1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Americans, "The Summit" S06 E08

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TiVo'Brien, May 17, 2018.

1. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Multi-year Veteran

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    It was pretty shocking that Phillip comes right out and tells Elizabeth flat out that he's been communicating (through Oleg) with the Gorbachev supporters back home regarding Elizabeth's surveillance of Nesterenko, Gorbachev's hand-picked summit negotiator. Even more surprising, though, was Claudia coming out and telling Elizabeth she's just being used to help overthrow Gorbachev and no matter how faithful Nesterenko is, her report will be adjusted to turn the Central Committee against Gorbachev.

Regarding the sketches of P+E, I wonder if Stan recognizes more than he lets on to Aderholt. The sketches are pretty good if you already know what P+E look like. Stan is starting to put all the pieces together, though, and gets a free Roy Rogers for his troubles, lol.

I was surprised Phillip went ahead and rented a Russian movie. I wonder if he rented it under his 'real' name. Elizabeth is still cautious, though. She burns the painting she could barely fit into her Volare wagon. (I had to wonder if the producers picked the car first, then the painting's size, or the painting first, then said, "Hey, we're gonna need a station wagon for this huge thing!")

In the end, Elizabeth feels betrayed by the hardliners and gives her support to the Party loyalists, enlisting Phillip.

Discuss.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I was somewhat surprised that cold blooded Elizabeth didn't whack her boy toy when he put 2 and 2 together and didn't come up with 4. I was also kinda p.o.'d at her for taking that gigantic painting instead of a smaller one if she was just going to destroy it.

I'm on Team Stan and hopes he figures everything out. Even with Elizabeth's change of heart, P and E have killed too many people and destroyed too many lives to get away with it. They'll probably go into WITSEC and end up living in Bumfart, Arkansas with Henry wondering how he missed everything.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  3. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    So Russian spies can refuse orders and they let them just wander off with all the top secret info? I don't think so.

4. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Of course he does -- he doesn't want to go to Aderholt until he knows 100% what the deal is. This will either make his career, or kill it.

5. Marco

Marco Loyal Little

Sep 19, 2000
    Capital of...
    An ending that includes Elizabeth coming over to the American side? That would be immensely unsatisfying for me. That is just not who she is.

For the opposite reasons, I can't see them going back to the Soviet Union together, either.

Before last night, I thought one of P or E had to die by the end. Now I'm not so sure, but I still do not see them together.

6. Marco

Marco Loyal Little

Sep 19, 2000
    Capital of...
    So when Elizabeth was going to kill Nesterenko, what was her exit strategy there?

That was a very public setting, lots of people around, and she'd be only a few feet from those other two guys. Was she going to shoot them too? ... Then just run? Seems VERY dicey.

7. Marco

Marco Loyal Little

Sep 19, 2000
    Capital of...
    I don't either. Now we have a Claudia-Elizabeth Situation, particularly because Claudia still wants Nesterenko assassinated and E was off at the end of the hour to protect him.

8. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I think it was more of a poison dart or something similar and slow acting that wouldn't take effect until she's long gone. Just a guess.

9. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I had to chuckle when Elizabeth (rather abruptly) realized Phillip was right and went over to his side...and then gave him the stink-eye for getting there first.

How very Elizabeth!
    Even if it was a silenced gun, with the street noise they wouldn't hear anything, they'd just see their colleague keep over...by the time they realized he'd been shot, she'd be long gone.

10. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Multi-year Veteran

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    Anyone know why Phillip bought a new suit? They seemed to take particular effort to show this.

mooseAndSquirrel likes this.
  11. Marco

Marco Loyal Little

Sep 19, 2000
    Capital of...
    Yeah, now we have Chekhov's Suit to go with Chekhov's Cyanide Pill.

12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    As he mentioned to Stavos, he's into the good clothing and cars and...stuff. Basically, he's into stuff. But now, although he's still going through the motions, he's not into it.

13. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    But with his financial woes, why spend all that dough on a fancy new suit?

Maybe he knows it will be his last?

Marco likes this.
  14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Maybe he plans to do a dine-and-dash? :D

15. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    He was calling Henry before that. I suspect he was going to ask Henry to put him in touch with his freinds dad so he could talk about the travel agency/investment opportunities, so wanted the suit to look presentable for such a meeting.

16. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I didn't say she'd be happy. But it's better than being dead.

In another of my wild and clueless speculations, Claudia will probably subtly threaten Paige which will get her whacked before she can get P and E whacked.

17. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I can see Phillip racing through the food court, and getting tackled by a mall cop. They offer him a plea deal, but he can't afford the fine and doesn't want to spend 30 days in County, so he rolls over on Elizabeth, Claudia, and the Center.

Which leads to the biggest espionage bust in American hisotry. (Stan: "Missed it by THAT much!") But it's too late for Elizabeth, because when Paige found out Mom had betrayed the Motherland, she blew her brains out and went after Gorbachev herself. But she was too naive (stupid) to realize that she could never get within a block of the Russian leader on a state visit, and gets tackled by the Secret Service before she ever lays eyes on Gorby. She ends up in the padded cell next to John Hinkley's.

As for Henry, as part of Phillip's deal, the Feds pay for hockey camp. It never occurs to him to wonder whatever happened to his mother and sister, which is only fair since it never seems to have occurred to them what had happened to him for all those seasons.

Craigbob, weaver, Bribo and 1 other person like this.
  18. Marco

Marco Loyal Little

Sep 19, 2000
    Capital of...
    Very thorough, Rob, but doesn't account for the cyanide pill. :)

19. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    I thought one of the small pictures looked like Elizabeth and was thinking she'd take that one.

Marco likes this.
  20. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    People are assuming E told P about Claudia because it looks like she is flipping to the Gorbachev side. It may be she wants to find Phillips guy and whack him.