The Batman: Batgirl Begins (Part 1) (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by doom1701, Sep 18, 2005.

1. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    Shark, meet "The Batman". It'll be jumping over you now...

I loved the introduction of Gordon last week. I thought it was pure genius how they implied that he had been Commissioner all this time--but actually playing the role of commissioner, and staying out of day to day crimefighting. I also liked how the villians had become more fleshed out than they were originally.

But the start of season 3 was a very bad omen. I hate the new opening--the music is approaching the camp levels of "Batman; nananananananananana...BATMAN!" I loved the old theme; it fit the harsher, more gothic style of the series. I have a feeling the series is going to continue to match it's opening theme--and get really silly, really quick.

Also, Gordon, now that he's been introduced, seems to be the only cop in Gotham. Sure, this might change, but I doubt it. I fear the other members of the Gotham PD that we've gotten used to won't be around anymore.

I'm not too hopeful about Batgirl, either, and making Poison Ivy a kid Barbara's age is another backstory change that I'm not sure I'm comfortable with.

I'm not going to quit watching--even with Batman playing heavily in JLU, I still need a bigger fix. But I had a lot of hope recently for this show--hope that is dwindling quickly...

2. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Crap, I missed this! When did it air?

This is just like the JLU episodes -- I discovered them only by accident. TiVo's doing a crummy job of detecting new Toon Network episodes.

3. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Saturday, 8:30AM ET

4. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Ah, so the 3:30PM ET showings are repeats from the previous season?

I specifically selected the 8:30AM episode for this week (Batgirl Begins Part II), but the TiVo still doesn't show it in the "To Do List" -- what the heck?

5. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I actually stopped watching last season 'cause it was so lame. Batman in this is even more of a cardboard cut out than most cartoon characters. And unlike doom1701, I hated the music (particularly the incidental music)... it just didn't fit the tone of the show, IMO.

So, I thought I'd give it another try this season. I diin't catch the first ep of the season, but did catch this one. And I actually liked it! Probably more 'cause of Batgirl than anything. I could care less about the cardboard Batman. Are they going to spin off Batgirl into her own cartoon? It sure felt that way to me. I'd actually give that one a chance.

They really need to do a Jackie Chan or JLU, and try to make the characters more interesting and liikable. Inject more humor into the show.

6. mrpantstm

mrpantstm Well aren't you

Jan 25, 2005
    Fredericksbu...
    is this a live action show or a cartoon? Like Birds of Prey?

7. bentleyml

bentleyml Unregistered User

May 21, 2003
    Moore...
    A cartoon on WB.

8. Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Ugh, instead of Batman, it was some freaky japanimation thing... Ugh.... My 3yo loves batman... I think they are fun to watch..

9. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    Hated it. It just jumped in: no explanation of Detective Yin, or how he met Gordon. And, with the Bat Wave, why the Bat Signal. It just tells crooks "Hey, the Batman's busy right now! The time is right to do your crime!"

10. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    The covered the Gordon angle (well, a little of it) in the finale last season (which, I think, aired for the first time last week). That was actually a pretty good ep. Supposedly the Bat signal was put in place because Yin's Batwave got destroyed in battle. I'm guessing that Batman has a few extras sitting around, but they probably had to get the batsignal in somewhere.

11. NoThru22

NoThru22 Smelly Pirate Hooker

May 6, 2005
    Bel Air, MD
    This show is awful. I can't imagine how anyone could watch. Loved the Edge's theme. If they took that out, they took all redeeming qualities. I was a huge fan of Dini/Timm Batman and with this they just sucked all the life out of it. They just don't get what makes Batman Batman at all.

12. robpickles

robpickles Lurking Around

May 19, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    The main problem I have had with this show is the "rewritting" of the origins of the supervillians. I hate when they mess with comic history.

Rob :)

13. VinceA

VinceA Active Member

May 13, 2002
    Bayonne, NJ
    My 15 year old son hates the show for mucking around with the backstory of things so much. It brings a tear to my eye to know that I've raised him right :)

14. hanumang

hanumang Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ah, gotta love all the threadcrapping going on. :rolleyes:

I dunno why people hate this show so much. Would you guys prefer a re-hash of everything that has been covered - and so damn well - on B:TAS (and the associated spin-offs)?

For one, I love Jeff Matsuda's style, so visually, I think the show is dope.

Plus Greg Weisman - creator of Gargoyles - writes for it. :)

15. VinceA

VinceA Active Member

May 13, 2002
    Bayonne, NJ
    Maybe it's because it has been done 'so damn well' that fuels my dislike for the show. I'm a big anime fan so it's not psuedo-anime artstyle that turns me off about the show. I'm fine with re-imaginings for things that are a lot older than B:TAS. I just don't think it's time for it yet.

Of couse, it could just be that the show is just not for me & my ilk. I'm OK with that. I'm pretty sure the aging geek demographic wasn't foremost in the minds of the creators :)

16. MannyVjr

MannyVjr Manny Gold Agent 009

Nov 20, 2002
    La Gran Manzana
    I tried... hard, to like the show, but I just couldn't.

Pity, they were doing so well before with batman...

17. Figaro

Figaro El Caganer

Nov 9, 2003
    Somwhere in...
    I didn't hate it, but I thought it was a little too much like a Teen Titans episode. If we haven't met Robin yet there certainly shouldn't be a Batgirl.

18. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...

My TiVo must have missed that episode. Do you have a recap?

19. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    The episodes that have been airing during the week this week are all new to me -- Detective Yin is working with Batman (after Ethan's disappearance). But Batgirl hasn't appeared yet. So I'm guessing there were a batch of post-Ethan episodes that are being aired before the new season with Batgirl begins.

But dang, it's confusing!

I'm assuming that Batgirl is still Barbara Gordon, judging from the few scenes I've seen in the opening credits, but they made her, what, 12 years old? And Poison Ivy, too? Sheesh.

20. doom1701

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    Spoilered for safety:

The episode begins with Joker and Pengiun literally "Painting the town", marking their territory, and fighting over who should rule Gotham. Then the Riddler gets into the equation. Ultimately, they decide that whoever unmasks the Bat will be the ruler of Gotham.

Details are fuzzy, but somehow Montoy...sorry, Yin gets involved. Chief Flas...I mean Rohas realizes that Yin has been in cahoots with the Bats for a while, and makes her Public Enemy number 2. So while trying to stop the gruesome threesome, both of them also have to avoid the cops. Sometime in the mix Yin's batwave gets destroyed--I think when Rojas confronts her and learns the truth. Rojas uses Yin as bait to get Batman, and they both escape to the final battle.

Somewhere in the early part of the episode Alfred mentions how Bruce should continue to foster his relationship with Police Commissioner Gordon, who seems sympathetic to the cause of the Bat. It was just setup for the finale.

At the end of the episode, Yin is captured by the three villains, Batman is fighting them on an offshore oil rig, and Rojas has a sniper ready to take Batman out. Gordon shows up, tells Rojas to stuff it, and Batman beats the bad guys and slips off into the night, knowing the police are on their way to the oil rig to try to capture him and Yin.

On the oil rig, Rojas arrests Yin, but is overridden by Gordon. Gordon instead suggests that Yin get credit for capturing the three villains, who Batman left nicely tied up.

At the very end, we see the familiar bat in the sky, Batman shows up on the roof, and Gordon says something to the affect "Since the communication device you gave to detective Yin got damaged, I figured we should have some other way of getting ahold of you."