplug

Oct 20, 2000
    Swansea
    Here's the required attachment that failed to attach last time.

Attached Files:

6. Apr 6, 2006 #6 of 14
    Rob Nespor Bellis

Rob Nespor Bellis Grumpy Sod

Feb 17, 2001
    ~, Brighton, UK
    Filled out and mailed in :D Thanks for the heads up.

Rgds,

R.

7. Apr 6, 2006 #7 of 14
    Rob Nespor Bellis

Feb 17, 2001
    ~, Brighton, UK
    Um, when you mail the questionnaire back to the e-mail address stated in the document you get an out-of-office reply stating that the person has now left the BBC????

Am I missing something here?

Rgds,

R.

8. Apr 6, 2006 #8 of 14
    aerialplug

Oct 20, 2000
    Swansea
    I sent mine in yesterday and didn't get this...

9. Apr 6, 2006 #9 of 14
    aerialplug

Oct 20, 2000
    Swansea
    The address I used was morag.cartwright@ and the rest is standard BBC address.

All I can suggest is try it again adding a note explaining. If it happens again, let me know and I'll let her know that something isn't working properly.

I think the last time they did this, it was spread over 3 days and different people from the forum went on different days - I only got to meet one formum member even though I was there for one and a half days. This time it looks like it's a one-off single afternoon thingy.

I have to add, the last time I did it it was enormous fun.

10. Rob Nespor Bellis

Feb 17, 2001
    ~, Brighton, UK
    That is weird :confused:

I ctrl clicked the address in the document and the address is different Shazia.mustafa@..... obviously the person handling it last time and the link hasn't been updated correctly.

Now sent to the right address ( hopefully :) )

Rgds,

R.

11. aerialplug

Oct 20, 2000
    Swansea
    That is strange - I got the same when I clicked through. It's a cut & paste mess up - Shazia was the person whom I dealt with the last time!

I've let them know and (hopefully) fixed it on my attachment.

12. aerialplug

Oct 20, 2000
    Swansea
    Is anyone confirmed they're doing this?

I just got my final details today so it looks like I'll be joining in the fun :)

The person who sent me the final email included everyone else's email address in the To: field which means everyone whose going will have a list of everyone else's email addresses - not exactly privacy, especially considering that many of the kinds of people they're looking for would openly regard their way of getting media as erm, unconventional...

I recognise a few names, though not necessarily from this forum.

I see you're on the list though, Rob :)

That's the last time I use my work address for something like this - my employer could be really shocked at some of the things I'd have to say about not watching things live and my unconventional ways of absorbing news ;)

And for anyone who's interested in where exactly it takes place - you'd be more likely to see Blue Peter or Children in Need coming from this location rather than a conference...

13. ywu

ywu TiVo User

Jan 12, 2003
    London
  14. aerialplug

Oct 20, 2000
    Swansea
    The last part was also broadcast live across the world on BBC World Service.

But... it was genuinely live for me ;)

[​IMG]

I'll write up a report on my blog about the day and post a link here - but not tonight as I'm pretty tired after a long day!