The Batman 9/22/07; It's Back!

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by lawilson2, Sep 22, 2007.

1. lawilson2

lawilson2 New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Chicago
    They re-introduced the Superman/Batman theme, and I like it. I think that the whole Justice League element they are adding to the show will definitely work.

2. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Other than some really nice looking artwork, this Batman series pales in comparison to the Dark Knight series in the nineties. The stories are way more shallow (and they weren't that deep to begin with), and the characters are too.

That being said, I enjoyed seeing Supes. It was nice also to hear some familiar voices do their characters again (Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, Lex Luthor). It was good fun Saturday morning cartoon time. :)

3. lawilson2

lawilson2 New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Well, it IS Kids WB. :) I don't expect the same quality as before, although I do like the darker looking characters (although not shown in this new episode).

I'm just glad that it's back on.

4. robpickles

robpickles Lurking Around

May 19, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    But i dont like the 'goofy' Clark Kent character.

I liked the old Clark Kent from the Superman Animated Series better.

Rob :)

5. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Nice to have the JLA back -- I wasn't happy when "Justice League Unlimited" was cancelled.

6. lawilson2

lawilson2 New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I still have that as an SP; wishful thinking perhaps? :) Of course, I still have Teen Titans and Static Shock as SP's too.

7. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Great way to start the season. Add me to the group that was happy to hear some familiar voices, especially Superman's.

8. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    This show has gone from drek that I couldn't stand to watch, to something I usually watch the same day it airs. While the decision to go with the goofy Clark Kent is different than what we've seen in previous animated series, it's not like they're just pulling that character out of thin air. I don't mind it at all--in fact, in some ways it's better. Did anyone notice how scrawny Clark is in "The Batman" compared to the ultra-buff Clark in the Batman/Superman Adventures?

9. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I don't much like the anorexic take on Lois Lane, although her facial expressions are much livelier.

10. Peter000

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    That's pretty much the animation style; seems like all the women are portrayed as ultra-skinny and/or gangly.

11. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    It certainly seemed that they modeled Clark Kent after Brandon Routh's portrayal.
    (Note that Routh did the voice of "The Everywhere Man" last year.)

I did laugh when Batman says (about Superman) "Not much of a conversationalist."
    And Robin says, "You're one to talk."

12. anom

anom Enlightened

Apr 18, 2005
    The last series was Kids WB too.

13. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    That's not surprising, considering that "The Batman" has kept it's universe somewhat similar to the current universe of the movies.

14. hanumang

hanumang Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Only after the design revamp - making it The New Adventures of Batman & Robin - was it a Kids WB! show. When it was simply Batman: The Animated Series, it was produced for Fox.

Bruce Timm & company, in commentaries for the DVD sets, even talk about how 'dark' the show is in the early years. Though, to be fair, they mostly attribute the darkness as something that made sense, dictated by the 'art deco' visual style. But they always big-up Fox for not giving them too many notes about 'lightening' the show up...

As for The Batman, I think the show has been on a serious uptick ever since they introduced Robin. As for this episode, count me as in the minority - I wish they would have recast the voices. Having Supes look like Brandon Routh, yet sound like JLU Supes was way too jarring. But a minor complaint, I'm looking forward to part 2.

15. anom

anom Enlightened

Apr 18, 2005
    Fox Kids. It was always produced as a Saturday morning cartoon. They briefly repurposed in primetime after it got a warm critical reception, but the ratings were horrible.

16. hanumang

hanumang Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Actually, it was a weekday afternoon cartoon during it's run on Fox (again, Timm & Co talk on the DVDs about the expectations being different than if it actually was a Sat morning thing). After all, they produced (and aired) 65 episodes for season 2, way too many for a Saturday morning cartoon. ;)

For what it's worth, I'm not arguing that it wasn't aimed at kids - of course it was! :) - but WB Animation was aiming a little higher than they currently are with The Batman.

17. Peter000

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Did they use the same voice for Supes? (Just re-watched a bit) Yeah, the first time around it seemed totally different, now I'm hearing it. But now Jimmy sounds different than the original too. I must be losing my ear.

Anyone know who voiced the Mayor? It sounded vaguely similar to Michael Rosenbaum. They didn't specify in the credits.

18. hanumang

hanumang Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    George Newbern - who voiced Supes in Justice League/Justice League Unlimited - also voiced Superman/Clark Kent for (at least) this episode. The voices of Lois (Dana Delany) and Lex Luthor (Clancy Brown) are the same from S:TAS/JL/JLU. Not sure why Jimmy's voice is new though.

Don't know about the Mayor...

19. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    But what happened to Mayor West? ;)

20. Peter000

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    This was pre-West. :)