The Apple TV+ trailers thread

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cmontyburns, Aug 26, 2019.

1. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX

Advertisements

With Apple's TV+ service set to debut sometime this fall, the company is starting release trailers for series expected to be available at launch. I thought it might be fun to post them here and share any impressions of the shows.

As of this writing, we don't know what the service price and availability will be, so it's less interesting (to me) whether anyone thinks they will subscribe or not. I'm mostly curious about our impressions of the shows. Like, does this look like a good show to you, however you define "good"?

I'll follow this post with individual posts for the first few shows previewed. As others come, we can add them.

2. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    The first show to get any sort of preview was "For All Mankind". The logline is, basically, "What if America had lost the space race?" This is more of a sizzle reel than a trailer, in that it doesn't elaborate on the plot beyond what I just said.

It's a rich-looking show that seems like it will be a feast for the eyes. At the moment, though, I have a hard time envisioning myself watching it. I'm afraid that I spend enough time fretting over the decline of the country in real life that it's hard to imagine being entertained by a fiction positing one more way we fall short. But then, as Ebert would say, what matters is not what the thing is about, but how it is about it. If this is more of an uplifting, pick-ourselves-up-from-the-dirt affair, I could be in. Just don't know enough about the plot yet.

Great teaser, though.

3. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    The second show to get a trailer is "The Morning Show". It got a vague teaser a couple of weeks ago that I won't bother with here. A full trailer dropped last week. This is a behind-the-scenes look at the making of a fictional morning news show, based on Brian Stelter's nonfiction book, "Top of the Morning". The shows stars Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, Steve Carrell, and Billy Crudup. A specific plot is suggested by the trailer.

I've long been a huge fan of Aniston; I'm down for almost anything she does. But this looks really good to me aside from fandom. Could tip more into melodrama than I prefer, but the overall cast and behind-the-scenes talent is strong enough that I'm betting this is really solid. I'm there.

4. xuxa

xuxa Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2001
    This trailer was released last week

and the channel for all of them that is updated

Apple TV Trailers

5. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX

Advertisements

The third and most recent new show to get a trailer (which was released today, Aug. 26), is "Dickinson". This is based on the life of young Emily Dickinson. It stars Hailee Steinfeld, Jane Krakowski, and probably another name I am forgetting. I don't know the specific plot beyond that logline.

That's... interesting? I can't tell from this trailer if it's going for sort of a gothic, b***s-out crazy interpretation, if it's actually going to be kind of conventional but with its own style, how true-to-life the events are, etc. It kind of looks like "Sleepy Hollow" for poets. Weird, although I can't say I'm not intrigued.

6. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Hmmm

I had been seeing stuff about Morning Show on regular media.. Didn't know it was Apple . Cool its getting good press and buzz. Really great cast there

"Today" turned into a drama show :)

7. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I'm a sucker for alternate reality shows so "For All Mankind" looks right up my alley. I don't know if it's worth subscribing to Apple TV+ though.

jsmeeker likes this.
  8. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    So the M. Night Shyamalan show "Servant" premieres Nov. 28. Official trailer is out:

Um.